Mexican Daisy, Santa Barbara Daisy, Dancing Daisy, Latin American Fleabane, Seaside Daisy

Erigeron karvinskianus

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Erigeron (er-IJ-er-on) (Info)
Species: karvinskianus (kar-winz-kee-AY-nus) (Info)

Pale Pink

This plant is resistant to deer

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

Antelope, California

Berkeley, California

Carmichael, California

Castro Valley, California

Clovis, California

Davis, California (2 reports)

Eureka, California

Manteca, California

Martinez, California (2 reports)

North Fork, California

Port Angeles, Washington

Union, Washington

On Sep 12, 2015, forker from London
United Kingdom wrote:

Amazing, pretty, robust, long-blooming daisy in sun or partial shade and grows on thin air apparently. Loves cracks in paving or walls. Invasive through self-seeding, so once established you'll never get rid of it, but easy enough to pull up unwanted seedlings as they appear. Gets untidy by the end of the year but you can shear it back hard at the end of winter and it will thank you for it. To propagate - if you think it desirable - simply hide a small pot of compost somewhere in amidst the plant and it will self seed in it, profusely.

On Oct 11, 2014, PeacefulMary from Antelope, CA wrote:

I love this plant! I'm growing it in a pot because I have dogs who would pee on it if it was in in the ground. They pee on all the good plants, never the weeds. Anyway, this lovely, delicate looking plant has survived the very hot and dry Summer here in the Sacramento, CA area and with very little water, since we're on rationing this year. It's the first time I've grown it and I didn't know what to expect, so I'm very pleased. A very pretty and hardy plant! This one is in the backyard getting Southern exposure. I'm going to buy more next Spring to put in the side yards where, if they spread like others have mentioned, it won't be a problem. Actually, that would be really nice and save me from having to figure out what else to do with those places :)

On Mar 23, 2013, kbavouset from West Covina, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

I do love that this plant is almost always blooming however, it spreads like a weed so it takes a lot of maintenance to keep in in place. Even if I pull all of it out it comes right back so I suppose I will let it stay there forever. The flowers bring a smile to my face every time I look at it.

I grow it in a raised flowerbed on the North side of a tall fence. This year I plan on planting some on the West facing side of the house to see if it will grow there with the same profusion as I have a problem with that bed.

On Apr 17, 2012, Twoflowers from Martinez, CA wrote:

Bright mass of flowers, make me smile: blooms almost constantly, easy to grow, drought tolerant, part shade or sun. It makes me look like I know what I am doing in the garden. Seeds itself and has taken up residence in spots all over our yard. I realize that might be a negative to some gardeners. My garden is the northern face of a hill in Martinez, CA (sunset zone 17).
The plant is reportedly a native of Mexico.

On May 18, 2010, Clary from Lewisburg, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

Tried many times to grow this in my mid-Atlantic perennial garden. As with many penstemon, my climate is too humid with too much rainfall and too little sunlight for this plant.

I always started them from seed and had lush little seedlings but they soon became thin, pale, and soft - they died away before flowering.

On Oct 23, 2004, hanna1 from Castro Valley, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

Here in zone 9 it's doing quite well, has not been invasive at all for me, my neighbor has one that she keeps trimming every season, looks great, and is kept at around 3ft.

On Aug 31, 2003, pleb from Plymouth,
United Kingdom (Zone 9a) wrote:

Around Plymouth, England, this little daisy-like plant has made itself at home. Masses of plants are frequently to be found growing on walls looking quite attractive.