PlantFiles: Hakone Grass, Japanese Forest Grass
Hakonechloa macra 'Beni-kaze'

Family: Poaceae (poh-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Hakonechloa (hah-koh-nee-KLO-uh) (Info)
Species: macra (MAK-ruh) (Info)
Cultivar: Beni-kaze

Thumbnail #2 of Hakonechloa macra by plantaholic186

By plantaholic186
Thumbnail #3 of Hakonechloa macra by plantaholic186

Positive JenDion On Oct 15, 2014, JenDion from Litchfield, NH (Zone 5b) wrote:

I have had an odd experience with this plant. It is supposed to be green during the season going red in fall. I think this is my 3rd or 4th fall with it. It doesn't turn red in fall for me, BUT it has the most YELLOW foliage of all of the Hakone's I grow. I have Aureola and "All Gold", and neither is the consistent shade of pale yellow foliage that this one is. It is also smaller in stature than 'All Gold', being closer in size to Aureola. I received it in trade from a reliable trader, so I doubt that it's the wrong variety, though I suppose that is a possibility.

Neutral VA_GARDEN On Nov 8, 2009, VA_GARDEN from Hood, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

I planted 3 Beni-Kaze in the spring, and before I realized what was happening, 2 of them disappeared. Apparently voles find them to be very tasty; the roots were simply gone. I moved the remaining plant to a bed where voles have not been a problem, and it made it through the growing season. It will be interesting to see if it returns in the spring.

Neutral massnorth On Oct 21, 2009, massnorth from Topsfield, MA (Zone 6a) wrote:

This cultivar's claim to fame is that its green foliage turns red in fall. Great color! I'm adding this to the comments since no photos of that particular characteristic have been added.

Winnetka, Illinois