Jewels of Opar, Fame Flower 'Limon'

Talinum paniculatum

Family: Portulacaceae
Genus: Talinum (tal-I-num) (Info)
Species: paniculatum (pan-ick-yoo-LAY-tum) (Info)
Cultivar: Limon

Magenta (Pink-Purple)

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed

Wetumpka, Alabama

Colleyville, Texas

Liberty Hill, Texas

North Richland Hills, Texas

On Feb 28, 2015, poeciliopsis from Phoenix, AZ wrote:

Central Arizona -- As an AZ native plant, Talinum paniculatum does well here. I grow the Limon cultivar, which unlike it's parental stock seems to prefer to be an annual rather than perennial. It reseeds but no individual plant gets larger than about 6 inches tall and about the same width.

On Nov 16, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

Very handsome plant (self-sowing annual here) grown primarily for its chartreuse foliage. The flowers and seedpods are attractive, too, but only on close inspection---they have a see-through quality, and form a gauzy cloud that hovers over the foliage.

The foliage stays under about six inches, and when placing this plant in the border or in containers, that's the height it's important to remember. Among taller plants, it will get lost.

Tough, trouble-free.

Yes, this is can be a fairly aggressive self-sower, but the seeds fall near the parent plant, and when I got tired of it, I was able to eliminate it from the garden without too much work. BTW, the chartreuse-foliage trait comes 100% true by seed.

Now I'm looking to grow it again... read more

On Apr 6, 2014, millieac from Frankfort, KY wrote:

Yes, it IS invasive even here where it dies out in the winter, but the seedlings pop up in every conceivable place the next spring and summer. I can well understand that it is a pest in warmer climes. I started with a seed packet 12 years ago and I still have plenty.
I do love the flower stems though, and excellent, long lasting filler in bouquets and as a bunch by themselves. It even is great for drying. The leaves are an attractive lemon color and the plant itself is great for container gardening.
It works in any soil in full sun. It can be used in drier soil. Just be prepared to pick out the seedlings next spring where you had it the previous year

On Jul 11, 2012, aliceft wrote:

I bought this plant 3 years ago and just this week discovered the name of it in Birds and Blooms. I have shared it with many friends. It does well here in pots, shade and sun. I love it. Just hoe up the unwanted plants. It reseeds each year.

On Apr 26, 2012, purplepetunia from Savannah, GA (Zone 8b) wrote:

a friend gave this to me about 20 years ago and I can't
get rid of it!
I have dug up many of them thru the years.
very invasive in Savannah.

On Sep 20, 2011, buckeyegeorge from Fruit Hill, OH (Zone 6b) wrote:

Love this plant. Have it in two round containers as the centerpiece surrounded by sunpatiens. The leaf color and long panicles offer such interest. My first year with them and I'm planning many more next summer. It's already started baby sprouts from seedlings around the countainer on the ground.

On Aug 5, 2011, minnesotaronnie from Ely, MN wrote:

First bought this plant as a filler in a whiskey barrel about 5 years ago. The next spring I noticed seedlings I didn't recognize coming up in the barrel. They turned out to be Limon. I moved some into the yard here and there and now have them coming up every spring. A fast grower once they get going and easy to grow in Zone 3. You must not disturb the soil in the spring or the seeds will get buried too deeply to germinate.

On Jun 24, 2011, KCtoo from Colleyville, TX wrote:

This plant is easy to grow and does well in the Texas heat. These were planted along with other plants in large pots and were bought as an annual. However, this spring, I had MANY, MANY plants come up from the pots and in soil around the porch. So I give it a win-win for reseeding and easy growth as well as beautiful coloration and heighth. However, this could be a very invasive plant if you aren't a very hands on gardener!

On Aug 12, 2010, kobwebz from columbia, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

Wonderful unusual annual here in NY. great when planted in mass.

On Aug 11, 2009, piano13 from Moscow, ID wrote:

I use this plant as part of a wine barrel planter on my front porch. In full sun, tho shade from 3pm on. Here in North Idaho, I use it as an annual, so I collect the seed heads for next years' plants. In a container, the stems with flowers grow about a foot long, and don't flop. Leaves to 6"; it works well for me. Love the chartreuse leaves!

On Aug 5, 2009, BUFFY690 from Prosperity, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

I recieved this plant from an employee from Riverbanks Zoo in South Carolina. The little chartreuse plants were escaping their home out into the walkway. There was nothing on the plants sems but the pods crazy me I thought these were the flowers at the time. I am putting them into my garden next spring and letting then go into competiton with the other wild like things I grow.
As well as use then in containers.

On May 29, 2009, tscarff from Jackson, MS wrote:

This plant is beautiful and very unusual. Easy to grow.

On Oct 4, 2008, wren107 from Jacksonville, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

This plant can become invasive. Here in North Florida in is a perennial, and it is hard to get rid of. When you try to pull it up it brakes off.

On Mar 4, 2008, jsknutson from Buford, GA wrote:

In North Georgia (7a) we can grow this an annual. I only planted in August and by October it had grown by leaps and bounds. Reseeds over and over. The tall thin shoots come up with little berry like seed pods. The plant is a beautiful bright green and the shoots are deep pink or purple. I brought two little plants inside and they are still doing well on my windowsill. I will plant them outside in April.
I also should add that it did really well during our record drought this year.