Adam's Needle, Spoonleaf Yucca, Needle-Palm

Yucca filamentosa

Family: Agavaceae (ah-gav-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Yucca (YUK-uh) (Info)
Species: filamentosa (fil-uh-men-TOH-suh) (Info)
Synonym:Yucca concava
Synonym:Yucca filamentosa subsp. concava
Synonym:Yucca smalliana
Synonym:Yucca flaccida

Alpines and Rock Gardens

Ornamental Grasses and Bamboo

Grow outdoors year-round

Plant has spines or sharp edges; use extreme caution when handling

Pale Yellow

This plant is monocarpic

Remove fleshy coating on seeds before storing

Alabaster, Alabama

Decatur, Alabama

Gaylesville, Alabama

Haleyville, Alabama

Springville, Alabama

Tuscaloosa, Alabama (2 reports)

Los Angeles, California

Hudson, Florida

Pensacola, Florida

Cordele, Georgia

Villa Rica, Georgia

Warner Robins, Georgia (2 reports)

Winterville, Georgia

Anna, Illinois

Belleville, Illinois

Bloomington, Illinois

Chicago, Illinois (4 reports)

Jacksonville, Illinois

Madison, Wisconsin

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Porterfield, Wisconsin

On Mar 1, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

A dramatic, exotic looking evergreen shrub/perennial. In the right place, this is a great looking plant. It makes a good focal point in a border. It's also tough as nails.

Here, the evergreen foliage looks good into January, but heavy snow leaves it looking ragged from late winter till the new growth covers it in late spring. The leaves are softer than with most yuccas, and the hard points on the tips aren't very dangerous except perhaps to the eyes.

Though this is a full-sun plant in nature, it can perform well with less sun than is generally believed. I rescued a tiny single rosette and planted it where it gets sun only after about 2PM, and in single year it got big and bloomed. I often see this species doing well in moderate shade under trees.

... read more

On Feb 6, 2014, Rickwebb from Downingtown, PA wrote:

In the right kind of landscape theme, this perennial looks great, but oftentimes it is a sore thumb in the wrong places. It looks good in seashore or desert themed landscapes with rocks, gravel,and sand and goes well with grasses, hard pines, junipers, Northern Bayberry, Lilies and other monocots. Once planted, it is hard to eradicate as it keeps coming up from thick, fleshy roots. I see it growing native along the shore of southern Delaware.

On Jul 14, 2013, Chinandega81 from Mexicali
Mexico wrote:

I planted a single Yucca in Madison, WI (zone 5) five years ago this summer, and always wondered why it never flowered. I thought it might be because of too much rain, pewny summers that were too cool and moist, not enough sun, overly harsh winters, etc. I never experienced the problems or issues that posters farthur south did regarding out of control behavior. I even wondered if the harsh Upper Midwest winters, cold Springs and early Falls played a roll. Add to that, a long, deep snow cover for many months and I wasn't too positive if my Yucca was all that happy, since it's leaves got weighed down by snow every Winter and looked shabby come Spring (yet it always sprung back in Summer). But what gave me hope that my yucca would some day bloom was to that I had seen other yuccas in Southern... read more

On Jun 20, 2013, Gaiagirl from Midland, VA wrote:

This plant is starting to become invasive in my area. I have a large voluntary specimen near my front porch where nothing ever seems to grow well for some reason, so I'm willing to give it a shot. But throughout the county this year, I see the things popping up like giant prehistoric weeds, along with Russian Olive and other seldom-encountered species.

On Feb 25, 2013, kmm44 from Dayton, OH wrote:

My experiences with yucca (I forgot there was another name for it) have been mostly positive. Truthfully, I have a love-hate relationship with it. I love the hardiness of it and the evergreen quality during the yucky OH winters. I also love the look of the flowers. I have learned to live with the negatives.
The big problem was not addressed in the article. It states the seeds grow on pods and can be saved for planting later. It doesn't say what happens if you don't remove the pods before they split on their own and drop thousands of seeds, which then grow and spread and spread and spread! One year I didn't get around to removing the stalk with the pods. The next spring I noticed what looked like blades of grass growing all over the bed where the yucca clump was. Eventually... read more

On Feb 20, 2013, mpwifey from Colorado Springs, CO wrote:

Colorado Springs has yucca growing naturally all over the place.
I there were 5 in my yard when we moved here. Have been trying to dig them up every year. They just come back. but instead of one growing back where you dug one out, 3 will come back, or they will just move to a different spot a few feet away.
In my main flower bed I have have to dig up several flowers I loved because the yucca was coming back up next to or right through them. A neighbor girl said she loved yucca, but she loved them because her grandma you dig up the roots, chop them into slices and fry them like potato chips. She said they taste similar to potato chips. And I guess they attract hummingbirds too. don't touch them though. Your skin will sting for an hour or two. they are very painful plants. I ... read more

On Feb 19, 2013, ej_the_dj from Warner Robins, GA wrote:

I just thought this plant was native to Georgia, and other places where tropical plants grow easily. I have not tried any 'experiments' or anything with this plant. It has bloomed a few times, and I've lived in this location most of my life. (My childhood home). I can only guess that the people who long-ago lived here before us, put it here. It has one pup, and I did not try to re-locate it because the spiney leaves are very sharp and did not want to risk getting cut. These two plants are side-by-side to each other and are in front of the house. The flowers hang upside-down, are bell-shaped, and white/creamy for it's color. And, they also have a nice scent, although I had to be careful of the spiney leaves when I walked-up to it. I do not wish to move it because I like them where they are.... read more

On Jan 21, 2013, ohyoubigsilly from Ramsey, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

Here in Minnesota, it's always a treat to find tropical-looking plants that can survive subzero weather in winter, so naturally I decided to pick this up a few years ago and plant it next to my koi pond. What a great, care-free plant! I was worried it wouldn't survive a string of -20F lows two winters ago, but sure enough by spring, it was still green and thriving. It also takes a lot of abuse, as the deer chomp on it all winter long, but it grows back larger and stronger every year.

My only complaint is that it has yet to bloom, after five years. It has nearly full sun where it's planted, so I'm not sure if the climate is just too cold and/or wet to support summer blooms, but I love the evergreen foliage, anyway. I'm looking forward to acquiring some suckers so I can start... read more

On Apr 30, 2012, LJinWBPA from Wilkes-Barre, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

I rescued mine from the woods where a landscaper must have dumped it a few years ago (maybe 6 or 7). At the time I felt it was the closest thing I'd ever have to a palm tree. Adam's Needle Yuccas are relatively common in Northeast PA. They seem to take some effort to transplant and establish but after that they are here to stay. Last week I felt it was getting too big for the spot it was in and thought I would remove the suckers ,trim the dead parts (not an easy task), and try an experiment. I have been attempting hardy palms here for several years. 2 of the supposedly hardiest palms (Needle, Sabal Minor) sort of resemble yuccas at a distance. I thought I'd remove the lower leaves and all the lower suckers and it seems to have an 8 to 9 inch (roughly) trunk. I wish I would have thou... read more

On Apr 23, 2011, SuburbanNinja80 from Plainfield, IN (Zone 6a) wrote:

I Had this Plant in my yard For Years. I love it. But this year it got badly Burned by Ice Storm and this lives on like Champ.

On Jan 18, 2011, glochid15 from Parsons, KS (Zone 6b) wrote:

You can often see them growing on hillsides along highways in rather large clusters. They don't seem to be picky about growing conditions; they only demand sufficient sunlight. We have quite a few growing wild on our property, and they seem to grow fine in the native clay soil. The large flower stalks are a bonus.

On Dec 7, 2010, Alexwtf_93 from Susanville, CA wrote:

i started my plants from pups i got off a larger plant, they now grow wherever i plant them, it takes new plants a couple years to bloom, but after that they usually bloom every year .. very nice looking plant

On Dec 12, 2007, NoLawns from Warrenville, IL wrote:

Easy to grow plant. You can plant them and forget about them. Mine only flowers once every 3-5 years though. Foliage does look nice all year long. Brush snow off them if you want to keep the foliage neater.

On Sep 24, 2007, WUVIE from Hulbert, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

A positive vote for this Yucca due it's durability, sharing factor and winter endurance. Please note,this is my opinion. ;-)

One should always research an item before planting, so I can't fault the plant for doing what it will. Highly likely (read: It's going to happen) to become a permanent visitor, so be sure to plant it where it will be allowed to grow forever.

Years ago, I dug up what I thought would be a few small plants, placing them in various locations. Over time, I have transplanted numerous new plants that are offshoots of the main root; which is going nowhere due to the size of the root.

Yesterday I dug seven more new plants, moving them to new homes further out, as they require no assistance to grow well and bloom in this area.
... read more

On Oct 30, 2006, JodyC from Palmyra, IL (Zone 5b) wrote:

These are growing wild about 1/2 mile from here..they cover a hillside along the road..I'm going to have to go dig one up and bring it home..I just love it when they are in bloom...:-)

On Jul 15, 2006, rubygloomrox from Red Wing, MN wrote:

I love this plant and have recieved a lot of compliments on it. Many of my friends went and got some of their own. I have mine with some rose bushes, and it stands out and really adds something to the scenery.
I planted it in pretty acidic soil and in direct sunlight and then ignore it except to admire it. It gets enough water from our rainfall and sometimes run off from other plants to survive, so it's maintenance free for me, too. A plant that looks great with little to no care is always welcome here.
The only thing these need is well-draining soil. That's a must.

On Apr 19, 2006, Hikaro_Takayama from Fayetteville, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

Many people grow these plants around where I live because of their evergreen, tropical looking foliage and their beautiful flowers. I have seen some that have escaped cultivation and are growing in weedy, vacant lots. We have three established clumps in our yard, and they are really pretty, especially in the winter, when everything else is brown and dead looking, and the summer (around June), when they put up 5 ft tall flower spikes. I have also planted some at the edge of a small stream through the woods behind our house in hopes that they can push out the garlic mustard, and even have bought one of the attractive varigated cultivars from a local nursery. I reccomend these to all cold-area gardeners to add a bit of the tropics to your yard.

They are also extremely droug... read more

On Feb 8, 2006, raisedbedbob from Walkerton, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

American Indians used the root in salves and poultices for sores, skin diseases and sprains. Pounded roots were put in water to stupefy corralled fish so they would float to the surface for easy harvesting.

On Apr 16, 2005, LisaTWade from Alabaster, AL (Zone 7b) wrote:

My grandad had these growing by his drainage ditch for years in Indianapolis. I collected seeds and dug up some starts and now have my own patch of them in Alabama. My plants have tended to form clumps of plants instead of staying as one solitary plant. I would rather it just stay as one yucca plant. It is very difficult to remove them, so like another user stated, plant them where you want them to stay forever. And put them where you won't mind if they grow a few offsets. When my yuccas bloom, the leaf-footed bug (leptoglossus phyllopus) comes and breeds on the blooms, causing them to turn yucky and brown. My plants rarely go to seed I think because the bugs are eating the pods or blooms.

On Feb 24, 2005, RRRupert123 from Solon, IA wrote:

I found one of these yuccas in a ditch accross from a cemetery. the person who put it there actually didn't PUT it there. the person threw it accross the road and it started growing. now i have atleast 25 of these plants. (you can cut off a part of the root and put it under ground and it will grow a whole new plant) my yucca now has a half a foot trunk; i don't know if the trunk will grow any larger.

On Apr 14, 2004, sue1952 from Utica, MI wrote:

In SE Michigan - We had one of these in the garden and were advised to divide when we revamped our landscape. Hard to dig up - but once divided even grew faster and more prolific. In three years we have taken over 20 "pups" off of 3 plants. These are terrific for foundation plantings - a different look for those who are tired of the traditional evergreens.

On Jan 21, 2003, Lavanda from Mcallen, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

The blooms of this plant can be used to make a cool, refreshing beverage. It is made by brewing a tea with them, sweetening to taste, and served at room temperature or with ice.

On Jan 9, 2003, mystic from Ewing, KY (Zone 6a) wrote:

Grow this plant where you want it to grow forever! Once started its near impossible to get rid of. Any little piece of tuber will make a new plant.I have dug it up and thought I had it all and the next thing you know its back again. I even had it come through landscape cloth and 3 ft of soil where I had put raised beds over where it was.

On Jan 9, 2003, ButterflyGardnr from Orlando, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

This plant is very easy to grow and has a very unique form. It likes full sun and well-drained, sandy soils. There is mutualism between the yucca plant and the yucca moth. The moth gains food and shelter from the plant; in return the moth polinates the plant.

On Aug 26, 2002, lupinelover from Grove City, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

Super easy to grow tropical-looking plant. All that is required is adequate drainage and some sun. Once you have it, it is there for keeps! Tuber-like growths in the root area ensure the plant stays, regardless of whether the top is removed or not. All parts of the plant are usable: root tubers are edible, leaves can be woven as fiber, and the flowers are delicious to eat as well as to smell. Super-easy to grow from seed, there are many named cultivars that are variegated, and that have different color flowers. Very attractive to hummingbirds, butterflies and bees.