Bullocks Bottle Brush
Aloe tauri

Family: Aloaceae
Genus: Aloe (AL-oh) (Info)
Species: tauri (TOR-eye) (Info)

Cactus and Succulents

positive

On Oct 12, 2010, baiissatva from Dunedin
New Zealand wrote:

Zone 9b coastal otago NZ

After many travails I finally procured a taurii and it's quickly become one of my faves, for it's weird octopoid elongation (mine has this anyway, I see some plants are far more tentacular looking than others) and the amazing bakelite red colouration, down here in response to UV rather than cold. While my other reddening aloes just sort of go coppery, this one really pulls out the stops and turns ruby.
The only thing that comes close to it's dramatic shade is my capitata, which turns such a deep amethyst purple in spring that it looks like I sprayed it with car paint!

No dramas so far, spent winter outside without damage, looking forward to some good growth this summer.

Will report back if anything funky strikes,... read more

On Feb 11, 2008, Porphyrostachys from Portland, OR (Zone 8b) wrote:

This species is superficially similar to Aloe spicata, and for a while was lumped under that species until a fairly recent treatment of the Aloe genus in Zimbabwe where it was restored as a valid species. This is a blushing Aloe that turns red under cold conditions or in times of drought much like Aloe vanbalenii or A. dorotheae. The nectar of Aloe tauri is clear whereas the nectar of Aloe spicata is brown. Aloe tauri also seems to have leaves that are more recurved with a stronger tendency to blush than A. spicata.