Dawn Redwood 'Little Giant'

Metasequoia glyptostroboides

Family: Cupressaceae (koo-press-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Metasequoia (met-uh-see-KWOY-uh) (Info)
Species: glyptostroboides (glip-toh-stroh-BOY-deez) (Info)
Cultivar: Little Giant

From hardwood cuttings

From hardwood heel cuttings

From seed; stratify if sowing indoors

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed

Wear gloves to protect hands when handling seeds

Santa Rosa, California

Clarence Center, New York

East Palestine, Ohio

Irwin, Pennsylvania

On Nov 1, 2013, aljoedfro from Long Beach, IN wrote:

If anyone has any information on the validity of this cultivar's mature height, please let me know. I've searched high and low for a definitive mature height but I seem to get different answers from different sources. It doesn't appear to be an accepted cultivar yet so there's no good documentation yet. If you've had experience with this plant and can say for sure that it grows as advertised (12-20ft) please let me know.

On Sep 29, 2011, woodland_prefer from Seattle, WA wrote:

I have the 'Little Giant' Metasquoia glyptostroboides purchased when 8-9 feet tall. In two years it is now at least 16' tall 5' wide, and I don't think it will stop there. It is well shaped with bright green, soft foliage, and so happy here in the Seattle area. It is in full sun; during the summer hot months, the tree is watered every other week -- very slowly with light stream of water from hose for 1-2 hours. It may not be so dwarfed and I am not sure how tall it may eventually grow.

On Nov 24, 2010, jwmurphyny from Clarence Center, NY wrote:

Beautiful soft foliage on this tree. I purchased it for a tight corner bordering on a drainage easement that floods out periodically. In it's second year it grew about a foot, a little more than the 10"/year, so hopefully it stays within the 12' range for it's height.

Only downside so far is it seems to be pretty sensitive to late spring frosts, which seems to be typical for metasequoia. Though it eventually recovers in June, this can lead to a slow start to the season and a bare tree.