Butterfly Bush, Summer Lilac
Buddleja 'Blue Chip'

Family: Buddlejaceae
Genus: Buddleja (BUD-lee-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Blue Chip
Additional cultivar information:(PP19991; Lo & Behold series)
Hybridized by Werner/Snelling
Registered or introduced: 2007
Synonym:Buddleia

Blue-Green

Medium Blue

Purple

Velvet/Fuzzy-Textured

This plant is resistant to deer

Patented

Plano, Texas

Keller, Virginia

negative

On Mar 7, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

This cultivar's dwarf habit isn't its only ornamental feature.

We planted several two years ago. (Boston, Z6a) We found that, unlike most Buddleias, deadheading is optional. Old inflorescences turn green instead of black and don't detract (much) from the plant's appearance. And--I suppose because they're sterile---leaving them on doesn't slow down the rebloom. These plants are blooming machines.

In time, they clearly can get at least three feet high and wide, if you let them. Unlike most Buddleia davidii, which naturally grow upright, the natural habit of this cultivar is rounded. I have yet to see much winter dieback on them, and we haven't yet had to do any hard pruning. Though I suppose---since this winter has been the first hard one for a while---the real ... read more

On Nov 10, 2011, pointgarden from Newport, RI wrote:

I have had good luck with this one,bloomed from june untill now 11/9.Buddleias can be pruned hard to keep the plant as compact as you wish.

On Jul 25, 2011, LeslieT from Bellaire, TX wrote:

I first planted two of these in my zone 9B garden as mail order plants because they weren't available locally yet. One died immediately; the other was just great. So, the next year I bought two other plants in one-gallon containers. About the time I planted them, I realized my thriving planted specimen had suddenly died. I blamed the location. The new specimens were great for nearly two years. Then, each died within a few months of each other. They were fine one day; began showing distress and were dead within a week. All were planted in raised beds; one in a drier location than the others. Two were in full sun; two in part sun. I certainly do NOT recommend this plant unless you are willing to replant constantly; they look best after one year in the ground, but in my experience w... read more

On Jun 22, 2010, plantfreak78 from Rolesville, NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

A great introduction by my former professor, Dr. Dennis Werner, at N.C. State. Decidedly more compact than most other Buddleia, this cultivar grows about 36" tall as seen in my picture.

On Jun 20, 2009, MotherNature4 from Bartow, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

'Blue Chip' is a true dwarf that stays under two feet. Panicles of fragrant, blue/violet flowers attract bees and butterflies all summer, through the first frost if you deadhead. Cut back to 12" in early spring.

On Sep 27, 2008, julianchandler from Stillwater, OK wrote:

I planted Blue Chip in April (VERY small immature plants) and they were blooming profusely by June. Every claim made for Blue Chip is absolutely true, in spades. Lovely foliage, beautiful continuous blooms, thrives in the heat and humidity of an Oklahoma summer. I deadheaded every 2 or 3 days to keep the plants looking neat. By September, they were about 18 inches in diameter and a foot tall. A great groundcover. Please note that these plants are brittle and if you accidentally step on one of them, it will likely break off at ground level and may or may not survive. (I know from experience--one regrew and one did not!)

On Aug 22, 2008, echinaceamaniac from (Clint) Medina, TN (Zone 7b) wrote:

Beautiful bloom color and size of bloom in relation to size of plants. It's so small I'm using it as a border plant for taller echinaceas. This plant is a real breakthrough in my opinion.

On Jul 10, 2008, seedpicker_TX from (Taylor) Plano, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

'Blue Chip' is a dwarf variety of Buddleja that was just intorduced this year(2008) and is one of three in the Lo & Behold series. Two more colors in the Lo & Behold series are due to be release next year, in pink and white.