Clove Currant Vine

Ribes odorata

Family: Grossulariaceae
Genus: Ribes (RYE-bees) (Info)
Species: odorata (oh-dor-AY-tuh) (Info)

Flowers are good for cutting

Hazel Green, Alabama

Colorado Springs, Colorado

South Amana, Iowa

Hopewell Junction, New York

Millfield, Ohio

On Jun 5, 2013, Nejacobs from New Hempstead, NY wrote:

This currant grew to be six feet tall in the full sun of my grandmother's property 25 years ago. I thought it was a black currant back then. I haven't seen one since that time, but I never forgot its fragrance. Grandma called it a cinnamon bush. I was the one to discover that it was a currant. I would love to have one. It would extend the fragrance season in my yard. I already enjoy the fragrance of a Fringe Tree and an Elaeagnus angustifolia (Russian Olive). By the way, the Fringe Tree is non invasive, but the olive is very invasive.

On Jun 3, 2013, VCRAGAIN from Vernon, NJ wrote:

My plant is about 3 yrs old now, had flowers for 2 years but they do not have any fragrance ( which is why I am growing it !!) - no fruit yet either - will see what happens this year once flowers have gone (do I get fruit ? )
If no fruit either I may just give it's spot to something else !!

On Apr 14, 2012, pixilated from Hazel Green, AL (Zone 7a) wrote:

I found this plant growing under a large pin oak tree here on the property. It has bloomed regularly but produced little fruit, and that sporadically. I attribute this to the shade of the oak.
It is my intention to try moving a portion this plant to another area of our gardens with more sunlight and see if it improves the fruiting.
However, even without fruiting the plant is attractive for leaf shape and the fabulous fragrance in spring! I believe it would be attractive as a background planting in a border garden for these reasons alone.