PlantFiles: Jewels of Opar, Fame Flower
Talinum paniculatum 'Limon'

Family: Portulacaceae
Genus: Talinum (tal-I-num) (Info)
Species: paniculatum (pan-ick-yoo-LAY-tum) (Info)
Cultivar: Limon

Rose/Mauve
Magenta (Pink-Purple)

Chartreuse/Yellow
Succulent

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed

By jnana
Thumbnail #1 of Talinum paniculatum by jnana

Thumbnail #2 of Talinum paniculatum by DaylilySLP

Thumbnail #3 of Talinum paniculatum by DaylilySLP

Thumbnail #4 of Talinum paniculatum by DaylilySLP

Positive millieac On Apr 6, 2014, millieac from Frankfort, KY wrote:

Yes, it IS invasive even here where it dies out in the winter, but the seedlings pop up in every conceivable place the next spring and summer. I can well understand that it is a pest in warmer climes. I started with a seed packet 12 years ago and I still have plenty.
I do love the flower stems though, and excellent, long lasting filler in bouquets and as a bunch by themselves. It even is great for drying. The leaves are an attractive lemon color and the plant itself is great for container gardening.
It works in any soil in full sun. It can be used in drier soil. Just be prepared to pick out the seedlings next spring where you had it the previous year

Positive aliceft On Jul 11, 2012, aliceft wrote:

I bought this plant 3 years ago and just this week discovered the name of it in Birds and Blooms. I have shared it with many friends. It does well here in pots, shade and sun. I love it. Just hoe up the unwanted plants. It reseeds each year.

Negative purplepetunia On Apr 26, 2012, purplepetunia from Savannah, GA (Zone 8b) wrote:

a friend gave this to me about 20 years ago and I can't
get rid of it!
I have dug up many of them thru the years.
very invasive in Savannah.

Positive buckeyegeorge On Sep 20, 2011, buckeyegeorge from Fruit Hill, OH (Zone 6b) wrote:

Love this plant. Have it in two round containers as the centerpiece surrounded by sunpatiens. The leaf color and long panicles offer such interest. My first year with them and I'm planning many more next summer. It's already started baby sprouts from seedlings around the countainer on the ground.

Positive minnesotaronnie On Aug 5, 2011, minnesotaronnie from Ely, MN wrote:

First bought this plant as a filler in a whiskey barrel about 5 years ago. The next spring I noticed seedlings I didn't recognize coming up in the barrel. They turned out to be Limon. I moved some into the yard here and there and now have them coming up every spring. A fast grower once they get going and easy to grow in Zone 3. You must not disturb the soil in the spring or the seeds will get buried too deeply to germinate.

Positive KCtoo On Jun 24, 2011, KCtoo from Colleyville, TX wrote:

This plant is easy to grow and does well in the Texas heat. These were planted along with other plants in large pots and were bought as an annual. However, this spring, I had MANY, MANY plants come up from seed....in the pots and in soil around the porch. So I give it a win-win for reseeding and easy growth as well as beautiful coloration and heighth. However, this could be a very invasive plant if you aren't a very hands on gardener!

Positive kobwebz On Aug 12, 2010, kobwebz from columbia, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

Wonderful unusual annual here in NY. great when planted in mass.

Positive piano13 On Aug 11, 2009, piano13 from Moscow, ID wrote:

I use this plant as part of a wine barrel planter on my front porch. In full sun, tho shade from 3pm on. Here in North Idaho, I use it as an annual, so I collect the seed heads for next years' plants. In a container, the stems with flowers grow about a foot long, and don't flop. Leaves to 6"; it works well for me. Love the chartreuse leaves!

Positive BUFFY690 On Aug 5, 2009, BUFFY690 from Prosperity, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

I recieved this plant from an employee from Riverbanks Zoo in South Carolina. The little chartreuse plants were escaping their home out into the walkway. There was nothing on the plants sems but the pods crazy me I thought these were the flowers at the time. I am putting them into my garden next spring and letting then go into competiton with the other wild like things I grow.
As well as use then in containers.

Positive tscarff On May 29, 2009, tscarff from Jackson, MS wrote:

This plant is beautiful and very unusual. Easy to grow.

Negative wren107 On Oct 4, 2008, wren107 from Jacksonville, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

This plant can become invasive. Here in North Florida in is a perennial, and it is hard to get rid of. When you try to pull it up it brakes off.

Positive jsknutson On Mar 4, 2008, jsknutson from Buford, GA wrote:

In North Georgia (7a) we can grow this an annual. I only planted in August and by October it had grown by leaps and bounds. Reseeds over and over. The tall thin shoots come up with little berry like seed pods. The plant is a beautiful bright green and the shoots are deep pink or purple. I brought two little plants inside and they are still doing well on my windowsill. I will plant them outside in April.
I also should add that it did really well during our record drought this year.

Wetumpka, Alabama