PlantFiles: Deciduous Azalea
Rhododendron 'Admiral Semmes'

Family: Ericaceae (er-ek-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rhododendron (roh-do-DEN-dron) (Info)
Cultivar: Admiral Semmes

» View all varieties of Azaleas and Rhododendrons

One member has or wants this plant for trade.

Gold (Yellow-Orange)

Patented

By Zonebuster35
Thumbnail #1 of Rhododendron  by Zonebuster35

By Zonebuster35
Thumbnail #2 of Rhododendron  by Zonebuster35

Negative Fires_in_motion On Sep 10, 2014, Fires_in_motion from Vacherie, LA (Zone 9a) wrote:

I was given one in late 2011 by the Crosby Arboretum in Mississippi. (I've never seen them anywhere else.) Despite its constant fungal leaf problems, I always persisted in keeping it. I live in SE Louisiana, which is the perfect habitat for this plant, and I kept mine in dappled shade (of a live oak), as they like / require. Despite spraying it with copper octanoate several times a year, the leaf spotting just kept coming back and ravaging the plant. If you've ever tried to keep a fig tree around here, you'll know what I'm talking about when I say the leaves looked just plain BAD, meaning yellow, orange & brown amidst the green. Some nursery people to whom I've spoken agreed with me that this is just not a very good variety. Yesterday I decided to throw the plant away rather than put it in the ground and risk it infecting my other plants. (By the way, it barely grew in 3 years.) Having to spray a native plant for fungal problems is simply a deal-breaker for me. I want my plants, especially my native plants, to be bulletproof in our severe humidity / rainfall. It did send up a vigorous vertical water shoot this year, but I think that was from the rootstock, not the Admiral Semmes upper stock. It's very rare for me to give a negative rating (or even a neutral rating) on DG, but I feel this plant merits it.

Positive akt On Nov 22, 2013, akt from Springfield, VA wrote:

The Admiral Semmes deciduous azalea is a cross between the Florida Pinkxster Azalea R. austrinum and an Exbury hybrid named Hotspur Yellow. It is fragrant with nice almost yellow trusses.

Mobile, Alabama