Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Chinese Globe Flower

Trollius chinensis

Family: Ranunculaceae (ra-nun-kew-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Trollius (TROLL-ee-us) (Info)
Species: chinensis (chi-NEN-sis) (Info)
Synonym:Trollius ledebourii

East Port Orchard, Washington

Pullman, Washington

South Prairie, Washington

On Jan 23, 2016, JBtheExplorer from Southeast, WI wrote:

I don't care for non-native plants anymore, however this plant was well worth adding. I bought it for use along my garden pond, but later divided it and put some in my bog. Not only does it do well in average soil, but it also does well in a half inch of water in my bog. The blooms are bigger than I expected from the photo, and I was happy to see it bloom for about a full month. The foliage is also worth noting. This plant would be worth adding even if it did not flower. The flowers do produce seed, though I have not seen more than three or four seedlings emerge on their own. I did collect seeds a few seasons ago and grew them for my mom. The plant is very easy to grow from seed.

On Jun 19, 2007, akcrafter from Philadelphia, PA wrote:

I grew this trollius very successfully in Anchorage Alaska. It didn't care about moisture, soil ph, sun or shade. The flower heads must be cut before the seeds mature or you will have more trollius than anyone would want. I found when I planted the late blooming trollius it tended to bully out the early blooming variety.

Now I am in Philadelphia and will need to see how it does here. It looks gorgeous with spirea, bright yarrows, astilbe, ninebark and ligularia.

One of my all time favorites! And, when you get too many you can pot them up and share them with friends. I've dug them and thrown them into pots in the fall--without any soil--and found that when the snow melted in the spring they were ready to go. Amazing.