PlantFiles: Globe Flower
Trollius europaeus

Family: Ranunculaceae (ra-nun-kew-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Trollius (TROLL-ee-us) (Info)
Species: europaeus (yoo-ROH-pay-us) (Info)

From seed; stratify if sowing indoors

Collect seedhead/pod when flowers fade; allow to dry

Thumbnail #1 of Trollius europaeus by Weezingreens

By Lala_Jane
Thumbnail #6 of Trollius europaeus by Lala_Jane

Neutral clematis11 On Jan 9, 2014, clematis11 from balclutha
New Zealand wrote:

I had trouble with this plant in the winter when it got too wet. It is best divided in summer or early spring, I am told. It grows in New Zealand

Positive grogan On May 23, 2009, grogan from Markham

This plant has been in my back garden for ten years (one of my first purchases). We live in Markham Ontario Canada and it blooms, dies off slowly but delicately over the summer only to return happy the next spring, no matter the challenges of winter. I have never tried to obtain a second flush but will try deadheading as suggested. It is my sweetheart plant because of its sunny and upright "disposition". In fact, I am very attached to it for some reason. I have never moved as it is very happy where it is and have now purchased a second one for another spot in the garden. It is not invasive where we live (would that it were) and I regret that its bloom time doesn't last longer. What a SUNNY disposition this plant has

Positive Carolyn22 On Dec 25, 2008, Carolyn22 from Athens, PA (Zone 5b) wrote:

I love this plant - the flowers are so unique and such a sunny color. I have found that with deadheading, I get another flush of these sun colored flowers. A real joy in the garden.

Positive akcrafter On Jun 19, 2007, akcrafter from Philadelphia, PA wrote:

I love both the orange and yellow trollius. In Anchorage Alaska they seem happy anywhere and everywhere. I have had them in deep shade where they flourished but were not very large and in hot bright sun where they were dazzling. Mine have done well in both dry areas and moist areas. Driving up to my house when they are in bloom and spread throughout the garden is a wonderous sight.

A caution. I now know why the trollius is expensive in nurseries. Once you have one or two they take off and reproduce madly. I have learned to cut the flower tops off before the seeds mature. When I didn't my lawn and beds were packed with little baby plants. Those seeds really take off. Of course, southcentral Alaska is prime country with its long sunny and not too hot summer days. Now I have moved to Philadelphia and will see how they do here,

While it is easy to label them as invasive it is just as easy to pot up the young adult plants and share with friends. I have never found mine unmanageable--as long as I stay vigilant.

Positive jrbkwisatz On Jun 29, 2005, jrbkwisatz from Westchester, IL wrote:

I bought several small plants which have bloomed nicely. The stem on these young plants needed staking during spring storms, but continue to produce the most beautiful delicate flowers. I can find no information on what to do after the petals have fallen off the flower. I presume I leave the buds to drop off as they are Rhizomes. Is there anything I should do from here. Where do the next round of flowers come from?

Positive CatskillKarma On Jul 16, 2004, CatskillKarma from West Kill, NY wrote:

This plant is very well behaved in my garden in the Catskill mountains of NY zone 4b. The leaves are about a foot high, and the flower stalks extend about a foot above the leaves. I do have wild buttercups that get to be four or five feet tall, but this is nowhere near that unwieldy, and even a little on the undernourished looking side. It is in pretty heavy clay soil that is usually soggy and gets half a day of sun, shaded by a Serbian spruce when the sun is high, so I guess the soil is on the acid side.

Negative shortcm On Jul 15, 2004, shortcm from Wilmington, DE (Zone 7b) wrote:

In southeastern Pennsylvania, it was very pretty with bright yellow flowers against dark green leaves, but became invasive and hard to get rid of by digging roots. It grew

Positive aziga On May 31, 2004, aziga from Gordon, WI (Zone 3a) wrote:

dear gardening friends -- I must admit to being a bit mystified by information on the height of the Trollius europaeus. Two years ago, a master gardener friend living in Zone 4 gave me one to transplant onto my Zone 3A property. The first year, it was in sandy soil, about 15 feet from a lake and in full sun. It did well, growing to a height of about 4.5 feet despite the high winds and a hard winter freeze. But, last spring, I moved it to a garden closer to my home. With richer soil, also moist, but with no added fertilizer, in morning sun-afternoon shade, and with less wind, it grew to 8 feet tall (above the roof line ond the first floor of my home) and had many blooms. But it so dwarfed the remainer of the garden that, today, I am scouting for another location on the property.

Positive Weezingreens On Aug 31, 2002, Weezingreens from Seward, AK (Zone 3b) wrote:

Trollius europaeus, Globe Plant, does very well in our moist Southcentral Alaskan soil. My globe plant was given to me by a friend from root division. Its second spring, it grew to about 3 feet tall and put out many blooms.

The leaf of the trollius europaeus resembles a geranium (cranesbill) leaf, and is a dark waxy green. The flowers rise above the foliage on tall stiff stems. The flower resembles a partially opened buttercup.

In order to grow trollius from seed, the seed must be stratified. When sowing the seed indoors in containers, maintain a temperature between 60 and 70 degrees for around two weeks or a month, then chill down to about 25 degrees for at least a month, then between 40 to 50 degrees. Always keep the seeds moist during the process. Some plants self seed.

Anchorage, Alaska