Burning Bush, Cork Bush, Winged Euonymus
Euonymus alatus

Family: Celastraceae
Genus: Euonymus (yoo-ON-ih-mus) (Info)
Species: alatus (a-LAY-tus) (Info)
Synonym:Celastrus alatus
Synonym:Euonymus alata

Inconspicuous/none

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

From seed; stratify if sowing indoors

Mobile, Alabama

Bellingham, Washington

Grand Mound, Washington

Stanwood, Washington

On Dec 1, 2014, Rickwebb from Downingtown, PA wrote:

This species is way over-planted in landscapes and is often just thrown around everywhere for fall color. It gets rather large and so dense with a super dense, shallow fibrous root system, and when it gets too big for a space, it is usually sheared into a green lump. It usually does send out some ground suckers in time. It has escaped cultivation and helps ruin the native woods.

On Aug 6, 2014, cazort from Jenkintown, PA wrote:

These are widely planted in my region, southeastern PA. I find them quite invasive. They have beautiful fall color, but they are not good for the ecology...they invade forested areas, and not much eats them.

Their growth is relatively slow, but they are able to spread under a closed canopy. I have spent quite a lot of time cutting them down and taking them out from a forested slope behind my home.

I would not recommend planting them, under any circumstances, in North America because of their invasiveness.

On Feb 24, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

Import, trade, sale, purchase, and planting this species is illegal in my state and one other. This plant invades and impoverishes natural areas in eastern and midwestern North America. I often encounter this in wild areas, with seedlings sometimes carpeting the ground in woodlands.

Birds eat the fruit and may deposit the seeds many miles away. Your plant doesn't need to be near a wild area to spread its offspring there.

On May 8, 2012, plant_it from Valparaiso, IN wrote:

Non-native and invasive. Not good for landscape planting in my opinion b/c it gets terribly overgrown. Not good to plant if you live near woodlands. I'd choose a native plant like black chokecherry (if u live in the East or Midwest) which also get beautiful red leaves in fall.

On Apr 10, 2012, greenthumb99 from Lucketts, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

My wife planted some next to her house before we met. Now we end up pulling young ones on our daily walks around the property. They sprout up throughout our woods where you might think the leaf cover would prevent introduction. Planting this species is a great disservice to everyone around you. Intentional or not, you are deciding that they will have it too. Would you thank your neighbor for planting kudzu?

On May 22, 2011, karate626 from Laurel, MD wrote:

A very attractive bush but too invasive. Please don't spread invasive plants. Spreads by seeds where I live.

On Oct 25, 2009, secygbo from Watertown, MA wrote:

Please do not plant burning bush anywhere. The seeds are carried by birds who eat them and it is spreading into the Massachusetts woodland and in many other states. A friend who moved to a new home has two big bushes and many small seedlings or small bushes in her undergrowth. It is very invasive even if you don't notice it in your yard.

On Jul 23, 2009, Thescann from Eastlake, OH wrote:

I always recommend Itea virginica as a native replacement for invasive burning bush. It has a similar look and fall color display with the added benefit of a flower display. 'Compactus ' is not necesarily a dwarf form and will still get huge if not maintained.

On Jul 23, 2009, redcamaro350ss from Statesville, NC wrote:

This is an invasive species in parts of the east coast. Avoid this plant at all costs, as it is not reliable in the south east, nor is it that nice of a plant. It spreads via seeds and although you may not notice it being invasive, seeds from the parent plant can be dispersed miles away by birds. It is grown for its brilliant red fall color, but it is rarely seen. A great alternative for this plant is Aronia arbutifolia. Check it out before buying a burning bush.

On Oct 20, 2008, creekwalker from Benton County, MO (Zone 5a) wrote:

I am a little wary of this bush because I live in the woods and don't want to spread an invasive bush around. We have lived here going on 4 years and have never seen any signs of it being invasive, however, I just noticed the fruit this year. It could have been there last year and I didn't notice it. The birds are reported to love these fruits and that is how it is spread. I imagine if we pick the fruits off before the birds eat them, that would help control it? The leaves are just starting to turn and are beautiful.

On Sep 21, 2007, carrielamont from Milton, MA (Zone 6a) wrote:

I WISH the people who built my house 50 years ago had used DWARF instead of huge. These boys are BIG!!! They are planted between the paved driveway and the house, NO place for seedlings to sprout, and I've never seen one. But we are constantly needing to cut it back, hack it off, butcher it to make way for parked cars, people entering the house, etc. I guess the color is lovely for a short while - it's just starting to turn in September. DO NOT use this for a foundation planting - it may look nice in three years, but in thirteen years it will have taken over the house. We're, sadly, not the types to prune reasonable amounts once a year; we prune drastically every 2 - 3 years, and with this shrub, we're losing.

On Jul 13, 2007, claypa from West Pottsgrove, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

Declared an invasive species by the Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources. And other states.

I dug mine up, and all the little seedlings in my yard, the neighbor's yard, and the woods next to them.

On Apr 26, 2007, DawgDrvr from Rochester, WA (Zone 7b) wrote:

S. W, WA- ZONE 7-B . I have 2 burning bushes planted south westerly on my property. they are on either side of a "Blue Girl" Holly. in fall and winter they show off and compliment the dark green leaves and berries of the Holly

On Dec 30, 2004, rh3708 from Westmoreland, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

I love this Bush, I have 2 of them in my side Garden they are wonderful.
Nice color of green in the warm parts of the year and when it gets cooler they turn a flame red and are Beautiful.

On Nov 30, 2004, melody from Benton, KY (Zone 7a) wrote:

Beautiful Fall color here that lasts well into December. I like these bushes trained to a single trunk and as a stand alone plant. They make a dramatic statement every Autumn.

The berries are eaten by songbirds and the branches are used for cover and nests.

I've seen a few in the wild, but they don't seem invasive in this area. Care should be taken to pull seedlings out of your beds though..

On Aug 18, 2003, granola50 wrote:

I have had great success with my Burning Bush,mine is the Dwarf version. I have had it for 4 years now, planted from Gallon size pot.(now 2 1/2ft.) I have never found it evasive. The only problem I've ever had was Aphids(one year only). Last Fall was the best year for it's red colour, Lots of sunshine. Entered in 2 pictures
I live in Kimberley, BC Zone3 and they survive the cold winters just fine.

On Aug 18, 2003, fjoef1 wrote:

This shrub has grown to over 10 feet in height and spans 40 yards long (it's at least 30 years old). I am concerned this summer as I have noticed that certain parts have lost foliage. They have dried up and fallen off. I do not know if this is related to insects or disease. I have treated with Liquid Sevin. I live in New Jersey.

On Jun 20, 2003, haleygem from Saugus, MA wrote:

I live in the NE zone 6 and find this plant to be very easily controlled with simple pruning. It does need more sun to turn the red color it is known for, but even in green it is lovely.

On Jan 16, 2003, lupinelover from Grove City, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

This shrub has been identified as an invasive alien in the eastern part of the US. It is prized in the landscape for its brilliant autumn foliage and fruit, but local weather conditions often prevent a good color from forming or persisting.