PlantFiles: Golden Trumpet, Yellow Allamanda
Allamanda cathartica

Family: Apocynaceae (a-pos-ih-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Allamanda (al-uh-MAN-duh) (Info)
Species: cathartica (kat-AR-tik-uh) (Info)

Aromatic

5.1 to 5.5 (strongly acidic)

From hardwood cuttings

By Floridian
Thumbnail #7 of Allamanda cathartica by Floridian

Negative Dan_Matei On Oct 11, 2013, Dan_Matei from Bucharest
Romania wrote:

I do not understand why I cannot make survive an Allamanda cathartica in Romania (outside between April to end October, Inside in a closed balcony with light when never above 0C -and Allamanda should stand to abt. -7C-).
Is the only Apocynaceae specie that was impossible for me to keep it. OK, accidic soil, but should be extremely accidic?
Most of Apocynaceae are perfect in a cactus special soil,some even have no preferences for the type of soil.
Can Beaumontia ,Cryptostegia,Sprophantus,Stemmadenia be harder than Allamanda.I do not think so.Most of Apocynaceae plant species are killed if below 0C. Sure are some exceptions as with Allamanda, but where is the explanation for me?

Positive rstipe1229 On Feb 6, 2013, rstipe1229 from Orlando, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

We planted this beautiful yellow vine in the ground 5 years ago and helped it climb about 20 feet to the overhead pergolia where it has grown & spread to give us a nicely shaded area over our patio. Trimming new growth rather frequently has helped to keep it out of the roof & rain gutters. With the exception of January this year, it has bloomed constantly This is the first year we have had a few round, "spikey" seedpods which I will harvest when they look dried on the vine, then try to germinate a few.

Neutral Al1945 On Feb 3, 2013, Al1945 from Palm Bay, FL wrote:

I have a question to those who know the Yellow Allamanda: are there two types of this plant, i.e., a bush and a climber? If so, would you know where I can find a climber? My wife says that she had a climber in her house in Porto Alegre, Brasil that grew climbing a fence; it was not a bush...

Positive klutzo On Jun 12, 2011, klutzo from Clearwater, FL wrote:

I have had several Allamandas for over 30 years. They are all in full sun, up against a north side fence. I love the flowers, but wish they could be cut for bouquets. If you cut them, they die within a minute or two.
The thing that surprises me about the comments here are about how it needs to be moist and kept watered. We have never once watered our Allamandas, not even during the spring dry season, when it can commonly go 3 weeks between rains, combined with constant sun and 90 degree heat, yet they get to 8 or 9 feet tall each year and are very healthy and green with prolific flowers.

Neutral mousamlady On Dec 21, 2010, mousamlady from Hernando, FL wrote:

I love the flowers of this plant, but before I could get it planted in its permanent location, it turned cold (30's at night). I moved the pot indoors, kept it watered, and set a bowl of water beside the plant to offset the dry indoor heat. However, its leaves are turning yellow and dropping off at an alarming rate. What can I do to keep it alive until the weather warms up and I can move it outdoors safely?

Positive 35811 On Sep 3, 2009, 35811 from Huntsville, AL wrote:

I'd had this vine growing in Jupiter, South Florida for several years and when we relocated to Huntsville, Alabama I decided to take a plant with me...just for kicks 'cause I'm funny like that...
Planted it under a Crepe Myrtle next to the house on the North side, mulched obscenely and watered...left it there.

That was the Spring of 2008.

It didn't do much...and disappeared when Autumn started dropping temperatures below freezing on a regular basis.

After a harsh, wet winter, wicked windchills and lowest readings of NINE degrees, I did not expect to see it again.

Spring 2009. N.O.T.H.I.N.G.
OK, she's dead.

Summer 2009. No, she's not dead! Hello...what's? Yepper. There she is!
The plant is small but healthy as all...no flowers. But alive, rich green leaves...no complaints. I may see if I can divide her and plant a section in another, sunnier but protected micro-climate. But I think I'll wait until next year to give this plant more time to acclimate.

Allamanda grows in zone 7B.

Positive khabbab On Jul 13, 2009, khabbab from lahore
Pakistan (Zone 10b) wrote:

In lahore Pakistan, we have 3 or 4 colors/varieties of Allamanda but this one is hardiest and famous of all. It blooms nonstop from April till November. And i have it in clay pot of only 12 inches. This is one of those vines which need not to be matured to start blooming. Only 6 inches high and it starts blooming. Blooms are not fragrant though. It needs well drained soil and lots of fertilizer in growing season. In winter it needs a bit of protection but man our winters are mild so it survives easily.

Positive flowerpower57 On Jun 19, 2008, flowerpower57 wrote:

I cut mine Allmanda to the ground right tbe for winter set in . The temp fell to 20 but when summer arrived the plant shot up like wild fire as if nothing had ever happen .

Positive distantkin On Mar 18, 2008, distantkin from Saint Cloud, MN (Zone 4b) wrote:

Seed germination went well for me...because of its strange texture and the age of the seed-(3 years), I decided to throw them in peroxide to soak. I did this 2 days, then I peeled the corky shell off and planted them in potting soil. 2 out of 4 seeds germinated within 3 weeks.
Now I have to ask myself-what will I do with these in my zone 4. I was just checking germination before I gave them away.

Positive Martha_Johnson On Aug 12, 2007, Martha_Johnson from Lampasas, TX wrote:

I fell in love with this plant when I was strolling through a nursery and brought it home--not knowing a thing about it. Although a climber, I'm going to try to grow it on my back deck in a pot and house it, during the winter, in a green house. I have taken it out of the ugly black planter it came with and planted in a beautiful basket weave pot: looks beautiful; however, a lot of the leaves are turning yellow. Hopefully, the yellowing leaves will stop after the plant has adjusted to its new home. If someone has a cure for yellow leaves, please advise.

Positive eurokitty On Jun 18, 2006, eurokitty from Seattle, WA (Zone 9b) wrote:

I have two of these in my yard here in SW Florida. One is a very large mature plant growing against a trellis against the front of my house. The other is against a fence in my backyard. I've had that one for a few months, so it's still rather young, but was about three feet when I purchased it at a Lowe's here in Bradenton.

I don't know about other climates, but it has absolutely thrives here, but its growth and flowering rate seem heavily dependent on its sun exposure. The one in the front gets full sun most of the day; it's become very large, and spilling over its initial trellis with vast quantities of flowers. The other allamanda in the back in partial shade most of the day. It seems to be growing much more slowly, and has few flowers.

I haven't done much with this one but fertilize this spring. It does like water. I find that the one in full sun begins to wilt when it doesn't rain and I miss watering for a couple of days. I may move the smaller one into a more sunny location and see how it fares. They are beautiful and aside from needing regular watering, require little care here in southwest Florida.

Positive CostaRica On Aug 12, 2004, CostaRica from Guayabo de Bagaces, Guanacaste
Costa Rica (Zone 10b) wrote:

Here in the Central Valley of Costa Rica, this wonderful vine blooms continuously throughout the year. It takes a long time for a hardwood cutting to grow roots, and to produce the flowers, but the wait is worthwhile. Then again, we just cut a branch off and place it in any available space! Doesn't seem to affected by any insects....and we have lots!

Positive foodiesleuth On Jun 23, 2004, foodiesleuth from Honomu, HI (Zone 11) wrote:

I have also seen miniature versions of this flower growing in Hilo

Positive broozersnooze On Jun 22, 2004, broozersnooze from Jacksonville, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

I immediately fell in love with the 1st one I ever saw (2002), bought it and, being end of season, left it in the nursery pot it came in. It was covered during the 19 degree freezes that winter. Come spring, trimmed the dead branches down to the ground, frequently checked for signs of life but found none.

In June the soil was emptied from the pot & the remnant below the soil line was tossed out in the potting area of my yard. 2 weeks later I noticed some green showing on the remnant I'd tossed out so I replanted it.

Today it has it's own place - growing on my back yard arbor. I made a vow to myself & my little plants to never toss any of them out until AFTER June.

Neutral Monocromatico On Jan 21, 2004, Monocromatico from Rio de Janeiro
Brazil (Zone 11) wrote:

This is one of the all times favorite shrubs. Its one of the most commonly cultivated in Brazil, and still the most popular Allamanda. In the tropics, it blooms with full strenght on spring and summer, but it never really stops blooming - in mid winter you still can see yellow flowers here a there.

The white sap is poisonous. It doesnt prevent attacks from aphids and catterpillars (I see enormous and colorful catterpillars - they are gorgeous - on those plants, and they eat everything - the moth, in other hand, us quite ugly), but is certainly dangerous for kids and animals.

Positive Calalily On Feb 24, 2003, Calalily from Deep South Coastal, TX (Zone 10a) wrote:

This plant will bloom all summer if given enough light and warmth. It needs a cool, dry rest period in the winter. Don't overwater while it's resting, or you may cause the roots to rot.

Neutral smiln32 On Aug 31, 2001, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

Fast-growing evergreen woody stemmed climber with rich, bright yellow trumpet shaped flowers in spring, summer and early autumn. Good to grow up a trellis or allow to cascade over a low wall. Will benefit from regular feeding in the growing season. Whitefly and red spider mites may be a problem. Prune previous season's growth back to 1 or 2 nodes in spring. The stems must be staked and plant must be watered regularly if exposed to a full sun environment.

Moores Mill, Alabama
Rainbow City, Alabama
Brea, California
Big Pine Key, Florida
Boca Raton, Florida
Bokeelia, Florida
Clearwater, Florida (2 reports)
Eustis, Florida
Fort Myers, Florida (2 reports)
Gainesville, Florida
Holmes Beach, Florida
Inverness, Florida
Lake Worth, Florida
Lakewood Park, Florida
Land O' Lakes, Florida
Orlando, Florida (2 reports)
Panama City, Florida
Broaddus, Texas
Corpus Christi, Texas
Georgetown, Texas
High Island, Texas
San Antonio, Texas (2 reports)