Edging Lobelia, Annual Lobelia, Trailing Lobelia 'Regatta Midnight Blue'

Lobelia erinus

Family: Campanulaceae (kam-pan-yew-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Lobelia (low-BEE-lee-a) (Info)
Species: erinus (EAR-rin-us) (Info)
Cultivar: Regatta Midnight Blue
Additional cultivar information:(Regatta series)

under 6 in. (15 cm)

Lees Summit, Missouri

Mooresville, North Carolina

Freeland, Washington

On Oct 14, 2013, mehitabel45 from Whidbey Island, WA (Zone 8b) wrote:

I often use this in my window boxes. They get shade until the afternoon, and then about 4-6 hours of sun, but our afternoon temps seldom get above 80, so they thrive until hard frost hits in November. Every now and then, I just take the scissors to them, and they just keep on coming. Gorgeous blue, and I like it better than the Sapphire, which has a distinct white eye.

On May 10, 2011, ogon from Paradise, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

I planted trailing lobelia in a pot containing a sego palm that I overwinter in a well-lit shed for frost protection. Even though they're hardy in zone 9, winter frost tends to make segos lose their outer leaves so I prefer to protect mine. Not only did the "annual" lobelia survive the winter in the shed, it thrived and has taken over most of the pot. We'll see if it keeps going this winter too!

On Nov 1, 2010, troop1819 from Lees Summit, MO wrote:

I really like this plant when in full bloom and it is a nice addition to a hanging basket if it is a shade loving basket. In my area they are sold as a 'sun annual' but do not survive midwest heat in July and August. I did plant some under our river birches this year on the east side of the house, and they got a little scraggly in the heat of the summer but have bounced back with cooler temps and are blooming away again, are a nice complement to Dahlberg Daisies.