Angel's Fishing Rod, Fairy Wand, Wandflower
Dierama pulcherrimum

Family: Iridaceae (eye-rid-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Dierama (dy-er-AH-muh) (Info)
Species: pulcherrimum (pul-KAIR-ih-mum) (Info)
Synonym:Sparaxis pulcherrima

Bulbs

Rose/Mauve

Magenta (Pink-Purple)

Blue-Violet

Violet/Lavender

Seed does not store well; sow as soon as possible

Berkeley, California

Ridgefield, Washington

negative

On Jan 20, 2015, Sillyoldgit from Dunedin
New Zealand wrote:

We planted a few of these in our garden here in Dunedin, in the south islamd, New Zealand. A friend dug up some plants and gave them to us. They flowered the first year and subsequently self seeded. We now can't get rid of them, they grow out form the middle of other established plants and are almost impossible to pull out, breaking off just below ground level. They would be great down a long drive way but in our experience a clump in a mixed boarder won't stay a clump for long, unless you are meticulous in dead heading before they go to seed. I wish we hadn't planted them.

On Jan 19, 2015, joycreek from Scappoose, OR wrote:

We have been growing this plant in our display gardens near Portland, Oregon for 20 years. (USDA Zone 8) We have tried twelve forms/selections of Dierama pulcherrimum with varying degrees of success. For us they perform best in full sun, well drained soil and with some summer water. When they are happy they are fabulous. By inter-planting them with dome deciduous shrubs the plants have been hardy to the 15-20 degree Fahrenheit range but they are always deciduous for us.
Another species, Dierama dracomontanum (pumilum) has been evergreen to 15 degrees F. and the corms hardy to 7 degrees F. The flowers on this plant face upright and it is shorter (four feet) than pulcherrimum which tops out at about eight feet.

On Jun 7, 2011, patsalvia from Orleans
France wrote:

Beautiful plant, gracious 1.5 m tall "fishing rods" with multiple pink bell-shaped flowers. Resists -15 c and snow without protection.
It took 4 years after planting to flower, which seems characteristic of this particular plant, but it is worth the wait!

On Feb 18, 2008, ncdirtdigger from Waxhaw, NC wrote:

I started growing this plant 4 years ago. I bought 2 and put one in the ground and one in a pot so I could move it around if neccessary. The one in the ground in full sun did much better than the one in the pot, so the following year I planted it as well. It is a semi evergreen for me and I cut back the foliage each year in late winter. It is a delicate looking plants that has small tubular flowers and the slightest breeze causes them to dance in the wind. I don't give it any extra protection and would highly recommend this plant.

On Jun 29, 2006, conklin007 from Aberdeen, WA wrote:

I see this plant doing well in public plantings in Long Beach, WA as well as at the community college in Aberdeen, WA. I must assume that it is well suited to our coastal climate, cool summers and warm wet winters. Very striking specimen and a recent addition to my coastal garden.

On Apr 18, 2004, angelam from melbourne
Australia wrote:

I'm in my second year of patient waiting for flowers. The plants seem healthy so I live in hope. I bought them as I'd seen them flowering in Southern Tasmania, where every old garden has large clumps of them and in many places they've also colonised the grass verges. They must be among the most graceful flowers available.

In Australia they call them 'Fairy fishing-rods'.

On Mar 4, 2002, Dynamo wrote:

"Angels Fishing Rod" Semi-evergreen perennial with bell-like rosy-crimson flowers from August to October. Plant in sun or semi-shade and average soil. Lime tolerant.
Angel's fishing rod...belongs to a genus of evergreen clump-forming corms. It has tall arching stems bearing funnel or bell shaped flowers. The plant thrives growing in large clumps on a river bank. In favourable conditions Dierama can grow to a height of 1.5m. It dislikes being moved but if happy will self seed around the garden.
This plant is frost hardy to -5C. As is so often the case some patience is needed before it produces flower but, once it starts,each year brings some more of those beautiful graceful arching stems. The wait is well worth the reward of enjoying Angel's fishing

On Aug 31, 2001, jody from MD &, VA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Lift and store corms in frost free area during winter