Eastern Coneflower, Eastern White Coneflower 'Meringue'

Echinacea purpurea

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Echinacea (ek-in-AY-shee-a) (Info)
Species: purpurea (pur-PUR-ee-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Meringue
Additional cultivar information:(PP20937; Cone-Fection series)
Hybridized by Blom

West Chester, Pennsylvania

Anderson, South Carolina

Clarksville, Tennessee

On Sep 29, 2011, BUFFY690 from Prosperity, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

These are awesome, I had one plant it lived in a place where it was apparrantly very unhappy, nothing but foilage all the time. I moved it in the spring to a raised bed, with less irrigation...It took off and is still blooming this year, I hva edeadheaded reqularly and sis give it some irrigation in the driest of times, but it didn't ask for extra irrigation. Very well behaved clump, it is getting a topdress of worm castings made of horse manure and organic vegetable scraps. Can't wait to see how it looks next year, hopefully I can split the clump and set another beautiful plant in another space in the yard :O)

On Jul 28, 2011, ms_greenjeans from Hopkins, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

I originally planted 5 of these coneflowers. All but one survived the first winter, but none really thrived. For the next two years I tried moving them here and there, and lost two more in the process. I have two left, and after the third year one of them seems quite happy, and the other is doing almost as well. The happy one really is lovely, has a lot of flowers, and I like it so much that I wish I had better luck with them.

On Jul 1, 2010, Zone8Gardener from San Antonio, TX wrote:

This is the best little plant. It is new in my garden this year and is just loaded with flowers that last a really long time. In our alkaline soil and 8b climate, it is pure white, not the white with gold that you see in pictures. It gets so hot here that sometimes full-sun plants do better with half day sun. Meringue gets a half day of sun or less. Mine is only 12" tall but is beautiful and is very showy.

Also in first season, we have Double Delight , Marmalade, and Hot Papaya. We're on the waiting list to get Pineapple Sundae. DD is beautiful and flowering heavily, with about 15 flowers and more forming, but Marmalade only had two spectacular flowers and made no more. Hot Papaya has about 8 flowers with no more forming. All of these look healthy and are near eac... read more