Desert Marigold, Desert Baileya, Wild Marigold, Paper Daisy
Baileya multiradiata

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Baileya (BAY-lee-uh) (Info)
Species: multiradiata (mul-ty-rad-ee-AH-tuh) (Info)

Silver/Gray

Velvet/Fuzzy-Textured

This plant is resistant to deer

7.9 to 8.5 (alkaline)

Self-sows freely; deadhead if you do not want volunteer seedlings next season

Collect seedhead/pod when flowers fade; allow to dry

Chandler, Arizona

Linden, Texas

San Angelo, Texas

negative

On Sep 16, 2013, Snooksme from Port Orange, FL wrote:

I live in Florida. Last year the Desert Marigold in a hugh pot bloomed all summer. I planted one in the yard at the back of the flower garden early Spring where it is dryer but gets reclaim water off and on. It has not bloomed all summer but has grown until it takes up the space of an entire volkswagon beetle on the ground. It started out as a bush, leaned over, and now trails as large as stated above. Why and also only about a dozen on the one in the pot? My Purple Cow Nursery in Fl says none of his in pots have bloomed this year and he just cut them all back last week. I need to know if I need to go ahead and just cut back all these big branches or tip as they are now getting into other people's property almost. I can not let them grow outward much longer and am so disappointed. ... read more

On Nov 16, 2011, Frostykay from Linden, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

I planted Desert Marigold seeds and got one plant up. It bloomed nonstop during our very dry and hot summer and everyone that visited my garden left with a handful of seeds. I live in Northeast Texas.

On Jun 7, 2009, shindagger from Oklahoma City, OK wrote:

This plant looks great from spring untill frost, blooming nonstop. It hates too much moisture and I loose some in the spring rains but it reseeds so aggressively that I have to pull a lot of them anyway. Grows in pure sand or the cracks of the sidewalk, very hardy and stands up to heat and dry conditions. Each plant is an upright, big bouquet of yellow/grey.

On Jan 4, 2007, frostweed from Josephine, Arlington, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Desert Marigold, Desert Baileya, Wild Marigold, Paper Daisy Baileya multiradiata is Native to Texas and other States.

On Dec 16, 2004, warp10 from Tucson, AZ wrote:

We have really pretty weeds in Tucson and this is one of them. It survives well on the meager rains we have received during a three-year drought. During our hottest months, it stops flowering, The rains bring this one back to life. In my garden, the foliage tends to grow to 5" to 8", with leafless flower spikes extending to 15" to 20". The grey-green foliage contrasts the bright yellow composite flowers stunningly! The foliage is pubescent and reminds me of 'Dusty Miller.' It self-sows as advertised...but I didn't have success getting seedlings from the seed I harvested and broadcast in a different bedding area. This is a gem if you are looking for some color in a 'grey garden.' Bedding idea: It looks great intermixed with Verbena gooddingii and Penstemon parryi.

On Sep 14, 2003, oliveoil wrote:

My marigolds that I planted in the spring from the previous year's seeds are still growing in September. They have tolerated high,dry summer heat and have shaded some less heat-tolerant plants in the garden, allowing them to endure.
By October, I suspect the marigolds' blooms will have stopped coming, and I will remove them and start over again with their seeds in the spring.