Variegated Winter Daphne, Fragrant Daphne
Daphne odora 'Marginata'

Family: Thymelaeaceae
Genus: Daphne (DAF-nee) (Info)
Species: odora (oh-DOR-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Marginata

Cathcart, Washington

Vancouver, Washington

Woodinville, Washington

On Nov 25, 2014, BetNC from Hendersonville, NC (Zone 7a) wrote:

This plant is easy to care for but slow growing (water and fertilizer only and it grew to a 4-5 foot mound in 3 years!).

I mentally cringed when I read that this plant was finicky and didn't tolerate moving well at all! Yet when I HAD to move it (the tree providing shade was cut down and within 2 days some leaves started curling up & dying), it survived and even immediately started thriving (moved in October when it already had buds: it didn't lose any buds and it grew even more buds!!).

On May 29, 2011, PKrager from Chinook, WA wrote:

I planted my daphne odora 30 years ago...It was the first plant put into the ground at what was then our new home on the Washington Coast. For the last few years the amount of blooms has been diminishing...I had none this year. Any suggestions that may return the blooms would be very welcome.

On May 12, 2010, wendymadre from Petersburg, VA wrote:

I just obtained a Daphne odora a couple of weeks ago, but I know others who have succeeded in growing them in this region, 7a, Middle South (in Petersburg, Richmond, and Varina). The nurseryman told me that it could be happy growing in a pot, in the shade. He also said that it could be moved to larger pots as it grew, but I've put it in a large one now as I've heard that daphnes are finicky and do not like to be transplanted. It will sit under a large red Japanese maple, able to be there in a pot, where the maple's roots are too thick for it to be in the ground. I am putting a Daphne 'Carol Mackie' next to it in another large pot. If problems develop, I'll report them.

On Nov 28, 2009, stormyla from Norristown, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

So far mine are prospering in my zone 6 garden. They are planted on the north side of the house which gets late afternoon sun. They lose their leaves after the coldest part of the winter, but grow new ones within 3 weeks of warmer weather. They don't lose their leaves every year, only in years of extremely frozen conditions.

On Jun 29, 2008, cedar18 from Lula, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

A beautiful rounded evergreen that blooms here in early March. The fragrance is delightful and so welcome at that time of year. Mine is by the front porch steps, north side, shade with a little morning sun.