Passionfruit, Granadilla, Qarandila, Maracuja, Passion Vine, Passionvine 'Purple Possum'

Passiflora edulis

Family: Passifloraceae (pas-ih-flor-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Passiflora (pass-iff-FLOR-uh) (Info)
Species: edulis (ED-yew-liss) (Info)
Cultivar: Purple Possum

Chartreuse (Yellow-Green)

From seed; germinate in a damp paper towel

Bakersfield, California

Orlando, Florida

New York City, New York

Erwin, Tennessee

On Oct 18, 2010, Blackwill from Bakersfield, CA wrote:

I also purchased a rooted "Possum Purple" cutting from Logees about 7 months ago. The plant immediately took off, and climbed to the top of my pergola in about 2 months time. It's mid-October now, and the vine has started to bloom profusely. No bees this time of year, I've been hand-pollinating.

I'm not getting any fragrance from the flowers, but what a beautiful show! I'm hoping at least one or two of the flowers set fruit before winter kill. Most just drop after a day or three.

Hopefully it will bloom earlier next year,and the bees will do their work on the flowers. Plety of pollen, that's for sure.

On Jan 21, 2010, PinetopPlanter from Auburn Four Corners, PA (Zone 5a) wrote:

I purchased a rooted cutting/plant from Logee's in late spring, 2009, and had it on our office windowsill in midtown Manhattan. After a number of weeks without significant growth, it really took off. We had flowers from late summer to fall, and two fruits, one of which I ate yesterday- January 20th, 2010. It was as good or better than ones I've purchased in the store. Two fruits do not a big harvest make, but for a NYC office windowsill, I was happy. The window DOES face south, and we are above most surrounding buildings, so the vine gets PLENTY of sun throughout the year. The fruit was a greenish-purple color.