PlantFiles: Stictocardia, Hawaiian Sunset Vine, Hawaiian Bells
Stictocardia beraviensis

Family: Convolvulaceae (kon-volv-yoo-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Stictocardia (stik-toh-KAR-dee-uh) (Info)
Species: beraviensis (ber-av-ee-EN-sis) (Info)

USDA Zone 10a: to -1.1 °C (30 °F)
USDA Zone 10b: to 1.7 °C (35 °F)
USDA Zone 11: above 4.5 °C (40 °F)

From hardwood cuttings

By fleurone
Thumbnail #6 of Stictocardia beraviensis by fleurone

By EmmaGrace
Thumbnail #7 of Stictocardia beraviensis by EmmaGrace

Negative Mjcaliandro On Nov 26, 2014, Mjcaliandro from Sugar Land, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Planted in Spring 2013 and took off immediately. Preferred the tree rather than the fence. Saying it's a vigorous climber is putting it mildly--high maintenance keeping it in check. Like my neighbor in nearby Houston, I MAY have tolerated if it had ever bloomed.

The vine severely died back in a winter freeze so I dug it up and said good riddance before it sprung back into action.

Negative mjbivens On Nov 10, 2014, mjbivens from Houston, TX wrote:

Should be sold as a set - with a machete.
Planted mine from a qt pot last spring.
It is now 14' high-20' across and keeps sending out new tendrils up into my my trees and down across the ground.
I guess I could live with all that if it had ever bloomed.

Neutral Yardslave1 On Oct 14, 2014, Yardslave1 from Hollywood, FL wrote:

A beautiful vine. slightly aggressive if not kept in check. im zone 10b and I left my house in Mid june, when I got back first week of August, this vine was totally up the custom built 20 ft trellis archway and 6 ft out on the sides. My wife called about a month after I left and said It was getting out of control. On my return I had to cut so much of it back it died. It was kept in 2 hours morning sun and then mostly shade rest of day. I have seen these grown in full sun and do just fine. Full shade makes for a stringy vine but it still flowers none the less. I know others who have bought this vine and they all loved it initially and eventually got rid of it one reason or another. would I buy it again? maybe! treat it like an annual.

Positive Gardeniascent On May 28, 2014, Gardeniascent from Tavares, FL wrote:

We planted this outside on a trellis and the vines are taking over everything around it but we have not gotten more than one to two blooms. We are in Tavares, Florida. Does this vine only bloom certain times of the year?

Positive watonga On Nov 23, 2013, watonga from Old Forge, PA wrote:

i purchased plant in may from top tropics of Florida. the plant came in 3 gallon container and in great shape. i planted in a 25inch pot,place outside in sun and grew like you see in a magazine. 4 feet wide 15 feet long and lots of flowers. cut back in fall and put in garage were its is starting new growth.

Positive keygirl On Mar 6, 2013, keygirl from Key Largo, FL wrote:

I live in Key Largo and bought this plant in October of 2011. It was in bloom @ the time and has been in bloom ever since....definitely a full sun plant for me.

Neutral gruwellfam2 On Jan 1, 2013, gruwellfam2 from Seattle, WA wrote:

I live in Seattle, Wa. I suspect I would grow this outside?? Some tender plants make it through the winter. I put newspaper down around the base, then I mulch about 3 inches. Even if it doesn't survive outside I can do cuttings and seeds. Sometimes, ( a lot lately) the sun is an issue. Any words of wisdom??

Positive BonnieGardens On Oct 23, 2012, BonnieGardens from Clermont, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

Got the plant from a nursery in Ohio about a month ago. It has grown fast and now has buds on it. Can't wait to see the blossoms as pictures are beautiful. I will try to propogate by cuttings and seeds if I get pods.
Bonnie

Neutral KJara On Jun 4, 2012, KJara from Fort Myers , FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

Hello, I recently planted one of these Hawaiian Bell vines and I must say it is quite a vigorous grower. . . So I'm pleased with the growth, however it has only bloomed one flower that lasted 1-2 days and hasn't bloomed since. Does it have a problem or is this normal? Also, I just noticed today some white bumps under some of the leaves...does anyone know what these are (a couple leaves have smaller black dots also). I also have a caterpillar resting within the vine.

Positive laughingwillow On Sep 15, 2011, laughingwillow from Englewood, FL wrote:

Gorgeous vine even when not in bloom. Just got some cuttings from a friend. To the hummingbird poster in the forums trying to propagate her vine: look for aerial roots coming off the stem and include these in your cutting, plant in a pot, keep moist and out of the sun for a while to "baby it". Mine have done fine. Gradually introduce to sun after it has taken root and voila! Now you have 2 healthy plants. Sorry I couldnt reply in the forums. Dave wanted money (??)

Positive SierraTigerLily On Feb 4, 2011, SierraTigerLily from Boca Raton, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

I live in zone 10B, where during "winter" I have precious few plants in bloom. This plant is the exception. Even right after a cold spell, it was putting out blooms in January.

I have heard that some people who bought this from Logee's actually have Stictocardia umbellata. I'll take some cuttings to Fairchild Tropical Botanical Gardens to identify my plant.

Positive Kiyzersoze On May 30, 2010, Kiyzersoze from Coral Springs, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

The flowers on this vine glow. They are amazing!! If you can grow it I highly recommend it.

Positive happy_girl On Nov 18, 2009, happy_girl from Redondo Beach, CA (Zone 10b) wrote:

Speedy grower, beautiful buds and flowers. I love the heart shaped leaves. The smell (have to get close) is a bit odd but I'm hoping that means critters will stay away!

Positive Dutchlady1 On Mar 17, 2006, Dutchlady1 from Naples, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

Absolutely gorgeous blooms; this plant is blooming for me in mid-March in zone 10

Positive JRush On Jan 20, 2006, JRush from Guilford, CT (Zone 6b) wrote:

I purchased a small specimen from Logee's, & within 2 months it was loaded with buds. It is unusual for them to blossom in January, but Logee's confirmed theirs were also in bloom. Edema may form on the undersides of the leaves, due to fluctuations in temperature or humidity, but will not harm the plant. Pruning will ensure a bushy compact form. Blossoms seem to last a day or two, & have a sharp scent - not at all sweet!
Julie

Oldsmar, Florida
Orlando, Florida
Saint Petersburg, Florida
Satellite Beach, Florida
Sebastian, Florida (2 reports)
Tampa, Florida