Tomato 'KBX'

Lycopersicon lycopersicum

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: KBX
Additional cultivar information:(aka Kellogg's Breakfast Potato Leaf)
» View all varieties of Tomatoes

Reading, Pennsylvania

North Sioux City, South Dakota

Elgin, Texas

On May 18, 2014, elsutor from Penn Hills, PA wrote:

Maybe my favorite tomato! Extremely profuse and disease resistant in my garden last year. The perfect slicing tomato. Very firm and meaty, with out-of-this-world flavor!

The plants seemed to produce a large crop, and then production slowed in the heat of the summer. Long ripening time but they switched from putting on vegetative growth to blooming and producing fruit relatively early, hence the earlier production time and generally smaller-sized plant in comparison to my others. These plants stayed on the smaller size for an indeterminate. I kept them to two or three leaders per plant and they maxed out at about five feet in my zone 6 Pittsburgh, PA garden, and they were fertilized no differently from the rest. Sturdy stems.

The plants themselves smel... read more

On Aug 17, 2013, CaliforniaGuy from Lakewood, CA wrote:

Big, productive plant made a lot of complex and great tasting, light orange tomatoes. The plant seemed to ripen a little slower than many others in my yard, but the long term payoff is good.

On Aug 5, 2009, SLO_Garden from San Luis Obispo, CA wrote:

I was looking forward to trying KBX for the first time this year. Unfortunately, my KBX plant died of wilt when the 17 other plants in the ground were fine. I will give it another try next year because of the rave reviews others have given it for flavor, production, and (ironically) disease resistance.

On Jun 12, 2008, amideutch from Albersbach
Germany wrote:

Grew KB in 2006 and KBX in 2007. Found KBX to be a more productive, disease resistant plant with the same excellent taste as it's RL brother. Both were grown in 7 Gallon containers.

On Jun 12, 2008, Suze_ from (Zone 7b) wrote:

Potato leaf variant of Kellogg's Breakfast. Taste and appearance of fruits are identical. Very good flavor.