Fragrant Tea Olive 'Fudingzhu'

Osmanthus fragrans

Family: Oleaceae (oh-lee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Osmanthus (os-MAN-thus) (Info)
Species: fragrans (FRAY-granz) (Info)
Cultivar: Fudingzhu
Additional cultivar information:(aka Nanjing's Beauty)

Pale Yellow

Late Fall/Early Winter

Mid Winter

From hardwood cuttings

By air layering

Seed does not store well; sow as soon as possible

Brandon, Florida

Trenton, South Carolina

Odessa, Texas

Walla Walla, Washington

On Dec 21, 2012, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I got mine from Nursery Caroliniana in late fall 2012 and within one month it was sending out flower buds. I don't find the fragrance any stronger than the regular osmanthus but it is a new plant and maybe not quite at home yet in my garden.

On May 25, 2009, Guy07070 from Rutherford, NJ wrote:

I think I am just on the border (6b) re hardiness of this plant, but it survived the first winter here (albeit with only a third of the leaves by spring) and is growing again . . . it did flower profusely in the fall and might have done so longer if the weather were not so harsh. Maybe an antidessicant applied in the fall (e.g., Wilt-Prufe) would help preserve the leaves and decrease stresses due to sun, wind, and bitter cold on this tender evergreen.

On Dec 29, 2008, Chantell from Middle of, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

This lovely plant came to me in bud and just started blooming the last few days. My goodness what a scent!!! It is all that everyone raves about...and this with just a few blooms. I have to lean in, at this point, to catch the scent but that's ok by me!! I'll know better later, when the plant has more blooms, whether the scent carries well. Safe to say I'm very pleased to have this as part of my fragrant collection!!!

On Aug 15, 2008, plantfreak78 from Rolesville, NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

Our nursery started carrying this cultivar early last fall and by late fall I had to have one. There are claims that it will bloom for 9 months out of the year and I'm not sure that they're true but they did bloom heavily for at least two months in fall and definitely outbloomed the other O. fragrans. I still haven't had a chance to plant mine but it bloomed intermittently all winter, then heavily in spring and it made it through winter outside in it's pot.