Fatsia, Paperplant, Japanese Aralia
Fatsia japonica

Family: Araliaceae
Genus: Fatsia (FAT-see-uh) (Info)
Species: japonica (juh-PON-ih-kuh) (Info)
Synonym:Aralia japonica

Cream/Tan

Remove fleshy coating on seeds before storing

Lincoln,

Quimper,

Anniston, Alabama

Mobile, Alabama (2 reports)

New Market, Alabama

Fullerton, California

Long Beach, California

Martinez, California

Salinas, California

San Francisco, California (2 reports)

San Jose, California (2 reports)

Thousand Oaks, California

Tallahassee, Florida

Wellborn, Florida

Conyers, Georgia

Dallas, Georgia

Gainesville, Georgia (2 reports)

Greensboro, Georgia

Matthews, North Carolina

Winston Salem, North Carolina

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

Coos Bay, Oregon

Portland, Oregon (2 reports)

Salem, Oregon

Bluffton, South Carolina

Charleston, South Carolina (2 reports)

Columbia, South Carolina

Fort Mill, South Carolina

Greenville, South Carolina

Hilton Head Island, South Carolina

Ladys Island, South Carolina

Lexington, South Carolina

Pelion, South Carolina

Saint Helena Island, South Carolina

Summerville, South Carolina (2 reports)

Sumter, South Carolina

Knoxville, Tennessee

Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Austin, Texas (2 reports)

Bedford, Texas

Brownwood, Texas

Dallas, Texas (2 reports)

De Leon, Texas

Virginia Beach, Virginia

Anacortes, Washington

Grapeview, Washington

Kent, Washington

Olympia, Washington (2 reports)

Quilcene, Washington

Sumner, Washington

Vancouver, Washington

Vashon, Washington

On Mar 14, 2015, UrbanGreenThumb from Detroit, MI wrote:

This plant survived our cold February underneath about a foot of dry maple leaves, a burlap "blanket", and a 4 1/2 foot snow drift that didn't melt until mid-March. We had a fairly decent winter this year in Detroit, February notwithstanding. Multiple "zone 6a" nights occurred with many days struggling to reach the 20s.

On May 18, 2014, jv123 from Vancouver, WA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Very hard to kill in Vancouver! If it gets winterkilled (very uncommon) it'll re-sprout from woody growth in the spring. If it dries out for too long (unlikely, we get rain all year long) it perks back up with water very nicely. Large evergreen shiny leaves make this one a winner. It sometimes is so common in front yards that it becomes boring like rhododendrons, but once you get up close to it the appeal comes back.

On Jun 7, 2013, JudyLe from GRAPEVIEW, WA wrote:

I have had my fatsia japonica for at least 30 years. For the first 10 years it was a beautiful houseplant. Then I moved it outside and it flourished---- mostly shade but some sun each day. Then it was moved to a new property (in the shade mostly). It did really well until a winter with a bad freeze took most of its leaves. I trimmed off the dead ones and it perked right up the following spring. A couple of years later, trees on the neighbors property were removed, putting it in full sun. This caused the leaves to yellow, so I moved it again. It is now in mostly shade, with very little sun for a couple hours a day. It is beautiful. The plant has stayed about 5 feet tall through all this. I love it.

On May 13, 2012, itom37 from Charleston, SC wrote:

Excellent in Charleston SC. Needs protection from the afternoon summer sun, and ultimately loves shade. Highly recommended.

On Oct 16, 2010, MinxFox from Pensacola, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

Even though I am in zone 8, it is still hard to find tropical plants that will survive being planted outdoors. Not only that, but I have been working on making my peacock pen tropical looking, so I need plants that aren't too tender so the birds can't peck them to pieces like they did to a banana plant. I first planted three of these in the fall. One was fairly big, the other two were small. The small ones haven't done much and now I am wishing I would have just bought two more big ones instead of two small ones. Anyways the big one quickly branched out and to my delight it is peacock proof! The birds don't eat it at all, but the leaves are so nice and big that it provides great shade for the peacocks so I sometimes find them resting underneath the plant. It really has a great tropical loo... read more

On Jul 16, 2010, RonDEZone7a from Wilmington, DE (Zone 7a) wrote:

I live in Wilmingon, Delaware (Zone 7a) and I want to report that Fatsia japonica has done very well for me. I have mine planted in a part-shade location (where they get a few hours of sun in summer and almost none in winter). They are doing fine in that location. Last winter, we had record snowfalls in my area - all my garden was buried in 3 feet of snow for several weeks. My 2 Fatsia japonicas were planted outside, near my house but otherwise completely unprotected and they did fine. They looked like "cooked spinach" while it was below freezing but they popped up again like nothing ever happened, after the snow melted and it warmed up. Now they are growing fast in the summer heat.

Alot of the plant books say they are only hardy to Zone 8 but mine have done fine in th... read more

On May 30, 2010, Alechan from Vancouver

Hey everyone, I'm in Vancouver, Canada. I've had an aralia for a year now and it's doing well, but now seeing pictures of others I realize the leaves on mine are much lighter green than any others I have seen. Should I worry about this or is it no big deal. Good plant though, low maintenance, and survives through wind and hard rains.

On May 12, 2010, wendymadre from Petersburg, VA wrote:

I've had a Fatsia japonica in my Zone 7a yard in Petersburg, Virginia, for about three or four years. It is growing in the ground and has made it through our winters that have gone down as low as 11 degrees Fahrenheit. Its leaves discolor sometimes, so I cut them off. It is only about 3-1/2 feet tall, but it seems a bit more vigorous each year, so it may gradually get bigger. I'm thinking of moving it back by the screen porch, where I want a more tropical look. It will still get some full sun, but more hours of shade each day. Wonder if that will affect it in the winter.

On Apr 21, 2010, agavebob from dade city, OH wrote:

I bought this plant as a house plant but had a little trouble keeping it watered enough that it didn't droop all the time. However in the summer I planted it in the ground and it was extremely happy and grew well. Because I am in "Zonial Denial" I decided to keep it outdoors thru the winter and was extremely surprised had it wasn't even slightly phased by a low of -4 degrees F and at one time being totally covered with ice. This year I plan on trying the variegated and Spider web Varieties.

On Mar 15, 2010, Jackie5_0 from Summerville, SC wrote:

I bought a house about a year ago that had one of these growing in full shade. I love the huge tropical leaves and wanted more. No one could tell me what it was. Finally today I found them in Lowes. I bought 2 today and Im going back to buy more! They are perfect to add to the tropical look Im going for that is a bit harder to get in zone 8.
My house had been abandoned for about 5 years prior to me buying it. It has done rather well and is about 6' tall. It does have like a black film (mold?) on the leafs, Im going to take a leaf to the garden center to see what to do. I do not want to plant the new ones till I get this taken care of. It is a bit thin in comparison to others posted here. Now that I know what it is and what to do with it Im going to try cutting it back. I had been h... read more

On Dec 28, 2009, bevoreno from Reno, NV wrote:

I live in Reno, NV and bought 4 of these from WalMart last year. They were sold indoors so I figured 'good luck' on having them winter over. The leaves were green and waxy down to about 10 degrees. Spring came and sure enough they sprouted again.

Fast-forward to THIS winter. Ugghh! 'Global Warming' hit and we went 8 below zero. Haven't had any warm spells yet, I hope my Aralias make it. They are planted next to the house, I believe this gives them a little extra protection, I'll let everyone know how things shake out this spring. It is notable that the leaves appear brown and limp more than last winter... keep 'em crossed!!

On Dec 11, 2009, KiwiCatherine from Christchurch
New Zealand (Zone 9b) wrote:

I'm in Christchurch city New Zealand (USDA was zone 9a 25 years ago but for the last 10 years seems to now be 9b)

There was one multi-stemmed shrub about 2.4 metres / 8foot tall at my neighbours on one side, she cut it down to a stump and it has regenerated well into a bunch of foliage at ground level (which is the look she wanted in that part of her garden).

My neighbour's on the other side, had a smaller Fatsia shrub. I actually pruned it very hard back about 2005 one time when the place was un-tennanted and un-occupied. (as the common lattice-fence is to my North, it blocks my sun, I'm in the southern hemisphere remember) Yeah so in about 2005 it was a dense bush some maybe 5 feet 1.6 m tall. I pruned it back severely to just a skeleton of a few short st... read more

On Nov 15, 2009, stephenp from Wirral, UK, Zone 9a
United Kingdom (Zone 9a) wrote:

A great starter plant for an exotic looking garden, especially in area that can't grow subtropical/tropical plants.. because of their hardiness it goes well with species of bamboo, and in particular palms like Trachycarpus fortunei and and hardy banana, Musa basjoo.

Although this plant is hardy without a shadow of a doubt give its exotic look, it is only sure hardy in zone 8 and above, and based on other peoples accounts damage can occur below -10C (although it can survive if sited in a sheltered area).

Fatsia japonica has started to naturalise in my part of the country country (and undoubtedly other milder areas), as Japanese plants have a tendency to do well in the UK, there is a fairly old naturalised plant about 15 feet in height in our town and I have ... read more

On Apr 13, 2009, purplesun from Krapets
Bulgaria (Zone 8a) wrote:

I was first reluctant to plant this one here, fearing that it would inevitably die. I couldn't have been more wrong.
Here in Krapets, snow only stays on the ground for no more than ten days a year on average, and it happens quite often that it is absent right when it is coldest. That has caused death to a Californian Fan Palm most recently, and total defoliation to an Olive tree and a Bottlebrush previously, and even severe dieback in a Crepe myrtle and an Escallonia. Nothing of that sort to Paperplant. It has been buffeted by cold northerlies for at least three years since it was planted, and hasn't suffered a bit. Also, it is in a quite moist situation, and has grown, flowered, fruited, and managed to become a small, handsome branched shrub. Certainly hardier than given credit.

On Sep 25, 2007, leeboi76 from Sydney
Australia wrote:

F. Japonica was planted in shade last year as a 18 inch plant and wintered very well here in Sydney. I did note that growth was steady through the winter but cold temps resulted in new leaves having less lobing and "fingers"than those sprouted during warmer weather. One week the temps never exceeded 50 during the day and new leaves had only 3 lobes. Just a month into Spring and F Japonica is now nearly 4 feet tall with 3 stems. I think I will look for more places in at least part shade where I can use this plant as the deep green. evergreen foliage can fill in any empty spot nicely. Only good things to say!

On Mar 9, 2007, patp from Summerville, SC (Zone 8a) wrote:

Great plant, interesting leaves and unusual flowers which produce relatively large seeds that Mockingbirds love to eat.

On Jan 1, 2007, 1cros3nails4gvn from Bluffton, SC (Zone 9a) wrote:

this plant is very common in the greater columbia area such as lexington, SC as well as the lowcountry. it adds a great tropical look, and when it gets mature, it starts to look somewhat like a papaya tree, if it is kept solitary and does not branch. one great example is included in the pictures if anyone is curious about my description.

On May 2, 2006, Suze_ from (Zone 7b) wrote:

Easy to grow here as long as it is sited properly -- this plant really does not like direct southern sun and prefers to be well mulched. Part shade.

Looking to break away from the boring old boxy hedges??

This plant can be used as a shrub alternative in the south, as it is dependably evergreen (in warmer climates).

On Feb 25, 2006, tiffanya from Sumner, WA (Zone 8a) wrote:

My childhood backyard memories include a 4' Fatsia japonica, which I used to crawl around underneath.

I have now added one to my backyard and it's doing great. It is planted fenceline for protection and gives a nice contrast to a nearby Japanese maple. The glossy leaves range in color from light to dark, and the flowers are interesting.

On Jul 28, 2005, MississippiSkie from Collins (90 min. drive to Gulf Coast), MS (Zone 8b) wrote:

Mine 4 year old Fatsia just got a fungus & the nursery lady said there's nothing I can do. Some spore got in the soil. I'm devastated. It was gorgeous last week! Now the leaves have closed like an umbrella.

She even said not to plant another in its place for a while because the ground is contaminated.

On May 8, 2005, nick89 from Tallahassee, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

Impressive, tropical-looking large shrub with big leaves. Japanese aralia is tall and tree like in habit and grows quite fast. Tender young growth can be killed by frost but the plant usually hardens off its growth by the time winter comes. Leaves can be burnt in full sun so be sure to plant it in shade.

On May 3, 2005, ladyannne from Merced, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

My first reaction to this plant was, "Ugh" but after living with it in a tropical area, I give it a thumbs up. Very low maintenance, just hack off the top every so often and wash down the leaves.

On Jan 27, 2005, Mogheller from Berlin
Germany wrote:

with Fatsia u can get a tropical feeling in a garden!

my plant has survived down to -12C more than one winter with absolut NO damage...a good friend planted one and the plant had been changed into mud by only -3C...so i think there are differen versions in "fatsia japonica".

my plant grows 40 cm each year and cause of the house nearby i must cut down it, to save place.
more or less a shaddow-place and each christmastime the beutiful flowers are to see.

On Nov 1, 2004, FullertonCA from Lake Arrowhead, CA wrote:

Perfect contrast to smaller leaves of a boxwood or privet hedge. In my experience, it will tolerate some full sun (even in Southern California) if given sufficient water. When it gets too tall, I cut back hard. The plants bounce back with lush new growth. Giant whitefly can be a problem. But, I simply cut off leaves that are infested. The globular blooms have an unpleasant odor. I usually cut them off before bloom.

On Nov 7, 2003, weeding from Peachtree City, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

This is a nice plant to grow. I have my Japanese Aralia planted in full shade and it looks great. It adds a tropical look to the garden.