PlantFiles: Anthurium, Salmon and Green Obake Anthurium
Anthurium 'Anuenue'

Family: Araceae (a-RAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Anthurium (an-THUR-ee-um) (Info)
Cultivar: Anuenue

Green

Blue-Green
Shiny/Glossy-Textured
Veined

Flowers are good for cutting

By htop
Thumbnail #1 of Anthurium  by htop

Thumbnail #2 of Anthurium  by Alexandros300

Thumbnail #3 of Anthurium  by Alexandros300

Thumbnail #4 of Anthurium  by Alexandros300

Positive Nickolock On Jul 9, 2012, Nickolock from Tifton, GA wrote:

For about three years now I've have this gorgeous valentine heart-shaped leaf and bloom as a houseplant. The ladies in particular love it. Just about anyone who sees it notices the heart-shaped leaves and blooms and comments. "God is love" is a Scripture that I like to think it represents quite well in these valentine shapes of leaf and bloom. Some anthuriums haved lance-shaped leaves, but this one is heart- shaped. It grows on a mostly shaded porch in summer and near a southern exposure window in winter. I purchased it at Lowe's late in the season (August-November) after it's arrival from Miami-Goulds, Florida plant production center. (Company not known). It was about two feet tall, pretty big, happy and blooming in the store. The price was a little high for me at $19.95 or slightly more and it stuck in my mind so much I thought anything that beautiful should be bought no matter the price. There was no sticker on the plant so I'm going by the picture posted here that is salmon and green that it is the "Anuenue" variety. It is in a dark wicker basket planter with a mystery interior since it is cemented in there very tightly and weighs about 5 pounds I've not bothered it nor dared to re-pot since it is quite happy like it is. The blooms begin salmon pink and gradually turn green around the edge and sometimes all green. Some blooms have pink veins visible in the green and they vary which adds interest. The plant had all these variations of blooms on it when purchased and still looks this way most of the year with an average of 6 to 12 blooms that are about 2 to 3 inches long. As a plant lover it is stunning. Some remain salmon pink for many weeks also. It is usually in bloom, but rests sometimes after a cold winter for some months before resuming its blooming during the summer and carrying over well indoors during the winter brightening the room at Christmas and New Year. The blooms last a long time, some have turned green and lasted it seems like a year. It has been kept in the same pot since I read that anthuriums like to be pot-bound and like well water or spring water without added chemicals. Water, but pour off excess so roots can breathe. If you like tropicals and can keep it from frost and freezing in winter this one is a keeper for sure. I also have about 3 more different variety of anthuriums, but this one is healthiest by far compared to the others and they do not bloom as much as this. I would love to see this planted more in tropical botanical gardens and no doubt would grow in shaded rich soil outdoors in zones 9-10. It may need to be taken in for winter protection even there, but indoors it has been fine during the winter. Internet photos suggest this grows outdoors year round in Hawaii and is used by florists and in leis. I am very enthusiastic about this anthurium. As with all houseplants keep your pets away and small children, don't let them chew leaves or blooms. The poodle I have has no problem as I keep it up on a table out of harm's way. Plants provide oxygen and beauty so the advantages are a winner.

Positive Alexandros300 On Aug 6, 2008, Alexandros300 from Aurora, CO wrote:

I have a Flamingo - Salmon Anthurium in which I had bought from Wal - Mart. ( I know it is not the best place, but they do not know about plants and therefore price them soo cheap).
I put my main plant near a window with decent amount of sun, though not direct. It is doing very well; it has three blooms and another one still opening up. I took of a rhizome with two large leaves and a small growth with only one root, placed it in a little bio degrade. container of soil, and so far it has been doing well. Once this develops roots, I will attempt to grow it on a lava rock. Here are some pictures of the plant and the separated rhizome.

Neutral htop On Oct 22, 2007, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

I have not grown this plant; however, I have observed it growing. Its bloom is bi-color consisting of a salmony tone and green.

Cautionary note:

The juice and sap of this plant contain oxalate crystals which can irritate the mouth, skin, tongue and throat. This can lead to stomach upset, throat swelling, breathing difficulties and burning pain. You should call a poison control center or your doctor if any of these symptoms appear following ingestion of any part of this plant.

The juice and sap of this plant may cause a skin irritation and/or a rash. Wash the affected area with soap and water as soon as possible after contact. Rashes may be very painful and very serious. You should call a poison control center or your doctor if symptoms appear following contact with this plant.

Sarasota, Florida