PlantFiles: Weeping Chinese Fringe Flower, Chinese Witch Hazel
Loropetalum chinense 'Shang-lo'

Family: Hamamelidaceae
Genus: Loropetalum (lor-oh-PET-al-um) (Info)
Species: chinense (chi-NEN-see) (Info)
Cultivar: Shang-lo

Thumbnail #1 of Loropetalum chinense by plantfreak78

By plantfreak78
Thumbnail #2 of Loropetalum chinense by plantfreak78

Negative gram_pat On Apr 3, 2013, gram_pat from Benton, LA wrote:

I've spent more than $300 on these shrubs and they're all dead. I've planted them in sun, in shade, in part sun, in the flower bed, in containers, in moist soil, in dry soil, etc. I really wanted this plant. My Purple Diamond lorapetalums look great, but Purple Pixie will not stay alive, no matter what conditions I plant it in.

Positive plantfreak78 On Aug 30, 2010, plantfreak78 from Rolesville, NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

aka Purple Pixie

In fall of 2008 our nursery carried these for the first time. They were barely rooted because the growers hadn't quite figured out how to grow them yet. Many of those plants were returned because our customers watered them to death. I took home one of the ones that was returned to us because the customer said it was dead. It was actually just severely winter-burnt. Almost two years later that "dead" plant is one of my favorites (see picture).

One side note: the first year in the ground (especially if it's planted in fall) this cultivar may defoliate while going through its first winter.

11/4/12
Two years later and this plant is still awesome. Mine now measures about 30" wide and only 18" tall. It is the perfect little ottoman-shaped plant when grown in full sun. The plant at the JCRA (which is being grown in a shadier location) is more flattened and stringy looking but still quite lovely.

Neutral LeslieT On Apr 7, 2010, LeslieT from Bellaire, TX wrote:

I lost the single example of this plant I bought via mail order. It was gorgeous, planted in my best sun with good drainage. In researching further, I found somewhere that it preferred an acid soil which may have been the problem. I've bought another specimen and will try again. Here's hoping!
Leslie