PlantFiles: Oriental-Trumpet Lily, OT Hybrid, Orienpet Lily
Lilium 'Purple Prince'

Family: Liliaceae (lil-ee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Lilium (LIL-ee-um) (Info)
Cultivar: Purple Prince

Purple

Flower Shape:
Trumpet

Bloom Size:
3" to 6" (76 mm to 150 mm)

Color Pattern:

Flowers are good for cutting

By dividing the bulb's scales

Thumbnail #1 of Lilium  by Joy

Thumbnail #2 of Lilium  by Joy

Thumbnail #3 of Lilium  by Joy

Thumbnail #4 of Lilium  by Joy

Thumbnail #5 of Lilium  by lilylover55

Thumbnail #6 of Lilium  by lilylover55

Thumbnail #7 of Lilium  by lilylover55

Positive eolivas103 On Jun 17, 2014, eolivas103 from Las Cruces, NM (Zone 8a) wrote:

This plant grows and flowers great in both sun and partial shade, although sun gives you more blooms. This is the 3rd year I have grown it and the tallest of the bunch is about 4 feet. With regard to the color - Once again a plant that has an absolutely beautiful color to it and they advertise it as something else - Why? It's true color is just as pretty in my book as the deeper purple they advertise it as. But it does upset me when vendors do this because lots of us only have so much space and if you are trying to balance colors or put two complimenting colors together, this becomes a big disappointment. False Advertising aside, I highly recommend this Lily.

Positive baiissatva On Jan 18, 2012, baiissatva from Dunedin
New Zealand wrote:

I've grown to expect breeder and retailer images to be complete b*llsh*it over the years; frankly, I don't know how they get away with misrepresenting their stock so blatantly. This isn't a blue-purple lily as others here have also noted; it is however a very intense and lovely magenta purple on a graceful, hardy, 6 foot plus now plant that I give no attention to whatsoever. With a nice penetrating fragrance to boot.

It's easy to get complacent about these marvelous hybrids, but they really are knockouts and seem to bypass all the tiresome traits of their parent lilies. Maybe we shouldn't complain! I recommend this variety as being particularly vigorous, along with white triumphator and black dragon etc. Very strong performer for the back of the border.

Negative shortleaf On Jul 22, 2011, shortleaf from suburban K.C., MO (Zone 6a) wrote:

I am with some others that the color is not purple. It should be called the "Brecks White Prince Lily Tree with some Lavender on it". A disappointment because I specifically wanted purple. They also don't appear to open all the way up like regular lilies. If things change as the plant grows, if its good I'll edit or delete my entry here. There isn't a place here to post my photo of it I took today, so it'll be in Plantfiles. I was fortunate enuff to have a coupon for this purchase, but if I had known the color was way off I'd have gotten something else. Surely they don't give coupon users whatever they want!

Neutral roosterlorn On Jan 1, 2011, roosterlorn from Pleasant Prairie, WI wrote:

Not the deep purple that current marketing photo shows--more of a dark fuschia pink. Color stable full sun to shade. Very hardy. Other than color--nice plant.

Positive lilylover55 On Aug 5, 2009, lilylover55 from Winnipeg

I found that the flower was not the dark purple color that I expected. More of a deep dark pink/magenta. Green markings are beautiful and lovely fragrance.

Boise, Idaho