Beet
Beta vulgaris 'Touchstone Gold'

Family: Amaranthaceae
Genus: Beta (BET-uh) (Info)
Species: vulgaris (vul-GAIR-iss) (Info)
Cultivar: Touchstone Gold

Biennials

Vegetables

Not Applicable

Direct sow as soon as the ground can be worked

South Padre Island, Texas

On Mar 14, 2013, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Absolutely delicious and milder than regular red beets. It has a golden color, leaning towards orange. Maturity: 55 da. I planted a seedling in Dec 2012. This is one of those veggies I will always grow in my winter garden from now on. If you are on the fence about beets in general, this variety might just make you a convert. It still has that "dirt" taste, as my DH calls it, but much more delicate. I adore it! Juices well, roasts well; also excellent in salads and stir frys.

On Mar 20, 2011, Calalily from Deep South Coastal, TX (Zone 10a) wrote:

This beet is easy to grow, even if crowded in the rows. It has a wonderful flavor, especially when roasted. It grows well here.

On Dec 7, 2007, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

Touchstone Gold has green petioles and leaves, and retains its golden color when cooked. Very good germination and excellent, sweet flavor. Compared to Golden Beet, Touchstone Gold has a better germ, more uniformly round roots, much smoother shoulders, and less zoning.