PlantFiles: Wintercreeper Euonymus
Euonymus fortunei

Family: Celastraceae
Genus: Euonymus (yoo-ON-ih-mus) (Info)
Species: fortunei (for-TOO-nee-eye) (Info)

Synonym:Euonymus fortunei var. radicans
Synonym:Euonymus radicans
Synonym:Euonymus japonicus var. acutus
Synonym:Euonymus japonicus var. chinensis
Synonym:Euonymus japonicus var. radicans

Groundcovers

Variegated

5.1 to 5.5 (strongly acidic)

By riversandbar

Thumbnail #6 of Euonymus fortunei by eatmyplants

By mygardens
Thumbnail #7 of Euonymus fortunei by mygardens

Negative coriaceous On Mar 16, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

I gave up planting this species before I realized its invasive potential, because I see so many plantings infested and disfigured or even killed by euonymus scale.

Once established, this species can be very difficult to get rid of.

It is naturalized in most of the eastern and central states. The US Forest Service, the National Park Service, the Nature Conservancy, and other organizations concerned with the preservation of natural areas in North America all have expressed concern about the invasive impact of this species on our environment.

It appears to be most destructive in Kentucky, Tennessee, Missouri, and neighboring states.

In Massachusetts, I often find seedlings when weeding. Birds distribute the seeds widely. Cutting back climbing stems will temporarily eliminate most seeding.

Positive mygardens On Aug 29, 2012, mygardens from Croton-on-Hudson, NY (Zone 6b) wrote:

This plant has been growing on our locust for about 20 years. I know it is invasive in some areas, but it is about 40 feet up the tree trunk and has not spread to other trees. I'm sure some birds may have carried seeds off, but I have not seen much of this in our area. I love the leaf against the texture of the locust trunk. I'm afraid I'll have to give it a positive as far as our experience goes.

Negative dsigngrrl On Mar 29, 2011, dsigngrrl from Springfield, MO wrote:

Absolutely horrible. It's climbing trees, covering bushes, nasty nasty business. I can't get rid of it, it's all over. Bad news, this guy.

Negative RosemaryK On Feb 25, 2011, RosemaryK from Lexington, MA (Zone 6a) wrote:

This plant was introduced to the US in 1907 as an ornamental groundcover. Although it does grow in heavy shade, it is almost impossible to remove and replace it.

Negative Silverdare On Aug 16, 2010, Silverdare from Cincinnati, OH wrote:

Do NOT plant this invasive vine. My neighborhood in eastern Cincinnati is OVERRUN with it. When I bought this house, the yard (mostly shade) was completely taken over by wintercreeper, which marches over and through fences and scaled up shrubs and tall trees. Thick (3"-4" diameter) ropes of it girdled tree trunks. It was a nightmare to eradicate - took me two summers of backbreaking labor. Because my neighbors are careless and/or lazy, they allow this invader to take over everything in their yards, and the berries fall into my yard, which means I have to be ever-vigilant to pull up any seedlings. Woods and forests are being choked to death with it. Local nurseries actually sell the stuff. I think it should be banned from sale. It's the kudzu of the southern Midwest.

Negative kman_blue On Apr 2, 2009, kman_blue from (Zone 6b) wrote:

A horrible invasive weed here in Eastern Kansas and much of the rest of the Eastern USA. It's completely smothering some woodlands here and will climb up, over, and kill just about anything with time. It's very difficult to get rid of too, because small root fragments left after pulling will push up more foliage and it's very resistant to some common herbicides.

Positive Gabrielle On Jan 25, 2006, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

My Wintercreeper never grew as a shrub, but more of a groundcover (and boy, did it do that). It also does well in less than full sun.

Negative flowercrazy39 On Sep 30, 2005, flowercrazy39 from Manchester, NH wrote:

I ended up getting rid of both of mine because the scales were just too much and were spreading to other plants. Since I've gotten rid of them, there's no sign of scales.

Positive smiln32 On Aug 6, 2002, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

Easy to grow and prefers filtered sun. Tolerates deep shade. Can be used as a groundcover, and in some places, a lawn alternative.

Neutral jody On Aug 31, 2001, jody from MD &, VA (Zone 7b) wrote:

2-4' high as shrub. 8-15' as climber. Has numerous variegated forms, usually as bushy shrubs.

Clifton, Colorado