Purple Bee Balm 'Peter's Purple'

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Monarda (mo-NAR-da) (Info)
Cultivar: Peter's Purple

Flowers are good for cutting

By simple layering

Grapevine, Texas

Lufkin, Texas

Magnolia, Texas

On Jun 3, 2013, mojogirl from College Station, TX wrote:

Stuck this in the ground last year and for a year it just kinda hung around, not really doing anything, only a few blooms and only getting a couple feet tall. Well, the growing pains are over and this monarda is splendid! It readily self-seeds without being too invasive, tolerates wet, dry, sandy, clay, whatever situation you put it in. Mine is nearly 6 feet tall with no signs of slowing down and completely covered in blooms. While thinning it out yesterday I was dive-bombed by hummingbirds who have flocked to this plant.

On Sep 16, 2009, mcrousse from Holly Springs, NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

This monarda gets really tall when happy. 5 feet is not an overstatement, but it never flops. I have seen no powdery mildew here in the humid hot southeast and much less spreading that you get with the typical monarda. It has not become an invasive thug, so that has made me happy. The bees and hummers love it, of course. This is the ONLY monarda I will plant.

On Apr 15, 2009, blueflower19 from Lufkin, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

I planted peter's purple a year ago and it has done very well. Some spreading, but has not been invasive. It died to the ground in about december, but almost immediately began re-sprouting and remained a few inches tall until about the first of march when it really started putting on height. I look forward to planting more.

Update 6/2009: Posted new photo - this is peter's purple in May 09 and has been in the ground a little over a year. Right now it is about 4.5 - 5 ft tall.