Ural False Spiraea 'Sem'

Sorbaria sorbifolia

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Sorbaria (sor-BAY-ree-uh) (Info)
Species: sorbifolia (sor-bee-FOH-lee-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Sem

Belleville, Illinois

Norristown, Pennsylvania

Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania

Gig Harbor, Washington

Lake Forest Park, Washington

Vancouver, Washington

On Mar 16, 2015, cellistry from Portland, OR wrote:

I dug some up from a neighbor's yard last summer, and some sections had very little root 6" or less, but they have all rooted and are sprouting leaves now. They grow well in heavy clay and shade.

On May 1, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

This cultivar differs from the species in its height---4' rather than 5-10'---and in its foliage color. New leaves and stems are red, fading to chartreuse.

Extremely winter hardy. A tough but very aggressive spreading/suckering shrub with attractive white flowers in summer.

I'd be reluctant to plant this where many alternatives are available, but the species is commonly grown and considered a valuable landscape plant in northern New England and the St. Lawrence valley. It should be planted where its spreading is confined by a root barrier, paving, or mowing.

You can rejuvenate this shrub by cutting it to the ground in spring.

On Apr 30, 2014, Windy from Belleville , IL (Zone 6b) wrote:

I planted this near the foundation of my hone. I think it might be better away from structures as it suckers easily. If you like the plant it surely will put out enough little suckers to pot up and share or place somewhere else on the property. It reminds me of Sumac trees I had in Alabama. I loved them, but put them where I could control the suckering by mowing and planted them away from foundations.

On Jun 5, 2011, tatyanabeer from Wasa

I live in Southeast British Columbia, Canada, and have false spirea. While beatiful and fast-growing, newbies should be aware that it is very invasive - we have a network of roots creeping three feet out, beneath the landscaping fabric, to pop suckers up. However, the suckers seem to transplant very well!