Georgia basil

Calamintha georgiana

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Calamintha (kal-uh-MIN-tha) (Info)
Species: georgiana (jorj-ee-AY-nuh) (Info)
Synonym:Satureja georgiana

Douglasville, Georgia

Charleston, South Carolina

Ladys Island, South Carolina

On Jul 24, 2015, SavvyDaze from Lady's Island, SC (Zone 8b) wrote:

I planted 2 Georgia Calamintha (Georgia Savory) in the first week of September 2014 along my front sidewalk leading to the front porch facing southwest. The areas receives full sun from 11:30am -5:00pm in spring & summer & from 12:30pm-3:30pm in fall and winter. The soil was/is very sandy & slightly amended with Black Kow Composted Manure.

The plants were about a foot tall and wide when I first planted them in Sept of 2014 and full of tiny lavender/white flowers. Although I planted them in early September, temps were still in the high 80's during the day and they never wilted. I water them daily for a few weeks until the weather grew colder and then only watered them about twice a week.

They survived our 20F-40F degree winter days with no trouble, although I d... read more

On Apr 29, 2008, csn0315 from Summerdale, AL wrote:

I am a wholesale grower of butterfly perennials in south Alabama. Calamintha georgiana is one of my favorite native herbs. Not only does it grow in full sun and full shade, it is also evergreen. I have personally seasoned several chicken dishes and drank tea made from this plant. It not only is aromatic but also very flavorful. This plant is extremely hardy, even when planted in sandy soil and made to withstand the heat of the southern beach weather. I have known this plant to have no insects nor diseases. I propagate by cuttings at nearly any time of the year using shade and no hormones. I have good success with cuttings as long as I don't forget to water one day. Cuttings do not like being dry at all. This is a hidden treasure!