Gas Plant, Burning Bush
Dictamnus albus

Family: Rutaceae (roo-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Dictamnus (dik-TAM-nus) (Info)
Species: albus (AL-bus) (Info)
Synonym:Dictamnus fraxinella
Synonym:Dictamnus caucasicus
Synonym:Dictamnus fraxinellus var. caucasicus

7.9 to 8.5 (alkaline)

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

From seed; stratify if sowing indoors

Venice, California

Kiowa, Colorado

Mackinaw, Illinois

Pekin, Illinois

Rockford, Illinois

Indianapolis, Indiana (2 reports)

West Lafayette, Indiana

Pullman, Washington

Vancouver, Washington

Genoa City, Wisconsin

On Aug 14, 2014, joerip from Indianapolis, IN wrote:

I am on year three of this plant and it has been very easy to maintain. Beautiful pink flowers appear in spring that then give way to interesting seed pods in the summer/fall. However, just recently (early August) I noticed new growth starting at the base of the seed pods. This new growth has leaves that do not resemble the foliage of the rest of the plant. Has anyone ever seen anything like this?

On Jun 11, 2013, donnahanson from Pullman, WA wrote:

This plant likes full sun but hates to be crowded by other plants or being transplanted. Find a good home for it before you plant it.

On Aug 9, 2012, Cauleen from Peterborough Ontario

About 4 weeks ago, on a viciously hot day, a huge flowering plant was falling over with its heavy, beautiful flower spikes. My daughter wrapped her arms around the plant, holding it while I tied it upright.... Within a couple of days, she developed what looked like random, linear burns that blistered on both her arms. After 4 weeks, the reddened welts still show some scarring.

We thought it was from the Stinging Nettle or Queen Annes Lace, both of which grew beside this plant - both are common weeds in most gardens and both are known to cause rashes or irritations on some folks. However, the burns did not look like those of either plant.

With diligent research we discovered that this stunning plant is called Gas Plant (Dictamnus albus). Although it ... read more

On May 22, 2012, immike from Easton, PA (Zone 6a) wrote:

Plant loves the sun...try lighting a match at the base of the blooms after sunset and watch the gas ignite...very cool!

On May 21, 2012, crewdog from Marcus Hook, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

This is a well behaved plant. It lasts forever. I planted one in 1995 and it has come back every year. By mid spring it is covered in light pink veined white flowers. After they have passed the foliage stays dark green and looks like an evergreen shrub. It is true that the flowers / pods do flash burn. ( my video posted here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_YsCmFw9_8 )The volatile oils smell of lemons. I strongly recommend it as an anchor in a perennial garden. Never had an issue with allergic reactions.

On Jul 16, 2011, BettyDahlstedt from Norrtlje
Sweden wrote:

We are growing this plant in Sweden, on a tiny island north of Stockholm. We have about ten plants in a row, alternating the two colors. I cut the stems after the flowers fade and use them as in house decoration all winter. I would love to make new plants from seeds but have never succeeded. Is there a trick to it?

On Sep 24, 2010, cpaacct from Dracut, MA (Zone 6a) wrote:

I planted 4 of these, all in different sections of my yard. The only one that did not make it was planted in the driest section. Of the 3 that made it, after 2 years, one bloomed beautifully. The other two are growing nicely and I am hoping that next spring they will bloom also. I just picked up a very small plant today at a 4H fair. I think I'll plant it near the first blooming one. This area is part-sun and is watered by my irrigation system 3 days a week.

On Jan 13, 2008, Cordeledawg from Cordele, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

I just purchased seeds for this plant and was reading the interesting description of this plant. It can live 100 years! I'll see how long it takes me to kill it.

On Jun 28, 2007, sadona from Indianola, IA wrote:

Here in central Ia this plant has grown well. It does take a while to get established but once it is you'll get many positive comments. I have had a reaction to the plant with red burn marks on my legs but am not absolutly positive it was from this plant. After reading what another had to say I'm thinking it is. Plant still worth it!

On Jul 18, 2006, licky from NEEPAWA

I am writing from Manitoba Canada. We have extreme weather here, anywhere from 40 below in winter to 35+ above (c). Lots of snow in winter and hot and dry weather in summer is not uncommon. I have grown this plant now for several years and it is one of my favorite spring bloomers. It is very showy and I love the smell. Unfortunately I found out the hard way about the potential danger of growing it in my garden. Over the past several weeks I have been suffering from what my doctor thought might be shingles, then an allergic reaction to a plant and then just not knowing what it was. The sores were almost healed and then I got several more. My legs are covered with sores that look like burns. What finally got me investigating was two burn-like marks - that looked like a five leaf/petal... read more

On Jan 26, 2005, pokerboy from Canberra
Australia (Zone 8b) wrote:

A most unusual plant that are low maintainance and establish slowly. Dislikes soggy soil. Likes full sun and doesn't mind a lightly shaded position. Flowers are white and appear in late Spring to early Summer. The seed capules also provide interest in late Summer and early Autumn. This plant is also known as Dittany. This is quite a hardy plant. pokerboy.

On May 27, 2004, infra2000 from Grandview, WA wrote:

A beautiful plant currently in bloom in my yard in Grandview, Washington. We took a start to my daughter in Everett, Washington and it is also currently blooming nicely. Her neighbors all want a start. So, in Washington State, the plant will grow both in the deseret climate of Eastern Washington and in the wet climate of Western Washington.

On May 15, 2004, Dizzydog from Ellsworth, KS wrote:

I love this plant!! Once established it is carefree and well mannered. It gets bigger and better every year but does not spread invasively. I have grown it in two different locations in Kansas. Soils in both places were well into the 7.0+ ph range. With shade it has held up to heat, wind, dry conditions, and -20 below cold. I would rate this plant right up with peonies. It's growth habit, size, and bloom time are very similar. Oh yes I have tried igniting it. On a dead still hot day the seed pods will briefly flare with a blue flame that is not hot enough to damage the plant. Hard to find. Well worth the effort.

On Jun 29, 2003, liverliver wrote:

This has been a delight to me. A friend told me about gas plant several years ago and I ordered it by mail. I was lucky to have one of the plants adapt to its environment and it is now about 5 or 6 years old. The blooms are nice, fragrant and it is a very neat grower in my perenial garden. This year I am going to mature some of the seeds and attempt to grow it from seed. I have the rubra and I am hoping to locate seeds for the alba variety. I have tried the "lighter by the bloom" trick and it does indeed have a little spurt of flame as a result of the gas it emits. This also is a nice cut flower and adds fragrance to the arrangement.

On Aug 14, 2001, gardendragon from Ladysmith, BC (Zone 8a) wrote:

Pruning: Flowers are self-cleaning. It is best to leave the seedheads, which form interesting star-shapes, to add interest in the garden through the summer and often into winter. Cut plants down in the spring. If any pruning is done when the plants are not dormant, care should be taken because the flowers and foilage can cause a dermatital reaction (skin irritation) in some individuals.
Long lived, tough plant that requires little care. Plant in fertile, humus rich, preferably alkaline soil that does not get soggy, in sun or light shade. Plants take some time (2-3 years) to become established. Plants are very slow growing. Usually no staking is required. Division is not recommended as success rate is low.

On Jan 4, 2001, lantana from (Zone 7a) wrote:

Grows in Heat Zones 8-1.

On Nov 4, 2000, jody from MD &, VA (Zone 7b) wrote:

This is the only species in this genus. Best cultivated in full sun and rich well drained soil. It resents being disturbed once establised. Grows to 3' tall and 2 1/2' wide. Flowers are starshaped white, or pink. Blossoms in early summer. Oil evarporates from the leaves and it is said that on warm still nights you can light a match next to it and it will have a burst of flames, quickly and not harming the plant itself. (I have never tried this!) Hardy zones 3-9