Tomato 'Hege German Pink'

Lycopersicon lycopersicum

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Hege German Pink

Louisville, Kentucky

Elgin, Texas

On Sep 29, 2009, amideutch from Albersbach
Germany wrote:

I echo the comments of Vgary and Suze. Suze was kind enough to give me a few seeds for trial and everything about this tomato is excellent. I grew it in a 10 gal container and it just took off and pumped out these pink beauties with awesome taste.

On Feb 20, 2009, VGMKY from Louisville, KY wrote:

Hege German Pink This is a wonderful tomato, the very best pink, tasty and productive, beefsteak, OP, regular leaf, indeterminate, 75/80 days.

Mr. Hege, known as L.E., germinated hundreds and hundreds (thousands) of this tomato each year and sold the seedlings at the Farmer's Markets in several locations near his home in Welcome, NC. During the summer he grew them and sold them at the Farmer's Markets. Visitors to market always selected his tomatoes for home use over any varieties there! They loved the taste and quality! I understand he acquired the German Pink from an elderly gentleman who grew for market many years ago. So, it is an honor to continue the legacy passed on to us of this fine variety.

Lacy Eugene Hege Jr., 86, died Monday, May 19, 2008,... read more

On Jun 5, 2008, Suze_ from (Zone 7b) wrote:

This is a wonderful tomato, one of the very best I had the opportunity to taste at Tomatopalooza '07. I've grown it out for myself this yr from seeds saved from the event, and it is one of the very best pinks in my garden this yr. Productive and tasty.

Craig LeHoullier (my source) says "I got them last spring from Ron Simmons of Walnut Cove, NC. The packet says Hege, Davidson County, German Pink (Hege is underlined)."