Weigela
Weigela florida

Family: Caprifoliaceae (cap-ree-foh-lee-AY-see-ee) (Info) (cap-ree-foh-lee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Weigela (wy-GEE-la) (Info)
Species: florida (FLOR-id-uh) (Info)
Synonym:Weigela rosea

Princeton, West Virginia

Hudson, Wisconsin

negative

On Jun 7, 2014, bobbieberecz from Concrete, WA wrote:

I've had a wine and roses shrub for about 5 years and it flowers nicely every year. It's part of a shrub border and keeps to the tag's stated height of 5 to 6 feet. I haven't ever trimmed it and it's around 5 feet right now. I have sandy/loam soil which dries out quickly and since it's placed between two smoke bushes, which don't like too much water, the weigela also doesn't get watered much. Even in our 90 - 100* weather the plant never seems to wilt or stress. My daughter has the shell pink variety in clay soil. It also does well with little to no care and is fantastically beautiful----actually, much more so (in my humble opinion) than the wine and roses. Every rhodie that dies will be replaced with one of these beautiful shrubs (I have 15) as they don't seem to have pests, diseas... read more

On Mar 24, 2011, mawmah from Fayetteville, AR wrote:

The one that I have I got the start from my grandma, up in the mountains north of Clarksville, Ar. I tried every way to get a start & none worked till I took a branch anchored it to the ground & covered it with dirt, when it had rooted I cut it off of the main plant & it grew like crazy. I got my start before my grandma passed away in 1976 & moved it here in 1985. I don't do anything to it, it blooms everyyear unless a freeze or frost gets it. I don't water it or feed it, because I just didn't have the time or energy to do so. It is special to me because it came from my grandma. How long she had hers or where it came from I don't know. I know that she didn't water hers because she would have had to draw the water for it.

On Mar 24, 2008, beverly710 from Newalla, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

Got mine as a gift in a little pot, planted it in a mostly sunny area and it's grown to about 8 or 9 feet. I don't do a thing to
it and thrives. Hummingbirds love it and deer leave it alone.

On May 21, 2006, mickgene from Linden, VA (Zone 6a) wrote:

This is the first plant the hummingbirds come to in the spring. And the songbirds use it for cover. Mine was planted 6 years ago and is about 9' tall, despite yearly pruning of the less productive branches. When it's in bloom, little else can compete with its beauty.

On May 17, 2006, TBGDN from (Zone 5a) wrote:

I have two of these deciduous shrubs on the south lawn area near the house: One adjacent to the patio off the back deck; and another nearby, easily visible from the deck chairs for hummingbird patrol. In addition I added two 'Red Prince' cultivars several years ago as added hummingbird 'insurance'.

On Oct 18, 2005, kbaumle from Northwest, OH (Zone 5b) wrote:

I have the "Wine and Roses" Weigela florida, and for some reason, this plant doesn't like me. I've had it for three years and it hasn't performed well at all. It starts out great in the spring, has a few blooms, then loses all the bottom leaves. Right now, it looks woody and only has leaves on the ends of the branches. Wish I knew what I was doing wrong! It's in a sunny location, well-drained soil that can be affected by drought in the hot summer.

On May 24, 2004, 1cav from Charleston, IL wrote:

I live outside of Charleston, IL. zone 5 on hardiness chart. I've had the Red Prince for 2 years. It is a beauty of a plant and seems to bloom a little more during the summer,but nothing like the spring. I've bought more to plant this year.
Victor Castle

On Nov 4, 2002, llllll wrote:

I prefer Weigela florida 'variegata', as its variagated leaves have a nice light green color, which goes well with dark evergreens (in my case thuja). As long as I keep them well watered, they sporatically shoot pinkish white bell shaped flowers (very nice looking) all Summer into Fall. There is also a dwarf cultivater, I have two of which flank my front steps.

On Jul 31, 2002, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

I have two of these in my yard and they do not like the shade at all - spindly growth and few flowers. Though they grow all over in the South, they are actually native to Japan.

On Jul 24, 2002, LEP wrote:

I have three of these shrubs in my garden, they are the most prolific flowering bushes I have ever had. They are wonderful in spring with their masses of flowers. I feel these shrubs are coming into there own once more. I would not hesitate to recommend these shrubs to any body.

On Mar 10, 2001, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

Fast-growing deciduous shrub. Some varieties are more compact than species. In late spring, arching branches bear flowers (hues depend on variety)

Note: Weigela flowers on last year's growth; prune immediately after blooming (and only if necessary to enhance shape.)