PlantFiles: Larkspur, Candle Delphinium
Delphinium elatum 'New Millennium Pagan Purples'

Family: Ranunculaceae (ra-nun-kew-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Delphinium (del-FIN-ee-um) (Info)
Species: elatum (el-AH-tum) (Info)
Cultivar: New Millennium Pagan Purples
Additional cultivar information: (New Millennium series)
Hybridized by Dowdswell

Blue-Violet
Violet/Lavender

7.9 to 8.5 (alkaline)

Allow cut surface to callous over before planting
By air layering

Seed does not store well; sow as soon as possible

By dawndoll2

Thumbnail #6 of Delphinium elatum by Clary

By ms_greenjeans
Thumbnail #7 of Delphinium elatum by ms_greenjeans

Neutral kmm44 On Feb 3, 2015, kmm44 from Dayton, OH wrote:

I have not grown this specific plant, but have grown larkspur successfully. Several years ago, I planted several seed packets worth of purple, white and pink (mostly purple) larkspur. Don't remember what cultivar. They grew and flowered beautifully. When they were finished blooming I pulled them out and sprinkled the seeds all over the bed, hoping they would re-seed and come back. That happened for 3 yrs. Now I have lasagna-gardened the bed and it's hard to plant seeds due to the newspaper layer.
My question is--is this really a larkspur, the annual form of delphinium, or the perennial true delphinium? The comments make me wonder if the plant comes back with new plants through re-seeding or the same plants each year. I would love to get this plant because of the deep purple color and later blooming time.

Positive AmyInNH On Feb 2, 2015, AmyInNH from Brookline, NH wrote:

Planted within 2 feet of the house foundation, tucked in a corner, northfacing. Tall and lanky, this plant definitely needs staking, because the stems aren't strong enough to hold the weight of a heavy bloom. Spectacular color.

Positive ms_greenjeans On Jun 10, 2010, ms_greenjeans from Hopkins, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

I planted this delphinium last summer; this was my first attempt to grow these supposedly fussy plants. I got several blooms, cut the stalks down, and it rebloomed. The flowers are long lasting, so I would say the bloom period covered a majority of the summer. The stems are indeed brittle and broke off in some wind; I have staked it much more securely this year. Despite many people telling me this would likely not come back, it surely did and is large, full, and already blooming beautifully at the beginning of June. This variety is a really stunning deep purple and blue combination. I do bait for slugs and I put down some time-release fertilizer this spring; because of good rainfall I have only watered it a few times. It may or may not return again next year, but if it doesn't, I will absolutely go buy another one!
Update 2011: it's back, bigger and better than ever.
Update 2012: it's back, and at least three of the flower stalks are now 7 feet tall. It's fabulous!

Neutral Clary On Oct 14, 2009, Clary from Lewisburg, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

I grew my plant from seed, and though the flower color is the same as those pictured here, the flower stem was not full but lanky.

My pagan purple delphinium produced one stem of flowers. It bloomed for a few weeks and was absolutely extraordinary in beauty. As it obtained 5' I failed to stake it well enough and a bird landed on the stem and snapped it off.

This flower had violet inner petals with deep blue outer petals.

Positive ykw50 On Jul 29, 2009, ykw50 from Saint Paul, MN wrote:

Great plant! Bought it in a 3" pot, it grew huge and bloomed its first year, survived the winter just fine, and bloomed even better the 2nd year... and it really is a full 6 feet tall (not 36-48" as indicated on this page)! I had problems with aphids on 'Magic Fountains' delphinium but not on this one (so far). It requires some staking because of its height, but the stems are fairly rigid and do partially support themselves. After blooming, it had new growth coming up, so I cut the old stalks back to the ground. It is currently regrowing and will probably rebloom.

Hopkins, Minnesota