Fatsia, Paperplant 'Annelise'

Fatsia japonica

Family: Araliaceae
Genus: Fatsia (FAT-see-uh) (Info)
Species: japonica (juh-PON-ih-kuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Annelise

Winston Salem, North Carolina

Cayce, South Carolina

Goose Creek, South Carolina

On Oct 12, 2015, FlaFlower from Titusville, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

Plant does very well for me in central florida under an elm tree facing west, it just doesn't bloom but produces fab leaves for texture
It requires almost no care....really almost NONE

On Sep 30, 2013, Greggviking from Winston Salem, NC wrote:

Fatsia Japonica was planted in front of the house in densly shaded area, also planted in backyard next to a raised wooden deck, also in densly shaded area due to tall surrounding trees. No problems with yearly winter low temperatures of 16F degrees, even a light snow has not killed these 5 year old plants about 4-5 ft tall... Any direct sun on the leaves will burn them, but the dull winter sun directly on the leaves has proven not to be any problem. Tropical looking, beautiful and exotic shrub for a bare area that needs something special. Plants are located in zone 7b/8a area, so give it a try in a solid zone 7 area. Plants are not offered in Central NC nurseries, so purchased by a mail order nursery.

On Jul 20, 2013, gfmucci from The Villages, FL wrote:

Thrived for several months in Central Florida after I planted it in February. Then beginning in June it began a rapid decline (lost most of its leaves - leaves, drooped, yellowed and fell off. Not sure if it is because of the rains (too much water) or too much heat, or too little sun. It is planted under a Crepe Myrtle, so it gets partial shade when the Myrtle leafed out. It was planted a couple of inches above grade, so I am surprised if the roots were too wet, but I'm not sure. I raised it a couple more inches out of the ground, so I will see what it does over the next few weeks. July 20, 2013