PlantFiles: Silk Tree, Mimosa Tree, Pink Siris, Persian Silk Tree
Albizia julibrissin

Family: Mimosaceae
Genus: Albizia (al-BIZ-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: julibrissin (joo-lih-BRISS-in) (Info)

Synonym:Albizzia julibrissin
Synonym:Mimosa julibrissin
Synonym:Albizia julibrissin var. julibrissin
Synonym:Mimosa arborea

Pollen may cause allergic reaction

4.6 to 5.0 (highly acidic)

By aking1a

Thumbnail #6 of Albizia julibrissin by Baa

By Baa
Thumbnail #7 of Albizia julibrissin by Baa

Positive Justjordn On Jun 19, 2014, Justjordn from Girard, OH wrote:

We have had our tree for over 30 yrs surprisingly here in Ohio. Although we no longer find any starts from the seeds and the seeds are VERY tiny in the pods now. I absolutely LOVE this tree and has made
It thru many harsh Ohio winters. I do believe it is now nearing the end, most of the limbs have no sign of life BUT thankfully we do have some ferns starting on about 10 of our branches. Such a great tree it has been and it is the only one in our neighborhood since we got it so many years ago, although we have numerous people stopping every year taking seeds trying to start these beautiful trees themselves.

Neutral coriaceous On Mar 13, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

In the southeastern US, this tree is commonly afflicted by vascular wilt disease (fusarium), which can kill it to the ground. Other diseases and pests are also common, including nematodes. From what I hear, I'm surprised that it still can be cultivated in the south.

These problems don't seem to be so troublesome here in the north. It's still an aggressive self-sower here in Massachusetts, but it doesn't invade natural areas.

Positive lalea878 On Jan 18, 2014, lalea878 from Mobile, AL wrote:

I live in Mobile, AL and yes, this tree goes crazy in my yard, as do Camelias, Magnolias and Azaleas. I dont hear folks complaining about any of those too much as being invasive though. I love mimosas, as I do the other varieties I mentioned, except azaleas arent my fave (they bloom a total of a month or so and try to shut out everything else in my yard, and get way too large). I had a mimosa growing through my privacy fence slats and had to use a saw on it as the board was bending due to the tree branch breaking through.

Negative pinkscraps On Jun 11, 2013, pinkscraps from St George, UT wrote:

Beautiful tree but ugly messy. Our association landscaper planted this tree right by our patio. Now the patio is covered with pink fuzzies constantly, clustering in great globs by the door mat. Any chance there's a spray to keep this tree from blooming?? Love the fern-like look which gives privacy and shade, but cannot stand the pink fuzzies.

Positive Dean48089 On May 5, 2013, Dean48089 from Warren, MI (Zone 6b) wrote:

I would never be without this tree. When I lived in an apartment I grew one as a bonsai. Now I have a huge one in my yard and it is a constant source of pleasure. It starts blooming in late June, just as the catalpa blooms end, and keeps on blooming into September. There are no other blooming trees that grow in this climate flowering at that time. During that time, from dawn to dusk the tree is full of buzzing hummingbirds and every sort of wasp and bee imaginable. The tree casts just enough shade to make the patio tolerable during the summer, yet not so much that it becomes a dark 'skeeter den. Seedlings, coming up from last year's seeds, seldom ever survive their first winter.

I can imagine that this tree might be a problem in places like Florida, but virtually everything is a potential invasive in that climate so gardeners there must be constantly vigilant. Here in Michigan I have more problems with Hibiscus syriacus (Althea, Rose of Sharon) seedlings, as well as that most pernicious of weeds the 'Tree of Heaven' (Ailanthus).

I have only ever heard this tree called "Mimosa Tree" in my life, However apparently the correct common name is "Silk Tree." In Britain, "Mimosa Tree" refers to a species of Acacia.

Positive Mike_W On Aug 30, 2012, Mike_W from Sterling, MA wrote:

I purchased a Mimosa tree this past spring and it has performed well so far this summer. It's only about 2 feet tall, so I can't wait to watch it grow! The leaves are very pretty and the few mature specimens I've seen have a wonderful shape to them, a very tropical looking tree. They seem to be sort of on the rare side in this area. The only ones I recall seeing were in Boston's Franklin Park Zoo, but I happened to notice one growing in the yard of a home a few miles from my own house just this past year.

I'm not too concerned about it being invasive. The few that I've seen here in MA seem to indicate that it doesn't spread too easily in this area. I just hope mine grows to a nice size without being bothered by disease.

Neutral mcgerm On Aug 25, 2012, mcgerm from Galesburg, MI wrote:

I just reported this tree growning in Comstock MI. It is right along the Norfolk Southern tracks along M-96. I almost wrecked my car when I saw this tree. It was not a small specimen either so it has been growing there through quite a few Michigan winters.

Neutral mirshahed On Jul 12, 2012, mirshahed wrote:

silk tress is an asset of natural beauty. some person like it very much and some person less. "Silk Tree" also beautiful name. it is not also costly to grow. some care is enough to planting.

Positive VineWorld On Jul 11, 2012, VineWorld from Syracuse, UT (Zone 7b) wrote:

I live in middle Alabama and I can attest to this plant's rampent spread (I have about 20 small ones in my yard I didn't even plant)! BUT that does not mean I don't love this absolutely gorgeous tree. It's flowers and bipinnate leaves are beautiful and the leaves close up at night for giggles. It also makes a wonderful addition to any landscape.

It is also a legume, so it's filling your soil with nitrogen it might not of had before!

Overall I would recommend this plant because of it beauty and the fact is it a legume, but just remember if you live somewhere hot and humid, you might very well have a few new seedlings you didn't plan on in your yard next year!

Positive QualitySilkPlants On Jun 18, 2012, QualitySilkPlants from Corona, CA wrote:

Great information however I had an easy time crowing the silk tree in my back yard in Southern California. It seems like the climate is perfect for this tree and as long as you keep it watered it won't die.

Negative DragonStone On May 29, 2012, DragonStone from Fairfield Harbour, NC wrote:

People aren't kidding about seedlings. It's easy to mow over them if all you have is a lawn but when it comes to beds, that's another issue. If you don't stay on top of the seedlings, it'll turn all garden beds into "carpets of green". I do what I can during spring to fight them back but once the heat of summer kicks in and I spend less time outside, the seedlings take over -everything-. I wish I could eradicate the source but alas, it's not mine or even on my property.

Positive Annietree On Apr 27, 2012, Annietree from Colonial Heights, VA wrote:

I love this tree, and it makes me sad how it gets criticized. This is the most beautiful, fragrant tree in the world, and it makes me happy to have one in my yard. Whenever I feel bad, my mimosa cheers me up. The ferny leaves close up at night, and I think that's sweet. It does draw a lot of birds and butterflies. People always ask me what kind of tree it is. I have no problem with the blossoms. It blooms all summer, unlike most trees which only bloom briefly in the early spring. They are gorgeous and well worth it. They drop on the ground, so what, they wither and dissolve into the ground or are chewed up by the lawn mower. Never an issue, how can people be so nitpicky? Also the 'invasive' argument is ridiculous. I have seen a mimosa be in an area for years and never spread. In neighborhoods, the lawn mower usually takes care of any unwanted volunteers, and on the roadsides, let them grow, what a nice way to break up the monotony of pines and oaks! They are far less bothersome than a 'native' sweet gum with those awful gumballs, and far prettier. And think about it, except for the Indians, we are ALL 'invasive species' this country, it's not realistic to think you can maintain an ecosystem from 400 years ago, things do change over time. As much damage as HUMANS have done to the enviornment, I don't want to see anybody whining about a little pink tree!!!!

Positive Warmenuf On Mar 28, 2012, Warmenuf from Gibsonville, NC wrote:

I have met a number of people who don't like the mimosa, but I continue to love it, to the extent that I got some seedlings a few years ago and planted several in my yard. What I like most about the mimosa is that it attracts hummingbirds.

Neutral Readerwoman On Aug 29, 2011, Readerwoman from Golden Valley, AZ wrote:

What I am seeking is some information on what might be eating our mimosas! We live in NW Arizona, about 3,000 ft. elevation, and have three of the trees. Two are being attacked, in a pattern that looks to be from the top down. They were planted about a year or so ago, and are about 7' tall. They were fine in the early summer, with lovely blossoms and sturdy growth. Our immediate yard is fenced, and we have started closing the driveway gates to keep the burros and larger animals out - but they couldn't reach that high anyway, unless they are/were pulling at the branches to lower them for nibbling! Branches are disappearing, as well as leaves, but they seem to be leaving the pods alone. HELP!
They don't seem to be invasive here, the climate prevents it, I think, and we keep the runners trimmed off.
Any ideas as to what pest/critter could be attacking these trees, and how to prevent it? Thanks (oh, and the third tree is in a different location - about 20 yards away)

Negative gunde On Aug 16, 2011, gunde from Westmoreland, TN wrote:

When I moved to my present home in Tennessee, I inherited a large mimosa. I thought it pretty and fragrant, yes, but.... seedlings, seedlings EVERYWHERE. Hundreds of them every year, to be pulled from my vegetable beds, my flower beds, my gravel walks and my gutters (yes, even there!!). I had overlooked some in my borders and since they are almost impossible to pull after only a year's growth or so, was forced to lop them off, which is pretty useless since they resprout ALWAYS. Impossible to eradicate! A true nuisance plant and yet my kids wanted one for their backyard. I warned them, but I guess they'll have to find out for themselves that this "beauty" comes at a big price to pay. Would not recommend except where climate might (by no means, necessarily will) keep this invasive plant in check.

Positive loomis On Aug 2, 2011, loomis from Las Vegas, NV wrote:

Great tree for Las Vegas, our lovely desert and lack of rain keeps this tree in check. It can take our full sun. Its kind of ironic that some of the best trees that are invasive in other parts of the US do really well here. I planted one a couple of years ago on the south side of my house and it keeps chugging along. Average water usage in Vegas for this tree.

Negative inezscion On Jul 11, 2011, inezscion from Ocala, FL wrote:

I have NOT and Will Not grow this tree. In Florida the Mimosa is a very invasive tree. Yes, i think it's very pretty, but conserving our native eco system is much more important than having a 'pretty' tree. Please, Please do not tout this tree!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Inez, Florida Master Gardener

Positive Tsumi On Jun 6, 2011, Tsumi from Hampton Bays, NY wrote:

I love the mimosa tree. We used to have them on a small peninsula where I live, and after years, they disappeared. I'm curious to know if deer are attracted to the flowers or seeds? If anyone has the answer I would appreciate it. I'm getting ready to plant 3 small new trees and want to protect them from any invaders! Thanks!

Neutral herbella On Jun 3, 2011, herbella from Albuquerque, NM wrote:

This was the first time that I ever knew that it was called a "silk tree". In Oklahoma, I recall that we had a mature mimosa tree growing near the shed in the backyard of our house. The tree commanded attention so that few people noticed the shed underneath it. That was good because the house sat on a corner lot where the backyard was visible to everyone! However, I don't recall that the mimosa had a scent or that it attracted butterflies. I would have noticed butterflies because I love them. I also don't recall that the mimosa produced volunteers. I am certain that it helped cool things off during those summers when we tried to survive without air conditioning. Now that I live in New Mexico, I have pulled mimosa seedlings up from under our pion pine and from under our fruitless mulberry. I have to stay vigilant because I know that it forms deep roots quickly so as to make it impossible to pull up. The leaves are tiny so that they are difficult to sweep up or rake up. However, I think that the red bottle-brush tree is worse than mimosa, as far as being messy, because the red bristles of the bottle-brush are actually slippery and dangerous after they have fallen and gathered on a sidewalk.

Negative FlyPoison On Jun 2, 2011, FlyPoison from Rock Hill, SC (Zone 7a) wrote:

Introduced by French botanist Andr Michaux in the late 18th century in his formal garden in Charleston, SC, this tree is considered highly invasive. Granted, it's a beautiful specimen but it can really crowd out native plants. I took one out near my home 3 years a go, yet it still sends up new shoots. I plan to hit it directly by cutting the roots and applying roundup. It will be eradicated!

The roots of the plant can literally spread hundreds of feet and in the right environment it can reach heights of over 100'. I've seen some huge specimens while hiking locally that I didn't recognize at first due to their girth and height.

Negative xerichick On Jun 2, 2011, xerichick from Dripping Springs, TX wrote:

Yes, they are beautiful & fragrant, but... It really isn't of value as "food" as some comments suggest. I take it that most of the positive reviewers are not vegetable gardeners or farmers. Open ground with no mulch cover is where wind distributed seeds become a problem. The negative review from Crispycritter in GA points out the struggle that his farmer neighbor is having with the abundant seeds produced by this plant. The time & expense to farmers who must control the invasion of this plant into their fields translates into higher grocery prices. Incorporate albizia julibrissin flowers into your diet, & report back how much it lowers your food bill is. Try serving it to your children, too, & let us know how that goes.

Positive ladyisle On May 31, 2011, ladyisle from Bohemia, NY (Zone 7a) wrote:

I have three that a good friend gave me. Beautiful and no bothersome seedlings.

Positive MusaRojo On May 30, 2011, MusaRojo wrote:

I spent many hours up in the branches of a Mimosa tree in my front yard when I was a child. This is a beautiful and exotic tree and I find it difficult to understand why so many people hate this species. As for all the complaints about it producing seedlings; duh, this is the goal of every plant!

Negative GrammyRose On May 30, 2011, GrammyRose from Livermore, CA wrote:

My neighbor planted this beautiful tree in 1972, had it dug up several years later and I STILL find seedlings once in a while. It is horribly invasive - the negative comments made by others are only too true for me also. Your neighbors will be thankful if you choose an alternative!

Positive Shellsfarm On May 30, 2011, Shellsfarm from Grass Valley, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

This tree does grow in the Sierra foothills. Best to plant it so you can see the blooms from up above. Have not had a problem with suckers or sprouting seeds. We have three trees on our ten acres, two not irrigated, one that is. The irrigated tree has grown five times faster than the other two.

Positive vanislandgirl On May 30, 2011, vanislandgirl from Ladysmith, BC wrote:

I live here in Ladysmith on Vancouver Island. And the trees do fairly well here. A sudden heavy wet snow fall killed one last winter. It was in full leaf and the snow did a lot of damage. But have since been given another to replace it. Have another in my front garden. They are fairly easy to keep pruned back. Just love the flowers and the beautiful look of the leaves and branches.

Positive Papiciri On May 30, 2011, Papiciri from Meco 28880
Spain wrote:

Somewhere I have read that the epithet julibrissin is a corruption of the Persian Gul-i Abrisham, where Gul-i means flower and Abrisham, silk.

Positive machaut On May 30, 2011, machaut from Natick, MA wrote:

When we moved into our house 25 years ago there was a small mimosa in the yard. It was early July, and the tree was gorgeous, filling our house with its perfume.

We live in Zone 5 and were surprised to see it, but there's another one a few blocks away (of impressive size) so they clearly can make it in our climate.

The bark is susceptible to injury and sections of the tree periodically rot and fall away. At least once a hurricane has toppled it. But new shoots always come back to replace it and within a few years we again have a tree. It doesn't mind being pruned (even drastically) when it begins to shade out the perennials and vegetable garden near it.

Yes, it's messy, but nothing a rake can't take care of. Yes, it reseeds, but most of the seedlings get mowed down with the grass, and the ones that show up in the garden beds are easy to pull. Occasionally we pot one up for a friend, and we have allowed one to grow at the front of the house as well, where neighbors can enjoy its elegant flowers and scent.

Looking down into it from an upstairs window, having the rooms filled with perfume on the early morning breeze... definitely worth the small trouble of taking care of it.

Positive paulette33 On May 28, 2011, paulette33 from Washington, DC wrote:

This tree was always a favorite when I was growing up in New Jersey and it was easily one of the most visible trees in our area and along the southern beach areas. I saw Cape May, NJ mentioned and it is easily found in the areas from Cape May north to Avalon and Long Beach Island. The scent is intoxicating at night and seems a perfect match for beach/coastal areas. When I lived in Hong Kong I discovered that they have a very similar silk tree but with red fuzzy flowers and it's smaller than the pink flowering variety I grew up with.

Now that I live in Washington, DC I never see them although someone who lives about one mile away from me in Maryland has a beautiful mimosa growing in their front yard with the canopy gracefully arching over the walkway to the front door. When it's in bloom it's a beautiful living umbrella of pink and green.

When I saw this tree in bloom I was simply filled with joy to find a childhood friend thriving in my neighborhood and made a wish to have one too.

Well unknown to me that was quite difficult. None of the garden centers in my area sell it because it's considered a "weed" here. I don't bother getting into discussions with people about "weed" and "non-weed" status. It's a matter of opinion. I find that people who accept nature and go with the flow love the mimosa but those who like to control and keep very precise yards and well planned gardens tend not to like the mimosa, or if they do like it want to appreciate it in someone else's yard.

People in the DC area don't seem to mind oaks, maples and gingkos - which in my experience make their own messes and create challenges to one's yard and garden too.

The scent of the mimosa is rivaled only by perhaps lilac (as far as flowering trees go) and the graceful structure of the tree is simply lovely to look at and take in (and yes you can eat the flowers and use in salads, punches and cocktails). The tree has a peaceful happy friendly vibe and is a welcomed addition to any yard, imho. People will repeatedly comment on its beauty and the flowers' scent.

Yes it can be messy but that's the price of beauty. After making my wish last summer, I suddenly discovered 5 growing in our flower beds and 1 (unfortunately) right next to the side of our house. I have potted and given away 3, replanted 1 and will tackle the one growing next to our house tomorrow. I truly hope that I can remove it without damaging its roots because I would love to transplant this one as well.

My husband and I have lived in this house for two years and never before found mimosas growing wild in our yard until this year. None of our neighbors within 1 to 3 blocks have this tree. And I can find none in the park near our home. As I mentioned earlier, someone in the nothern end of my neighborhood has one and that is the only one I have seen in my area until last week when I found our saplings.

Birds and animals can of course spread seeds from many miles away - which is fine with me. I wished for a mimosa and got one five fold. This tree grows along I95 wild from Baltimore north to just outside NYC. I don't recall ever seeing it once getting into NYC or Connecticut but was delighted to hear that someone on this forum grew up in the Bronx and a lovely mimosa brightened their view.

I would like it if everyone could and would love this magical tree but if some cannot that's okay. Perhaps over time it will win over new generations with its charm, grace and medicinal value.

Neutral CrispyCritter On May 9, 2011, CrispyCritter from Clayton, GA wrote:

I marked my comment as neutral as I can see the pros and cons of this tree.
This is really the one plant I can remember from early childhood. Long before I developed an interest in gardening or plants, I was fascinated with this strange other worldly looking tree. The fern like leaves and strange hairy pink flowers always caught my attention.
As an adult, am into "tropicalesque" gardening and landscaping now and have some of these Mimosas as focal points amongst the cannas, cold hardy bananas, palms, flowers I have in my yard. They are a perfect complement to this type of landscape.

On the OTHER HAND though, there is no doubt that this plant can be quite invasive if unchecked. I lived on a large old farm in the same area here in the North Georgia mountains and there were hundreds of mimosas. The friend that owned the property hated them and would ruthlessly attack, chop down, and burn as many as he could each year. He never made a dent in the population.
Some of them could grow 6 feet in one summer.
The wood is brittle and there were numerous trees with cracked trunks and mold problems on this farm..

I plan to keep close attention on the 3 or so medium to large mimosas I have on my own property and keeping them managed so that they don't get out of hand like on my friend's property.

Positive hnrsmith4 On May 5, 2011, hnrsmith4 from Chicago, IL wrote:

Silk trees are the ultimate option to give beauty and charm to your office or home setting. The prime advantage of silk trees is they don't need any good care, watering, or trimming, and give a re-energizing green touch to your rooms without drawing insects and other pests. Silk trees are now available in a selection of colors and shapes.

Negative mimosa12 On Mar 30, 2011, mimosa12 from East Providence, RI wrote:

first lightning hit it so it grew double trunks, then ants ate it causing one half to fall on my house I .had it removed and stump grinded and I am still pulling on little trees every summer a.nd probably will still be at age 80 or when hell freezes over. The seeds were so light they now have the trees on the next two streets over and I even saw one growing out of a sewer drain. They also liked to grow close to my fondation wall caus
ing damage to the skimmed wall and I had to repair it. Yes they are pretty but I prefer to look at them from a distance

Positive sleeknight On Nov 1, 2010, sleeknight from San Antonio, TX wrote:

I recently moved to San Antonio Texas and wanted one of these trees since I had several in Houston. I had a lot of trouble finding one but finally found one left in a nursery here. The poor thing was half out of its pot and very dry but the nursery assured me they would refund my money if it did not grow. I bought it in April of this year. Well its now November and it has done beautifully. Its kinda dry here and have to water a lot, but it is doing great. I am a little worried if it will make it through the winter. I plan to mulch it and cover it if it really freezes here. The leaves are now dropping, but according to comments, this is natural for this time of year. Hope it makes it through winter as I am looking forward to a bloom next summer.

Positive kfactor43 On Sep 2, 2010, kfactor43 from Hillsboro, NH (Zone 5a) wrote:

Soon after buying her first home in Wolcott, CT, in 1965, my mother received a small Mimosa tree from a relative. In consideration of our higher elevation and comparatively harsh winters at the time, she planted the young tree in a sheltered ell of the house with southeastern exposure. The Mimosa eventually grew into a beautiful specimen of a tree. Some of my fondest childhood memories are of summer days spent playing in the backyard beneath its sprawling canopy, as warm breezes filled the air with the peachy aroma of its blooms.

Three years ago, Mom brought me a tiny Mimosa - about the size of my index finger - that had self seeded from its still thriving parent into one of her potted plants. That little progeny - now 5' tall and 8' wide - is in a large pot on my south facing deck, and is blooming this year for the very first time. Ironically, my tree would originate from the last crop of seeds that the Wolcott tree would produce. It died the following year, after a 40+ year lifespan.

My Mimosa will probably spend its entire life in a pot - indoors from October thru April - as I have my doubts that it would survive a New Hampshire winter if planted outside. It has proven to be quite a spectacle on my deck. The Mimosa is such an anomaly in this area that everyone who sees it is fascinated by it.

Positive deadnateray On Aug 31, 2010, deadnateray from Seymour, IN (Zone 5b) wrote:

i grew up with a mimosa in my dads front yard in butlerville indiana and yes there were baby trees but as long as you mowed they werent a problem , i found a whole fence row of babies the other day and brought one home , right now doesnt look so good but hopefully it will comeback . i love the beautiful flowers and the way they smell mmmmmmm.......

Positive Marcyphish On Aug 27, 2010, Marcyphish from Golden Valley
United States wrote:

As a desert tree you can't ask for much more. Due to lack of moisture and nutrition in the ground the Mimosa stays where you put it. But she is tuff enough to grow in alkaline soils and adds beautiful color all summer long.

Neutral drdeadlift On Aug 24, 2010, drdeadlift from Scotts Valley, CA wrote:

I love the flowers even though it is a messy tree. It does not spread much here in Scotts Valley Ca as it is too dry, but it is invasive in my nursery which stays moist, and also develops root suckers.

Positive Mulebone1 On Aug 23, 2010, Mulebone1 from Garwood, TX wrote:

We discovered quite by accident how to keep the mimosa flowers from making a mess. After buying a peacock and peahen, we were surprised to see them eat every flower that the tree drops. They never ate flowers that were still on the tree, though. The only thing they seemed to like better were the tent caterpillars which were (badly) infesting our pecan trees. It didn't take long before the ground under the large mimosa was completely cleaned up and our pecan trees were caterpillar free! This was about 25 years ago when we lived in central Louisiana.

Positive sseiber6 On Aug 23, 2010, sseiber6 from West End, NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

When I lived in Dunnellon, FL, I had this beautiful tree growing next to an out building in my back yard. It was georgeous, and I loved it. I had no problem with the reseeding, as my husband simply mowed under and around the tree. I never even had any volunteers either. It never broke off, and had a thick trunk. It also was very near a fig tree I had growing. It was a mature tree, when I moved there, and 12 yrs later when I moved, it was still beautiful. I since have moved to NC and miss this tree so much. I will plant another one in my back yard as soon as I can find one here. I am amazed that so many people hate this tree!

Positive annhelen On Aug 23, 2010, annhelen from Townsend, GA wrote:

There is something magical about this tree. I had a treehouse (a platform, really) in one when I was a child and had many spiritual experiences there. Please never call it a scurge, nor deny it the extension of itself with its seed. I am an author and wrote one of my best short stories about my childhood entitled "Mimosa" (so called for many years in the south). The scent was so inexpressibly lovely (no pollen problem for me) and I climbed up it nearly every day (no problems with bark). Lying flat on my "floor" I would watch the gentle, delicate fronds moving in the breeze, inhale the delightful little-girl scent and love God. Please don't call it a pest.

Positive QSally On Aug 5, 2010, QSally from Scranton, PA wrote:

These beautiful trees have been growing in my home town of Cape May N.J for as long as I can remember. There is one near my mother's house that is older than 36 years old and it is still tall and gorgeous. We have NEVER considered them a pest or weed.
I have been unsuccessful in growing them from a seed here in Scranton, P.A. as well as transferring them from my mothers yard. They can not be out of the ground for it appears to be more than 2 hours at the most. Seeing as I live 3 1/2 hours away it was pretty much gone before I even got home.
I love this tree so much I am going to end up ordering one to plant. My mother in law lives near by and her neighbor has one. Everyone thinks it is beautiful.

Positive PammiePi On Jul 31, 2010, PammiePi from Green Cove Springs, FL wrote:

This is considered an invasive plant here in Florida, but I actually like this tree. I think it is beautiful, & slow enough in growth to be controlled. I found a young tree growing along side the road & transplanted it in my yard. Initially, it looked like it had died. To my surprise, the following spring, the tree re-appeared, and has since grown into a beautiful mature tree. It is one of my favorites in the yard.

While it does produce seed pods, I have not found any evidence of it appearing any where else in my yard or lower lot, which leads me to believe the seeds don't have a high germination rate (and so are not too invasive).

I'd have to give this tree a Positive vote, based on it's beauty, ease of growth, and unique qualities (leaves & flowers).

Positive EffieH On Jun 18, 2010, EffieH from Amston, CT (Zone 6b) wrote:

I grew up in Oklahoma where my Dad grew mimosas down the side of our long driveway -- I don't recall them being invasive at all, they grew slowly and eventually died after about twenty years due to the dryness of the location, but they were beautiful and smelled wonderful in the spring. I miss them here in Connecticut where you rarely see them, they are definitely NOT invasive here but once in a while you see a huge one that has become a large tree. I ordered three small ones online two years ago (probably from someone down south profiting from the invasion in their yard -- if you're having a problem, try selling them on eBay to people in places where they are hard to come by) two lived and they are each about ten feet tall already.

Positive MickeyNotD On Jun 5, 2010, MickeyNotD from Hialeah, FL wrote:

I love these trees. I read a lot of comments, both positive and negative, but no one (at least from what I've read) mentions how totally delicious the flowers smell! Aside from being a beautiful tree, they are so light and tropical looking that it makes me happy just looking at them! Did I say I love these trees?

Negative shn02al On Jun 1, 2010, shn02al from Wetumpka, AL wrote:

Don't do it! I see these trees peeking out of old forest groves every time I drive on my way to town and every year there seems to be more and more of them. It's invasive in Alabama and taking over our trees. As if kudza wasn't enough...Do not plant!!!

Positive MinxFox On May 22, 2010, MinxFox from Pensacola, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

This is a really enjoyable plant. Sure it can be somewhat invasive, but it really isn't that horrid. In our backyard we have a beautiful mimosa tree. The tree's shape reminds me of an African tree because of the umbrella-like top and the leaves have a unique shape. The tree is a favorite perch for birds, and it does provide some very wonderful cool shade. It probably is best not to have it close to a pool just because it does have many flowers that will fall all over and seed pods too, but it is not much trouble. I would warn that it can cause an alergic reaction...I once climbed the tree and found out that if you touch the bark and then accidentally rub your eyes the next day you might wake up with your eyelids sealed shut with crust, but you can use a cloth to help get the crust off. We are in zone 8 and our tree doesn't seem to have little babies popping up everywere. The flowers smell great and look very pretty in your hair or in an arangement.

Negative milletre On Mar 23, 2010, milletre from Sacramento, CA wrote:

Can occasionally be pruned and guided into a beautiful tree, but it's really messy and insanely invasive where I live (Sacramento). Do not want.

Neutral bed24 On Jan 13, 2010, bed24 from Denver, CO (Zone 5b) wrote:

I moved to Denver from Atlanta (where these trees are everywhere) and was absolutely shocked to find an established mimosa growing near downtown. I think it's potentially good choice for Denver because as a native to south/central Asia it's very drought tolerant but probably marginally cold hardy and unlikely to be invasive.

Positive DMgardener On Dec 31, 2009, DMgardener from (Daniel) Mount Orab, OH (Zone 6b) wrote:

Now, I have not grown this plant, but there are several large specimens around here, and every June, I am amazed by the puffy, yet spikey blooms. The form of the trees are a bit like gigantic bonsai, with that flat top, and bent over shape. This plant is a looker!!! A real conversation piece.

~Daniel

P.S. In the winters of '04 and '07 (two of the worst winters I have ever seen) the all Mimosas survived!

Neutral purplesun On Oct 16, 2009, purplesun from Krapets
Bulgaria (Zone 8a) wrote:

There hardly is anything to say about Silk Tree that hasn't been said before. Here, in Bulgaria, this is a much planted, if exotic-looking tree. There are adult specimens even in the capital Sofia, which is one of the cooler and colder places in Bulgaria. Elsewhere, they benefit even more from the summer heat and are happy in just about any type of soil.
Silk tree has not become a weed however and is not bothered by diseases, though it is a very short-lived lanscape element. Of course, there is the litter problem, so anyone with a pool or other high-maintenance area should think twice before planting a silk tree.
I personally have a lukewarm attitude to this tree, though when I first saw it as a child outside an airport on the Black Sea coast, I was highly impressed by it.
Reading all the negative comments, I can say that people here have had none of the weed problems with silk tree, thank god.

Positive chaselcrn On Oct 4, 2009, chaselcrn from Peoria, IL wrote:

I live in an area of the Midwest where the mimosa does not usually thrive. We planted a seedling against a tall fence in our back yard 24 years ago. It hangs over a deck around our pool. We didn't get a bloom until 3 years ago and , and the the view was spectacular for the entire summer. Again last year it produced a full blooming tree. The flowers were messy on the deck, but didn't mind the cleanup, compared to the beauty of the tree. We have silver maples all around our neighborhood, and the flowers from the mimosa doesn't compare to the mess the pods from the silver maple do, growing everywhere, including gutters. We sit on the patio and watch the hummingbirds fly from our neighbor's feeder to our tree. Last year was a slow start for it to bring forth leaves; was very worried we had lost it. This year by the end of May we had no growth on the tree. We prunned the tree hard and it had new life. Two weeks ago, we noticed 1 lone bloom on the tree. Three years ago it was 25ft, tall. We prunned it to about 15ft. this year and it was a full bush. Hopefully it will again come back. In the meantime, I have found 9 seedling trees growing in various spots and have potted them in containers and are growing them for friends who want the tree. I'm anxious for spring to see if the Mimosa will give us yet another year of its sprawling beauty.

Negative LadyAethelwyne On Sep 13, 2009, LadyAethelwyne from Harriman, TN wrote:

This is the worst tree thar I have ever dealt with! My Aunt has one next door, and every summer I am pulling out saplings from under my arbor, in my Irises, next to my house, everywhere!
The saplings grow like nothing I've seen, from a sprout to a 6 foot tree in no time, if left unchecked. Last year, I paid a friend to cut down two trees. This year, they are back and over 8 ft tall.
The flowers have left dust all over my car and seem to be ruining my paint job. I can't park anywhere else; my driveway and her backyard with the mimosa connect!
Along our rural route, there used to be nice green hillsides of native trees and a creek running alongside. Now, the creek is choked with mimosa trees and the hillsides are a dense jungle and it has to be constantly trimmed so motorists can safely travel the road.
I really hate this plant. It has taken over my garden, which I can't simply mow down but have to pull them out (and they are tought to pull out) one back breaking sprout at a time!

Positive dbpbkc On Aug 31, 2009, dbpbkc from pleasant Hill, MO wrote:

I have read the feedback on these trees and it seems that there is a love it or hate it opinon on them. I have always found them to be beautiful accents where planted but until now have never had the space to grow one. In my area these trees are found planted as a focal point in people's lawns. I believe the combination of cold winters and lawnmowers must keep them in check. I have recently moved to a rural area and started some seeds from a few pods I collected last year. The germination rate was pretty low but I did get two seeds to sprout. Keeping in mind the commentary on invasiveness, I will choose their site carefully when planting them in the ground next year. They do not get very tall here but seem to look more like large umbrella shaped shrubs so I believe this will make it easier to manage.

This feedback forum is a very useful tool and I find it to be a great way to get information from someone other than the nursery (who wants to sell you a product). I have read the complaints from others on the invasive nature of these trees. However; after moving from an in town area full of mature trees, I can tell you that most seed producing trees are a mess and can become invasive pests because of whatever form of seed they drop. ( Black walnut and mullberry being suburban nightmares.) I make this statement because if a novice gardener is reading these comments, I want them to get an idea that any tree planted comes with some negative impact on the surrounding area. You will be pulling countless seedlings from your yard (or maybe the suckering roots) of any large tree that is growing in your area. This is just part of living with trees. The only way you can reduce this chore is to not have trees in your area. Trees can offer so many positive benefits but unfortunately they also come with some negative points. It is part of living with them and in my opinion the bonuses outweigh the negatives.

Positive kitawhit On Aug 26, 2009, kitawhit from Houston, TX wrote:

I find it so funny how many people are against this tree. Instead of complaining,they COULD be utilizing the tree as long as it is there. You can EAT the flowers as a vegetable, and you can even use it in place of an antidepressant according to Chinese herbology. also check out it's other medicinal qualities. or maybe ask a Chinese herbal doctor.
If you have too many weeds, consider selling those little weedlings. It may be a pest for You, but it's not a pest for everyone. It doesn't spread like wildfire EVERYWHERE (even though i live in Texas,i rarely have a seedling from it). For many in other places , it is a treasured plant, and those who don't like it, can share their bounty with those who have trouble coming by it. If it acts like a weed for them, they COULD mulch more like any other weed. As for taking over native plants, I do regret that, but the world is changing. I look at my city and all the plants used in people's yards and used most often in landscaping and very rarely do I see a "native plant". Over time, new native plants will develop,i guess. The Earth is constantly changing (us bringing in the most change) and we can adapt with it. In the meantime, see what wonders this plant can do medicinally speaking unlike many of those others most often used in landscaping. It's a blessing in disguise to people to this hectic harsh world we've created. Please don't judge this plant until you know the benefits and please be flexible with this changing world.

Negative GreenerBlues On Aug 11, 2009, GreenerBlues from Cary, NC wrote:

Every time I see one of these "trees" in my neighborhoods I cringe. My experience with the mimosa has been awful, and I could take any one of the other negative reviews and copy it word for word because these people know what they're talking about, and I have lived it. The sticky sappy flowers, the thousands of seed pods, the prolific and dormant seedlings, the weekends lost to yardwork, the mess - all true. I once trimmed a branch hanging over into my yard and was subdued by an allergic reaction for two days afterwards. That branch came back, growing eight(!) feet in a year. The pink flowers are staining my deck and the seed pods are littering my vegetables. I cannot stress the negative aspects of this plant enough, yet I believe the worst part about it is that people can't see it's really a weed and let it grow anywhere. Please PLEASE do not purchase, sell or cultivate (actively or passively) and get rids of any small ones that you can. You may not even be able to chop it down, or spray Round-Up on it, or pull them up without them coming back they are that bad.

Negative MrsBerger07 On Jul 31, 2009, MrsBerger07 from Rockmart, GA wrote:

I had never seen a Mimosa until I moved to the Georgia. At first I loved them with all of their Beautiful flowers, they seemed to glow. Now, we live in a more rural area, and they are Everywhere! They have taken over!! My husband and I spend hours upon hours every year pulling up seedlings from everywhere imaginable! They are very messy trees to boot, and the flowers stick to everything! They grow in areas even moss won't grow under our 19, 30yr old Water Oak trees! I highly discourage any use of Mimosa in landscaping, especially in the South where it is such a menace that pushes out the native species.

Negative plortho On Jun 30, 2009, plortho from Greensboro, NC wrote:

it all sounds like hyperbole 'til you've had to deal with mimosas:
"A POX, A SCOURGE..."

my neighbor's 35ft tree propogated evil seedlings everywhere...
hard to pull, hard to kill, choke out native species, a bloody nuisance.

planting and selling are IRRESPONSIBLE, INCONSIDERATE acts, point blank. why make things worse for others?
Please find a friendlier alternative. And, if you like the way they look:

read a Dr. SEUSS book instead! - i'm glad i did!

Negative texzilla On Jun 28, 2009, texzilla from Mansfield, TX wrote:

This is an invasive, destructive, invasive pest of a plant. It is a noxious weed masquerading as a tree. It destroys habitat, native plants, and physical structures. Show some responsibility and refuse to plant them; if you own them eradicate them.

These trees gained popularity for their rapid growth after WWII. An awful mistake that many communinities in Texas and the South are now paying for.

Why do nurseries sell them? The same reason restaurants still sell Chilean Sea Bass; fools with no sense of community responsibility will buy them because "they smell good" or they provide someone's sorry life with a bit of nostalgia. The South has enough invasive pests like kudzu, fireants, and walking catfish without folks willfuilly planting them.

My house adjoins a home that the former owner had a large planting of mimosa. They were so big they had grown entwined around a metal fence and pushed it out of the ground. The shoots have spread to the greebelt behind my home and I spend more gardening time killing mimosa shoots than doing something productive. A shoot in the other neighbors yard got away from him and killed a nice live oak. the result has been thousands of dollars spent to eradicate, mitigate, or prevent damage from this pest.

Do the world a favor and refuse to plant this pest.

Negative HerringtonHills On Jun 28, 2009, HerringtonHills from Coden, AL (Zone 8b) wrote:

As a young child... I loved this tree. The "pink fuzz" was so pretty. I also loved touching the leaves and watching them "fold" away.
However as a adult with my own garden, fence-lines and yard to tend to... I HATE this tree. It grows everywhere! Under things, over things, around things. Seedlings... hundreds of them pop up around the bases of my sago palms and day lilies.
I was honestly shocked to see that people actually "wanted" these trees. If your ever in the Mobile, Alabama area... come over to my house... you can take as many as your truck can haul away!

Positive pinkb31 On May 20, 2009, pinkb31 from Baytown, TX wrote:

I love my mimosa. Grows best in full sun. I never tend to it.
(TEXAS) It gives perfect shade for my front yard which is only about 105ft in length.
my family enjoys the smell and the insects,hummingbirds that are attracted to the flowers. The birds like perching.(i put a bird bath under it)
I mow my yard so i don't have any trouble with the seedlings that sprout up. I use organic fertilizer for the grass once a year which makes the flowers a darker pink.
The only thing i don't like is that it is not an evergreen.
If you are hesitant to grow any plant/tree,look for someone who is growing it or for online pictures that may give you an idea if it's right 4 your yard.

Neutral Angel_D On Feb 17, 2009, Angel_D from Quincy, IL (Zone 5b) wrote:

This plant grows in my area (Midwest) and I also remember it growing in Hawaii, where I lived for ten years. I was on the board of directors for my condominium association there, and we had to have a couple of mimosa trees in a parking area cut down because of the leaves. They are so tiny that they easily slip through the "grill" area on the top of the car's hood (just below the windshield). As noted by a previous reviewer, the flowers are sticky and difficult to clean up after if they get on a car. This is certainly a beautiful tree, but it needs to be kept away from cars, or any other artificial surface, really, because of the effort required in clean up.

I can't speak to how invasive they are here. I see several around town when they are blooming, but I haven't noticed them in rural areas (zone 5).

Positive nydia On Sep 8, 2008, nydia from Kissimmee, FL wrote:

I used to live in New York (Bronx) we lived in a story house and we had this tree in our yard and it was a pleasure to look out my window and see this beautiful tree in full bloom . Better than looking at a five story apartment building.

Positive max2penny3 On Aug 17, 2008, max2penny3 from Mount Pleasant, PA wrote:

I planted seeds from my mimosa tree that I had collected from another tree prior to moving. It has been about 2 years & growing well, but no blooms. I love this tree & the blooms are so pretty.

Positive Ariellah On Aug 15, 2008, Ariellah from Sneedville, TN wrote:

This plant may be invasive but it has so much to offer mankind, so it must be preserved. Most planst that are invasive are usually valuable medically and the mimosa is no exception.

For over thousands of years the bark of the Mimosa has been used to treat lesions of the skin. For hikers hurt and bleeding this is a benefit to have growing nearby. Mimosa root bark contains 16% tannins, which act as an astringent, making the skin stop bleeding. This helps protect the body from infection, while the skin's cells repairs DNA and builds new protective tissue.

In 1984, 5000 burn victims were helped with powdered Mimosa bark because the bark in this form is also a pain killer for many hours.

Its also a natural dewormer for woodland creatures. I won't let this beautiful tree grow in my browse areas because the green leaves can and has caused deformities in goat/sheep kids if too much is eaten by a pregnant doe however I do cut down some small branches and let each of my girls take a few nibbles each month because it also will deworm my goats naturally.

On the ecological/symbiotic side;
A species of beetle; oncideres, finds exclusively a mimosa tree, which she finds and climbs, lay her eggs,which she does by crawling out on a limb,cutting a longitudinal slit with her mandible and deposits her eggs. Now beetle larvae cannot survive in living wood, so she backs up about a foot and for about 8 hours cuts a neat circular girdle all around the limb, through the bark and down into the cambium then she leaves. The limb dies from the girdling, falls to the ground with the next wind storm and the larvae feed and grow into the next generation.

Left to themselves, an unpruned mimosa tree has a life span of twenty-five to thirty years. Pruned each year, which is what the beetles girdling labor accomplishes, the tree can flourish for a century. The mimosa/beetle relationship is an elegant example of symbiotic partnership.

Negative tesaje On Aug 4, 2008, tesaje from Jefferson, MD (Zone 6b) wrote:

I hate this tree. It grows faster than anything, plants itself everywhere and it stinks when you break it. It is hard to pull even when young. This tree is an ecological disaster.

Positive gaylaintucson On Jul 5, 2008, gaylaintucson from Tucson, AZ wrote:

I have not found one person here in Tucson that hates this tree. Its simply outstanding! I had mine in a big pot for the first 3 years and then planted it beside my pond when I moved. It does make for some clean up in the pond, but the wonderful shade it brings makes it worth it. The humming birds love it! I found it to be slow growing and I never have had it reproduce from seed, sadly. I wish I had ten.

Positive catherindagr8 On Jul 5, 2008, catherindagr8 from Roanoke, VA wrote:

Invasive? I find the massive Oak trees in the yard of our rental home more invasive than the pretty Mimosas. The Mimosa is lovely and resembles a fern to me. I haven't noticed any unwanted seedlings coming up the way others are saying they will.... I can't get rid of all the darn acorns that are sprouting in my yard, flower beds, herb garden.

I also have sweet pea that just showed up after three years at this residence. talk about invasive and difficult to kill...it is all over the yard not to mention taking over one of my flower/ tree gardens...

Neutral rgsurrett On Jun 15, 2008, rgsurrett from Raleigh, NC wrote:

My mother lives in an older part of Raleigh NC and I take care of her yard. I have planted lots of Azaleahs and Gardenias in her yard, a few rose bushes with no luck, then suddenly from nowhere a Mimosa starts growing right at the edge of the front porch beside the house, almost looks as it if is coming from under the house. It has grown so fast this year that is is growing over into the dogwood planted in the front yard.

My mother loves the tree, as do I, but are unsure of what to do (cut it down or just prune it), any suggestions. I also just noticed another one growing in front of the house inside of an azalea, small one about 2 feet tall.

This is the first one I've seen in this neighborhood. On another note, her backyard has bamboo growing like wildfire, but that is another story.

Positive secretariat73 On May 19, 2008, secretariat73 from Las Vegas, NV wrote:

The mimosa was one of the first plants placed in our southern exposure yard over 10 years ago, and it remains a solid favorite for both me and my husband. Over the years, it has gradually developed into a 15-20 foot tree with a beautiful canopy. It has flourished in alkaline clay soil with average water (by desert standards) and provides much desired filtered shade for neighboring plants. The mimosa responds well to fertilizer but does not seem to require it, so most years, it goes without. The branches have withstood 65mph wind gusts, and we've never had problems with fallen limbs. It handles temperatures that range from 5F to nearly 120F and takes full desert sun without any protest whatsoever. This plant has developed an incredible root system! Volunteer seedlings have never been an issue because the garden is heavily mulched. So, seeds never have a chance to take hold. The tree does generate a good amount of litter, but it is a small price to pay for such a tough and beautiful specimen plant!

Positive Puffy1 On May 14, 2008, Puffy1 from Qualicum Beach, BC (Zone 8a) wrote:

I live on Vancouver Island and just got this tree as a house warming gift. Hope it does well here and isn't "marginal" or invasive either for that matter. Will keep it away from the driveway just in case!

Positive babyqsmama On Apr 19, 2008, babyqsmama from Hico, TX wrote:

I love my Mimosa tree! MY grandmother had 2 when I was little and I loved the smell and flowers. We played under it and climbed it all the time. Now I have my own home and have one growing. I am having trouble getting a true tree. Mine looks more like a bush. So many little spouts came up at the same time in the same area that there are many little trunks coming up.

Neutral leighgalv On Apr 17, 2008, leighgalv from Galveston, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Read alot of the posts - you either love it or hate it....and yes I can attest to it becoming an invasive plant. In th spring, the dogwood, redbud and azalea blooming wild along the roads in East Texas area near Woodville. And right up there with all that beauty in the summer, the mimosa makes its wild display along the roadways, and it is beautiful too. So much so, I wanted one in our yard at the lake house. I have several coming up in the yard without myself going through all the trouble!

I have to tell the guys not to mow over my mimosa!! We'll see!

Positive snorklehead On Apr 6, 2008, snorklehead from Nokomis, FL wrote:

The trees are beautiful, fast growing, and give a lot of shade. I grew up with one next to the driveway, here in Florida. The lawn mower takes care of seedlings with no problem. It's really cool how the leaves fold up at night and reopen in the morning. Sure, a few of the flowers will turn brown on your driveway, but you can always hose them off. I'm planning to plant a couple in the back yard. I won't live long enough to go the live oak route.

Positive 1cros3nails4gvn On Mar 25, 2008, 1cros3nails4gvn from Bluffton, SC (Zone 9a) wrote:

this tree is the tree that first sparked my interest in plants and got me growing all these different kinds of plants that i am today

Neutral crimsontsavo On Mar 8, 2008, crimsontsavo from Crossville, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

Perhaps if a person wants this plant so badly, they can place it in a large pot and remove the seeds before they spread.
Would work great on an outdoor patio. ;-)

Negative steve16 On Feb 26, 2008, steve16 from Sacramento, CA wrote:

Our neighbor has a mimosa that overhangs the fence. Mounds of pink fuzz all over our parsley and basil and tangled in the pepper plants, seedlings popping up everywhere. This past summer I laid a ransom bluestone patio around our small exercise pool. I was despairing of being able to get the mossy thyme started quickly enough to fill in between the stones before trying to sweep, hose and vacuum off the next years avalanche of sticky pink fluff, when our neighbor told us she finally convinced her husband to take it out so she can have a garden in the area now underneath it. We promptly volunteered to share the cost, and she offered us the wood for our fireplace.

Positive sasha10 On Feb 25, 2008, sasha10 from Valsolda
Italy (Zone 9b) wrote:

This is a beautiful tree. It is the most exotic plant here in zone7b. It is very popular. It spreads and has pink and white flowers all summer.

Negative parkersford On Feb 23, 2008, parkersford from Salem, MO wrote:

Too invasive. If attracting butterflies is your objective, you would be better off planting a couple of butterfly bushes (buddleia) or some milkweed. Even though my two ten year old mimosa trees have never flowered, they somehow still manage to produce tons of seedlings all over the yard.

Negative jqpublic On Jan 31, 2008, jqpublic from Cary, NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

This plant has taken over our roadsides and the edges of natural areas. I hate this tree! It also sprouts all over my yard!

Neutral FG On Jan 7, 2008, FG from Redlands, CA wrote:

Yes they are messy, but I use them as sun shades for my yard. I have 12 evenly spaced but only let them get about 12 feet tall. Makes nice filtered shade with little care here in California.

Positive Mudgunner On Jan 7, 2008, Mudgunner from Victoria, BC (Zone 8a) wrote:

I brought home (to Canada) a seed pod of this tree which was growing like a weed in Salt Lake City. I started several plants from the seeds, and gave away all but one which I have in a large (5-gal.) pot. After about 10 years of protection from the winter, which may not have been necessary, it was accidentally subjected to a freeze while I was away from home. It survived, but bore no flowers this year. I'm crossing my fingers for next year.

Messy at times as I grow it on a balcony, but I seem to have the only survivor of my original batch of seeds.

Negative escambiaguy On Sep 21, 2007, escambiaguy from Atmore, AL (Zone 8b) wrote:

These trees are a total weed in the southeast. Every time I see the flowers, I think of the backache involved in pulling the seedlings. They do look out of place growing next to our native trees and I think they look trashy.

On a recent vacation to the Smokey Mountains, I was amazed to see mimosas growing there too. That's one place I thought I could go and not have to see this weed!

Negative goldie50 On Sep 16, 2007, goldie50 from Augusta, GA wrote:

This plant is very invasive. I started a veggie garden and a wildflower garden this summer. I spent the last month pulling up baby mimosa coming up everywhere. It has taken over our backyard and my husband just mows over with the mower. I want to get rid of this nuisance.

Negative lissyrae On Sep 6, 2007, lissyrae from Old Hickory, TN wrote:

People, PLEASE STOP planting these things! Yes, they are pretty, but they are also destroying our already threatened southern forrests! This is not hyperbole - drive down any southern highway or through the Smokies or the Blueridge Mountains, and you will see them everywhere along the roadsides. They are one of several exotic species slowly outcompeting our native trees and shrubs. Are you REALLY so selfish you're willing to endanger our native fauna and flora over some LANDSCAPING? Please stop and consider the consequences. There are lots of beautiful native and exotic but non-invasive alternatives. :)

Positive broncbuster On Aug 17, 2007, broncbuster from Waxahachie, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Wow! I never new this beautiful tree could spark such bitterness! I can't imagine how such a small thin-leaved tree could be so invasive! I've got a whole lot of hackberry trees on my place and I'd love to replace them with these. I had these in the yard as a kid and always loved the way that they sprawled out. I could climb up in them and sit on the branches and was able to jump to the ground. I remember a few saplings would come up each year but they were easily removed. We planted sunloving plants under them and they did great! And the blooms are gorgeous. To each his own, I guess.

Negative Bootheel On Jul 1, 2007, Bootheel from New Madrid, MO wrote:

Although I agree they are pretty, they compete too well with native species on forest edges and can become so dense that they will crowd out other plants. They can take over a stream bank in just a few years. Plant one and you will leave a legacy of sprouts for up to 50 years, that is how long the seeds can remain dormant before coming up in you favorite bed, where you will find it fast growing and nearly impossible to pull and a pain to dig. The only kind thing I can think of is that as a child I found it easy to carve initials and hearts in the trunk. This is one that would have been better left in Asia.

Neutral krdixon On May 27, 2007, krdixon from Albuquerque, NM (Zone 7a) wrote:

FYI the very first Albizia julibrissin planted in the US is located at 1320 Weller Way (north of Land Park) in Sacramento, CA . It was brought into the States by a nurseryman and selections were made by him for distribution in the various areas of the US. We purchased the home in the very early 50 and had to sign a contract that we would maintain the tree in good health. I believe that this covenent is still part of the title deed.

Positive joegee On May 10, 2007, joegee from Bucyrus, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

Grows well for me in 5b/6a north Central Ohio. It easily endured a horribly warm winter followed by -8F and a blizzard. I know that keeping this tree will take work. I know I will need to be responsible with it, but I remember the incredible, subtle fragrance that permeated the air in South Carolina.

I want that in my back yard.

On a side note, I tried smaller seedlings a few years ago and all were killed by the winter cold, so I'm suspecting that up here this tree will be fairly well behaved.

Positive tropicsofohio On Apr 25, 2007, tropicsofohio from Hilliard, OH (Zone 6b) wrote:

I love the tropical look of it in the summer. Exotic flowers cover the tree; it grows fast but not too weedy here.

Positive marcia9 On Apr 18, 2007, marcia9 from Kearneysville, WV wrote:

I grow these in my yard in Kearnesyville, West Virginia.

They grow in all parts of West Virginia; we just love ours and I name them with their own personal names as they ae so much a part of our family. They bring us shade and are a comfort to look at. Marcialynn

Positive pinkypetunia On Apr 10, 2007, pinkypetunia from Poplarville, MS (Zone 8b) wrote:

The mimosa grows wild here in south Mississippi and I truly believe we are blessed because of it. As a girl growing up here, I have so many wonderful memories of climbing a huge old mimosa in our back yard where I could sit undetected for hours and think, read or just watch the cars go by. Such a pleasant, shady place on a HOT summer day. Everyone had one or two in their yards and the absolute best thing to me about mimosas is the smell of the flowers,it is divine, like angels breath. My sons have grown up knowing how much mama loves mimosa and every year I can't wait till they bloom,when we first see a bloom, no matter where weare, my son will stop the car and go pick me mimosa blossoms,ah heavenly scent, I now have 5 yr. old tripplett grand daughters and they will know all about mimosas this summer!

Neutral babynuts43 On Apr 6, 2007, babynuts43 from Fort Worth, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

I have loved these trees for as long as I can remember and when I finally bought my own house, I transplanted one from my folks' place in North Carolina. Man was I excited! However, while the tree has really grown fast, it has yet to bloom in the four years it has been growing. The other thing I have noted is that it loses almost all of it's "leaves" before the summer is over. I must admit the whole tree thing is new to me so maybe I am just being impatient. I cannot find any information on this particular problem so I guess I will continue to wait...but if nothing happens in the next couple of years, I think I will just have to replace it with some other kind of tree.

Positive cabrlamo On Mar 16, 2007, cabrlamo from Alexandria, IN (Zone 5a) wrote:

I had never seen/heard of this plant until I lived overseas in Japan. While there I thought it was an interesting tree with unique blooms and a nice smell. I haven't seen anyone else comment on the smell of the blooms. Maybe I am silly, but I will always associate this tree with the smell of the flowers and dusky sunsets. After three years in Japan we moved back to Indiana. (Of course we forgot about this tree.) And then lo and behold we buy a house in a small town and down the street a neighbor has one in her front yard! It is a fairly large tree, so I assume it has been there for some time. And I have yet to see many limbs or branches down to indicate that it is weak wooded. I was surprised when I saw this was rated for zone 6a. We are in central Indiana and are zone 5. It is a gorgeous tree and very distinctive in our neigbor's yard. I love to walk the dog down the street and smell the blooms. It makes me think of my years overseas (sniff) and more tropical climates.

Positive Delmobile On Feb 22, 2007, Delmobile from Mobile, AL wrote:

Just wanted to add, my grandmother, who was born in New Orleans in 1901, told me when she was little she and her sisters would make necklaces using mimosa seeds and cantaloupe seeds that they dyed different colors using dyes they made, mulberries and things like that. Their big day was when they sold a necklace to their teacher for a quarter. Now I love mimosa trees for this story, as well as their beauty.

Positive stillwaterok On Jan 21, 2007, stillwaterok from Stillwater, OK wrote:

Great site you have here! In regards to the Mimosa Tree, I am a Stillwater, Oklahoma native. And I grew up climbing and even building a tree house in the beautiful large Mimosa Tree (with pink flowers) that adorned our frontyard.

So, include Stillwater, OK in your list of locations. By the way, I give it a 90% Positive. And a 10% Negative, because it can be a nuisance when the seeds fall and one starts to grow next to the foundation of your home. Hacking it off doesn't kill it. It will still grow back. Very hardy! Thanks for Your time! ~Mike Duckwall~

Neutral frostweed On Dec 19, 2006, frostweed from Josephine, Arlington, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Silk Tree, Mimosa Tree, Pink Siris Albizia julibrissin is naturalized in Texas and other States and is considered an invasive plant in Texas.

Negative lobcard On Dec 8, 2006, lobcard from Newport News, VA (Zone 7b) wrote:

I was shocked to see Mimosa on a top ten plant list when it should be on the THUG list! Yes, the flowers are interesting, but the seeds spread this plant like crazy and it displaces native species. I did research that involved plants and hummingbirds, and the birds do tend to ignore pollinating native species when the mimosa is in flower - and that makes it harder for our beautiful natives to reproduce. It is considered invasive in mountain, piedmont and coastal regions of Virginia according to our Division of Natural Heritage, yet nurseries are still allowed to sell it (I'll never get that!).

Negative blossombloom On Dec 2, 2006, blossombloom from Griffin, GA wrote:

Some people love this "tree" while others cant stand it. For me I called this so called tree a weed! To me it serves no purpose. Its VERY invasive and hard to get rid of. I just go over the lawn more with it now but will eventually have to do something else.

Positive jediabish On Sep 30, 2006, jediabish from Blue Springs, MO wrote:

I grew up in NC where this tree is abundant! It has the most beautiful foliage and blossoms in the early summer. It tolerated some of our driest years and some of our harshest ice storms with no visible damage. They grow very fast and propogate very quickly. We have them here in MO but I've not seen them grow like they do further south. I plan to start mine from seeds. I do love them and think they are a great addition to any butterfly garden(as long as you keep them under control (ex. pull up the volunteers).

Negative dcamanda On Sep 5, 2006, dcamanda from Alexandria, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

I wish I could say "EXTREMELY NEGATIVE". Through my experiences with this plant, there's nothing I consider attractive about it. I spent a stint in the National Park Service where this plant was on our top 10 list of invasives to kill. Dave's Garden, PLEASE take this off this list and put it on the list of thugs! Small wonder its only competitors are Pawlomia and Japanese honeysuckle -- two other Japanese invasives! Stop it! Stop it!

As with other non-native invasives, please, help out this lovely country of ours and try to select NATIVE plants with comparably attractive properties if at all possible.

Negative AWildflowerMan On Sep 1, 2006, AWildflowerMan from Calera, AL (Zone 7b) wrote:

This tree is listed on the USDA Invasive Plants list as an invasive and noxious weed. Here in Alabama it pushes out native trees and shrubs along highways, particularly interstate highways, to the point where along some stretches it is the dominant plant. The only true competitors to this plant are other invasive plants like Paulownia tomentosa (Princess Tree), kudzu, and, in some cases, Japanese honeysuckle. Yes, it is beautiful when in bloom; however, this becomes a curse because of the prolific seed production. There are too many native plant species that are just as beautiful; they are just not "exotic."

Negative nonillion On Aug 20, 2006, nonillion from West Brookfield, MA (Zone 5b) wrote:

The invasive Mimosa (Albizzia julibrissin) should not be confused with our Texas native Fragrant Mimosa (Mimosa borealis), which is a wonderful fast-growing shrub (to 9 feet tall) and very low maintenance.

The Austin Grow Green program recommends planting a Desert WIllow (Chilopsis linearis) instead of the invasive Mimosa.

Negative Fireweed87 On Aug 14, 2006, Fireweed87 from Collingswood, NJ (Zone 6b) wrote:

Garish tree that looks out of place wherever it's planted, IMO. Invades our woodlands in New Jersey and is considered an invasive species.

Positive lemmons75 On Aug 11, 2006, lemmons75 from Rock Hill, SC wrote:

I live in an apartment in Rock Hill,S.C. and this tree grows on the creek bank behind my apartment.I think it is a wonderful tree.It atracts alot of humming birds and butterflies.When I get my house I plan to take some of the seeds to plant.

Neutral MrMac81 On Jul 21, 2006, MrMac81 from Wellford, SC (Zone 8a) wrote:

In the Piedmont of South Carolina, the Mimosa tree is extremely Invasive! On the college campus where I teach
it is growing all along the wood lines.
All along I-85 it is growing into the barrier fences along the Greenville-Spartanburg area.

Great plant for Hummingbirds and buttleflies, but a problem.

Positive tropicalaria On Jul 21, 2006, tropicalaria from Tri-Cities, WA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Beautiful specimen tree, not at all invasive here, possibly due to the lack of rainfall, low humidity, and alkali soil of Eastern Washington State. Can be difficult to start, but quite dependable once established. Rarely lasts more than 30-50 years because the brittle wood breaks in the high winds once it gets large and old. I have never seen a severely damaged tree recover here, in contrast to the comments above which indicate that it comes back from the stump in other parts of the country.

Negative renatelynne On Jul 11, 2006, renatelynne from Boerne new zone 30, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

This grows fast. BUT it is what I consider a trash tree, (it just about always has something falling from it). Little trees start just about everywhere a seed falls. The ONLY reason I would plant it is if you want something extremely fast growing that is showy and you don't mind cleaning up under it a lot.

Positive palmbob On Jun 30, 2006, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Was very interesting to read all the above opinions about this tree. I was not familiar with its invasiveness, but then that is a regional problem, mostly. Here in dry, deserty southern California, few things are as invasive as they are in the wet eastern half of the country. This plant is grown commonly here as a stately and fascinating landscape specimen- one of the few horizontal forming silohuettes you can grow here. And as for invasiveness, I have not heard of a problem here. It can show up in potted plants that get watered all the time, but rarely, if ever, does it reproduce itself, at least here somewhat inland in southern California. Sadly, it is messy, and loses its leaves in the winter.

Negative SherryLike On Jun 30, 2006, SherryLike from SE Arky
United States (Zone 8a) wrote:

In my area southeast Arkansas and all the areas around my area, MS, LA, TN, TX, and others, the Mimosa Tree is considered a messy, invasive pest. They are 'drippy' and their flowers become sticky, stinky and unsightly. I had no idea there was any use for them until I read the plant file reviews, I'm amazed they are appreciated anyplace.

Negative Sheila965 On Jun 30, 2006, Sheila965 from Rincon, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

This tree is the most invasive nuisance ever. If there is one within 50 miles, you can bet you're going to have seedlings in your yard. They sprout EVERYWHERE.

The only cute thing I did notice the other day on my neighbor's tree was that the hummingbirds enjoy it. I've got all sorts of beautiful flowers that "supposedly" hummingbirds love...they head for the Mimosa.

Positive johnjean On Jun 21, 2006, johnjean from Hamilton, OH wrote:

June 21/2006,I have growed these beautiful Mimosa tree's for years. I live in Hamilton, Ohio. It will do what you make it do. Mine are over 20 years old, they have been cut to the ground at least three times, I even tryed twisting the new shoots that came up. They were very pretty!! but the bark did not like it, so I cut them back to the ground in about three years.They are now about 7 to 10 ft. The butterfly's and Hummingbird's love them,but if you do not like the flowers or seedlings,clip them off, it does not hurt them. (well it does not hurt mine). I keep mine like an umbrella, so soom times I clip the flower buds. mine have never been invasive.

Positive croclover On Jun 19, 2006, croclover from Lake Forest, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

I live in Lake Forest, CA, and the city planted a few dozen along one of the main roads just a year or two ago and they're thriving, in bloom right now and breathtaking! I just bought my very first home, and I have always said I would plant an albizia in the front yard, so I just bought a five gallon baby! Can't wait to chop and grind out my diseased apricot tree and watch this little lovely grow! Sure, it will be a mess, but nature tends to be a bit messy, so I don't mind! It can't be any worse than pulling up the hundreds of suckers that come up from my apricot tree all over the lawn each week!

Positive arroblake9212 On Jun 7, 2006, arroblake9212 from Jasper, AL wrote:

This tree here in Jasper Alabama is a very unwanted tree..BUT i don't have them in my yard..so on that note it does not bother me!..although i have one on the side of my driveway and yes it does have seedlings everywhere..this tree is 40-50 ft tall (yes!! it is the biggest i have ever seen!)

Positive ASSISI On Jun 6, 2006, ASSISI from Riverside, RI wrote:

I live in Rhode Island and I started 4 silk trees from seed 3 years ago. They are now 3 ft. tall and I wonder when they will be ready to plant outside. This is an enjoyable plant to watch grow. They drop there branches often and readily return--only taller.

Positive casper1310 On Jun 3, 2006, casper1310 from Lula, GA (Zone 7a) wrote:

I love my Mimosa Tree!!! I live in ga. where they pop up everywhere,As a kid growing up there was one on an empty
lot beside our house and I always loved to play around and under it and the flowers oh how I loved the flowers.I called it my feather tree. It lived there for about 20 years until someone bought the land and cut it down and it never came back after that.I tried for years to pull one up and replant it but they didn't live.so about a year ago I was out back at work and found thousands on the bank and after a good rain
I managed to pull a small 1ft one up and took it home and planted it in my front yard and watered it every other day
and this year it is about 4ft tall. I don't care if they are messy,It'll just give me something to do when it flowers and they start falling off. I recommand this for anyone....

Negative Equilibrium On May 18, 2006, Equilibrium wrote:

Hideously invasive yet intoxicatingly beautiful tree. Perhaps this is why this species has become so predominant in our yards as well as in natural areas where it is appearing as it repeatedly escapes cultivation.

Neutral coldcountry On May 14, 2006, coldcountry from Redwater, AB (Zone 5a) wrote:

I am trying to grow my Mimosa indoors over the winter months but it doesn't seem to get any bigger. if it starts to grow, can it be kept indoors.

Negative ncgardenaddict On May 8, 2006, ncgardenaddict from Kannapolis, NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

I am confused why this plant is in the 'top ten' list... It is highly invasive and should be in the top ten thug list..

Neutral zzazzq On Apr 26, 2006, zzazzq from Madison, MS wrote:

Beautiful tree, carefree, kind of has that "old southern" look to it. Has local reputation for its roots getting into pipes, and spreads very aggresively by seed.....have to pull up seedlings all the time, and I don't even have one of these trees in my yard.

Negative gooley On Mar 23, 2006, gooley from Hawthorne, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

Yes, it's pretty. I'll take people's word that it attracts hummingbirds. It's officially a noxious weed in Florida, too. It's very hard to get rid of. I'm forever finding volunteer ones on my land (it loves disturbed sites such as former cropland.). I will gladly show any visitor several large fields near me, notably one along State Road 326 north of Ocala, that are covered with the blasted trees. I have sprayed small ones with Roundup, wet the leaves completely -- and it's a crapshoot whether this will kill them; sometimes it does, sometimes a new sucker comes up if the roots haven't quite been poisoned. These trees are unusual for legumes in that they don't host symbiotic nitrogen-fixing bacteria -- but somehow they seem to thrive in truly miserable soil without them. They are not as acute an ecological threat here as the Chinese tallow-tree (with its fish-poisoning leaves), but they are a lot more cold-hardy than the other big regional pest, the camphor-tree. Oh, and the Chinese wisterias are in bloom now...another invader. Lovely.

Positive thestopnshop On Feb 16, 2006, thestopnshop from Rockaway Beach, MO wrote:

I'm a native in southern Missouri and I feel very fortunate that Mimosa's grow wild here. We live in a wooded area and there is nothing more beautiful than a Mimosa amoungst the cedar tree's. Since they grow wild here, I found 3 young tree's, all around 3 feet each. I braided them and planted as 1 tree. Well it has been 4 years now and we are tickled pink when we witness people stopping in their cars to admire our natural 25 foot umbrella......especially when in bloom.

I recommend to anyone who wants to try this themselves to make sure that you have the room. This threesome will get wide as tall. But I guarantee that you will have something quite spectacular as it is beautiful :-)

Pamela Ehlers

Positive dragonvirus On Jan 1, 2006, dragonvirus from Maryville, TN wrote:

ok, so i spent time worrying about how to get rid of this plant (grows invasively) and have discovered wonderful uses for it.

1) carving/walking sticks
2) firewood.

Negative Louannie On Dec 20, 2005, Louannie wrote:

Not worth the seedlings everywhere, which are impossible to pull up pretty soon after sprouting, and only grow back seventeen (well, slight exaggeration) more sprouts if you cut them.

Treating the stub with Roundup immediately after cutting seems to work.

Please be considerate of your neighbors if you plant one of these, as your seedlings could get into their flower and shrub borders if planted too close.

Positive Kim_M On Dec 17, 2005, Kim_M from Hamburg, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

All I can say is...This is one of the most beautiful Trees I've ever seen.

Negative CastIronPlant22 On Dec 11, 2005, CastIronPlant22 from Lompoc, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

Although i do love this tree, i hate the mess, I had a large one at my other place and one of the windy days, it blew over and was a mess, it was also up -rooted from the wind. The roots seem to be too shallow. Its very pretty, but be careful when planting, stake it good and i mean good and deep. It was a shame to loose that big of tree. It was about 20 feet tall with a nice weeping canopy.

Positive ineedacupoftea On Oct 25, 2005, ineedacupoftea from Denver, CO wrote:

This is a perfect small desert-hardy tree. It's leaves close in adverse weather and can bloom all summer when happy. I met a woman who grew seedlings in pots, planted them in the spring, watched them do little during the first summer, only to see them die to the ground but send up 5-7' canes the following spring. At the end of the third year, she had mature flowering trees! She did not seem to have problems with seedlings taking over -exept where she encouraged it!

I can think of no small tree that casts a finer shimmering shade.

Positive mikekilhoffer On Sep 7, 2005, mikekilhoffer from Chatham, IL (Zone 5b) wrote:

We have a 6 year old mimosa tree in my brother's yard, one street over from my own. He bought the property with the tree already established. When I was looking at his new property, being a gardener myself, I was curious as to his deceidedly oriental, or at least tropical looking tree. I looked it up on the web and found it to be a mimosa tree. As far as I know from looking it up it should not be able to survive in a Zone 5b area. Yet this tree is 30' tall and healthy as can be. I am starting some seedlings in 10" pots to transplant next spring. The peachy aroma is wonderful, and the hummingbirds are beautiful. His tree only throws out suckers in our cooler climate in late spring... hardly invasive in this zone. There are some seedlings that try to develop, but winter will kill them with no abandon, as it does each winter. I believe my grow-light farm in the basement will keep them alive to propagate in the spring. I feel I must add that the property owners had a garden planted around the tree, including peppers and tomatos that grew like mad. I can only think that they fed off of the nitrogen from the tree, or else it was a miracle-grow fed proliferation. I have collected 200+ seeds from pods, and intend to infect my property with the sexiest of trees that can grow in Illinois next spring. His house looks very much like a Japanese garden setting with the 300 gallon guppy/koi pond overlooked by a big mature mimosa and some tropical annuals.

Positive leaflady On Aug 30, 2005, leaflady from Hughesville, MO (Zone 5a) wrote:

My husband's mother planted our old one over 50 years ago and it is still doing well. However I never had any volunteers until about 2 years ago when I got some seeds apparently in some bags of leaves we get from a nearby town each fall. Now we have little volunteers all over the place! I have allowed a few to grow and they are doing well. We do not notice any fragrance and do not find they attract hummingbirds or anything else for that matter.

We love ours. It grows out in the middle of the yard and has never frozen back or had any wind damage from the hard winds and tornadoes that so frequently hit our area. I would not rate their wood as soft for that reason.

Positive SudieGoodman On Aug 20, 2005, SudieGoodman from Broaddus, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Thanks folks for good information. I live in Zone 8b near Lake Sam Rayburn in Southeast, Texas. In Spring I enjoy fragrance as I walk along country road. One has appeared in my front yard! I'm thrilled! It's about 2 feet tall, but in a bad location.

Hope to dig up and move to better place this Fall of 2005.

Positive GFT On Aug 20, 2005, GFT from Biloxi, MS wrote:

Few people in the deep south bother to plant Mimosa for the simple fact that it so often volunteers of its own accord. The tree grows wild in subtropical areas, and it is often found in empty lots, on the side of the road, and so forth. If you want to place one in your yard, simply dig one up and transplant it--or more simply still cut off a branch, apply rooting hormones, and stick it in the ground. Very often, although not always, it will quickly establish itself.

Mimosa can grow up to forty feet but I find it more typically runs to a maximum of twenty feet. It has a comparatively small trunk and a remarkably wide branch spread. The feather-like leaves are extremely attractive and the pink flowers, which look rather like powderpuffs, are striking and have memorable perfume. The tree is also very forgiving in terms of care, requiring little more than the occasional pruning.

But like every other plant, Mimosa does have drawbacks, and it is best to know what they are before you place one in your yard. The tree tends to be brittle; branches can break in strong wind and if the higher branches become too heavy the trunk itself can split. The tree usually recovers from this, but it can affect its beauty.

The tree is also rather messy. The leaves pose no greater issue than any other tree, but the flowers are sticky--and when they drop they tend to stick where they land. If you are fussy about your walkway or driveway, you would be a fool to plant Mimosa where it will overhang them. The flowers are also notoriously hard on auto paint jobs; God forbid you should plant a Mimosa where it will overhang an unprotected car. Although the tree can spread through it's paper-like seed pods, it also spreads through it root system. This is really less of a problem than you might think: keeping the lawn reasonably well mown will solve the problem.

Lastly, Mimosa is not a long-lived tree. Although you hear of Mimosas that live twenty, thirty, even forty years, their span is more typically five to fifteen years. You are therefore likely to be faced with the necessity of cutting down a dead or dying Mimosa at some point or another--but given their brittle nature this is actually less trouble than it may sound.

Given the fact that Mimosa tends to volunteer and now and then appear where it is not wanted, a great many people tend to consider it akin to a weed. But if it is a weed, it is a remarkably beautiful one, and well worth the thought required in placement and the occasional bit of work involved.

Positive cfer317 On Jun 23, 2005, cfer317 from Hazel Park, MI (Zone 6a) wrote:

I grew up in Alabama and my Aunt had 2 of these trees. I remember the humming birds that it attracted. I now live in the Metro Detroit area,(on the north side). We brought back a couple of small mimosa's from our last trip down to AL. I didn't think they could survive here, but since then I noticed that there is one growing in Ferndale, Michigan. It is a good size tree. I watched it during the winter and it is now blooming. I can't wait for mine to get bigger! This is going to be a real treat for me, and I know that it will attract a lot of attention from those who have never seen one!

Positive RRRupert123 On Jun 8, 2005, RRRupert123 from Solon, IA wrote:

We live a valley in Iowa (zone 5a) and it seems like we aren't as cold as other places here. We have been to Arkansas and South Carolina and they have them (Albizia julibrissin trees) there. When I first saw one, I said that I had to have it, but i didn't have time to dig it up. I've heard of people having it in zone 5b.

Neutral kelleyderr On Jun 8, 2005, kelleyderr from Los Angeles, CA wrote:

We planted a baby Mimosa (24" box) last summer. It immediately dropped all of its leaves. We left it in the ground, watered it, and checked to make sure trunk was still green and it made it through the winter. We were excited this spring to see small buds, but those have browned and fallen off. Trunk (and most branches) are still green when scratched. It is a single-trunk with a high head, which I hear is unusual.

Positive shirleyt On May 20, 2005, shirleyt from Pearl River, LA wrote:

I find that the long blooming beauty of the mimosa tree far out weighs any negatives in clean up. I have three 15 year old 25ft trees that just appeared in my garden. Two of them positioned themselves to make a perfect archway into a" room" area of my garden... I have throughly enjoyed them and marvel at there long blooming time....The other tree draped itself over a less than perfect outdoor shed adding beauty to that area of my three acre garden as well...... I have much more problems with the beautiful gigantic magnolia trees. Talk about mess.... I always say "If you knew what I knew" you would enjoy this tree in someones elses yard.....To each his own. I find that messiness goes along with the gardening and if you can't handle that part of it , you won't get much enjoyment out of the gardening experience.

Positive JaxFlaGardener On May 19, 2005, JaxFlaGardener from Jacksonville, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

I am creating a mimosa grove in my hummingbird garden with trees provided to me by friends. I got about 10 of the trees last year from a friend that raises cockatiel birds. The Albizia julibrissin had sprung up near her outdoor cockatiel cages and she wanted them removed because (she says) the seeds are poisonous to her birds.

I transplanted all these trees of various sizes from 2 ft to 6 ft bare-root with no problem. This year, as leaves began to emerge, I cut off the limbs about 1/3 from the tip to encourage more branching (the trees tend to grow only one or two long, pendulous branches otherwise and may be the cause of reports above of branches snapping from too much weight). I stuck the pruned branch tips into the ground around the trees and many of the branches took root and are still growing. Our wet, humid conditions in northeastern Florida probably contributed to their survival.

I look forward to seeing an entire flowering canopy of the trees in some future year. Despite their problems with prolific spreading and flower and seed pod dropping, the wispy, tropical effect and exotic scent of the flowers seems worth the effort of controlling their bad habits.

Update on June 8, 2006

Most of the mimosas I transplanted survived. Once established, they are fast growers. The first mimosa I planted about 3 years ago is now about 20 ft high and spreads out with a canopy of about 20 ft. It is blooming profusely this year -- the first year it has really been in full bloom.

Jeremy
Negative jnana On May 18, 2005, jnana from South Florida, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

This tree should not be planted in Florida. It is considered a category 1 invasive by the Florida Exotic Pest Plant Council.

Neutral nick89 On May 7, 2005, nick89 from Tallahassee, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

Mimosas are very invasive and often overrun abandoned fields. However the flowers are attractive and the trees provide a tropical look. Their growth habit is nice with really old specimens vaguely reminiscent of live oaks with the wide spreading branches. Seems to reach its largest size on river bottomlands. Mimosa is a bad choice to plant because of its tendency to self sow prolifically and mimosa wilt which is incurable and eventually kills the tree.

Positive MisongLi On Nov 18, 2004, MisongLi from Palmdale, CA wrote:

I bought my first home in the high desert, Palmdale, California, about 50 miles north of Los Angeles. There are four Mimosa trees in my front yard which I was told are 14 years old. These are definitely high action/drama trees! They are so large, however, I have been contemplating having them pruned as they just about obstruct the view of my two-story home.

I moved in in February, the dried "seed pod" stage. It is ALWAYS windy here, 40-50 mph at times, but those pods hung on tight and provided a wonderful rustling sound I'm looking forward to hearing again soon. These trees are never just boring, bald branches even in winter (well, except for my neighbor's, whose has truly died).

The flowers of four Mimosas were gorgeous in the summer. We even had a huge swarm of bees park for two days in the largest one. The trees were wonderful for shade during temperatures up to 110 degrees, but the lawn underneath did suffer. Mimosas must not be too picky about soil: Here they are obviously thriving in sandy/red clay dirt.

There are tons of pigeons where I live, who eat the seeds. When the flowers, leaves and pods do fall I must rake every day but there are long periods where all there is to do is enjoy the Mimosa's amazing "show."

Positive keithstewart On Oct 31, 2004, keithstewart from Dry Prong, LA wrote:

I have many, many of these planted along the highway and road to my house. They are beautiful!

Last year, me n the new wife threw a shovel in the truck and dug up several more from along the roadside near here. We planted them and they too are growing nicely. I have seeds soaking now to plant this week in places I want to fill in along the hwy in front of our house.

I also planted several next door at my moma's house when I built it...we have a beautiful mimosa tree-lined road now!

They form a shady canopy along the drives and all bloom a beautiful pink thru the summer. Each of them have bird feeders and humming bird feeders hanging from them.

I collect sacks of seed pods to give my friends who also want them.

Kids love to climp mimosa trees and play with the seed pods.

Positive california On Oct 12, 2004, california from Rochester, MI wrote:

I love this tree, my parent's have one in their backyard in carmichael california, but now that I live in Rochester Hill's michigan, I would to find out if I could grow one here, maybe dave knows. California

Neutral NativePlantFan9 On Sep 13, 2004, NativePlantFan9 from Boca Raton, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

I wish this plant wasn't invasive in Florida and was native to the state because I really like the flowers of this tree. I think it looks really nice, even though it is on the EPPC Plant List One and is listed as invasive. *SIGH*

Positive vs71099 On Sep 13, 2004, vs71099 from Osage City, KS (Zone 5b) wrote:

I have three mimosas going one is in to much shade but the other two are gorgeous..... I've never noticed "baby" mimosa's and recently created a hosta bed under my largest tree. I'm hoping some "babies" will start popping up I'd love to have more.

It's unfortunate that this beautiful tree is so invasive in some areas..... maybe my zone 5 weather keeps it at bay - Lucky me..... I get the best of both that way......

Positive bisty111 On Aug 29, 2004, bisty111 from Santa Rosa, CA wrote:

I love the beauty of the this tree. My 30'+ tree is spectacular when it's blooming. The mess afterwards is spectacular as well. The flowers do stick to cars if they are not heavily waxed and they are difficult to get out of my rock garden, even with a pretty powerful blower. The flowers break up and are all over the place - tracked in the house and cars, all over the roof and jammed in the gutters. We have to sweep the roof before winter. In fact, we have to sweep 2 to 3 times a week to keep the driveway clean. Yesterday a good sized branch broke off and just missed my Miata, grazed the front but no damage. I have no trouble at all with seedlings or insects. Although this tree can be a pain, to sit in the window in the morning with my coffee and watch the hummingbirds, bees and butterflys flock to it is well worth the work!!! When it's in bloom there is nothing that can touch it for beauty. People walking and driving by always admire it. Of course, once out of earshot they probably sigh loudly and give thanks they don't have to clean up the mess. I hope mine lives beyond the average life span.....................................

Positive umpy On Aug 19, 2004, umpy from Harrison, AR wrote:

This is the most beautiful tree in the world. When I was growing up, everyone wanted one.

It has great qualities, is very exotic, easy to climb when large, beautiful flowers, lovely scent, attracts hummingbirds, butterflies and lovely little old ladies adore it.

It is the BEST. I can't even believe there is this much negativity.

My neighbors keep killing my seedlings in MY yard... I have never been able to get one past 7 feet and have grown that that high only to be cut down... in MY fenced yard.

I cry every time and have warned them. They also come over and chop the bottoms of my ivy and fox grape vines on my fence. My back fence used to be covered with these lovely vines , but they don't like them so they clip them then I have to look at dead vines all entagled in my chain link fence. Otherwise they are good neighbors... they just don't like them and think they are helping keep weedy plants back.

Neutral sugarweed On Aug 13, 2004, sugarweed from Jacksonville & Okeechobee, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

As best I can remember that is similar in description to a mesquite tree. As I have a mimosa, I can tell you the sprouts are many, but easy to pull. Incidentally, mesquite was not a preferred cooking wood, but often the only wood available to cook with.

Neutral KactusKathi On Aug 13, 2004, KactusKathi from Goodyear, AZ (Zone 9a) wrote:

I spray my yard twice a year to stop the volunteers from growing. The spray does not allow seeds to germinate! I suggest you try it in your mimosa area.

Negative marra On Aug 13, 2004, marra from Hinesville, GA wrote:

OMG!! I hate the mimosa tree... I have one in my backyard when I moved into this house about 6 months ago... man, my whole back yard is covered with them now! I guess down here in Southeast Georgia they grow rampant. Who knew?

I want to get rid of them, it seems like I have about 40 little trees growing now, and I just don't have the energy to remove them. *sigh* Did I mention I hate the Mimosa tree?

Positive Lymabean On Aug 8, 2004, Lymabean from Gloucester, VA wrote:

I live in Virginia, where the Mimosa tree is found all over. I moved and had to clear land so I needed to plant a mimosa tree.

Positive broozersnooze On Aug 4, 2004, broozersnooze from Jacksonville, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

We had one in our front yard when I was a child. I loved picking the seed pods off & pretending they were vegetables.

The blooms were so delicate & dainty, tickling my nose when I sought to enjoy their fragrance. The blossoms, to me, smell like peaches.

Positive sdtfhdghjdgyjdg On Aug 4, 2004, sdtfhdghjdgyjdg from Philadelphia, PA wrote:

I just saw this tree for the 1st time tonight & looked it up on the internet...that's how I came to this site. Just wanted to say that I saw it growing in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It is spectacular looking and 15 feet tall.

People made comments about its thin "weak" trunk. As I was surfing the net, I found another tree: Kalkora Mimosa (Albizia kalkora) which looks very similar to the Albizia julibrissin, but it has a thick trunk & oak-like rough bark. Just a suggestion for someone who would want a stronger looking tree.

Editor's Note: Information on Albizia kalkora can be found here: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/177114/
Positive mollysmom On Aug 3, 2004, mollysmom from Altoona, PA wrote:

I have a Mimosa tree in my yard, I live in central Pennsylvania, where we get pretty severe winters. I was told they don't do well in our area but I've had mine 15 years or more. I started it from a seedling I got from someone. It took several tries before I got one to take.

I'm trying to start several more, One to take the place of mine when it dies(I'm told they only last about 20years) and several to give to people who request starters. I've had many positive comments on this tree. The flowers and the fragrance. The blossoms can be a nuisance on the sidewalk. The next one I will plant a place away from sidewalks or driveways.

Positive shortcm On Jul 29, 2004, shortcm from Wilmington, DE (Zone 7b) wrote:

The only hummingbird I've ever seen in my almost 50 years was while sitting on the throne on the second floor of our three story city home. We'd inherited a beautiful Mimosa tree which grew taller than the second story, in a very narrow side yard (

Negative babyAiden On Jul 28, 2004, babyAiden from Columbia, MO wrote:

My next door neighbors have a mature Mimosa (probably 20 feet tall with a 30+ foot spread) just inside their property line. Unfortunately 3/4 of the tree leans over OUR driveway and past that to our front lawn. It has gotten to the point this summer that we cannot even park in our own driveway because the tree drops so many flowers. They stick like glue to the paint of our cars and are nearly impossible to wash off - they won't even fly off at 70 mph! DO NOT plant these trees anywhere near your driveway. We find old flowers under the hood and in the trunk of our cars, they get everywhere! They are killing our roses on the completely opposite side of the driveway, not from lack of sun but because the flowers drop off the tree and die on the rose foliage, killing the foliage. I try to pick them off as often as possible, however, that is like trying to stop a dam breaking by corking the hole with a toothpick.

We will be digging up about 10 volunteer Mimosas this fall to give to our friends who love them. Mimosas are much prettier when they aren't messing up my car and roses!

Positive henryr10 On Jul 26, 2004, henryr10 from Cincinnati, OH (Zone 6b) wrote:

I'm sitting here typing and out the windows the hummers are getting their last meal of the day. Our 25 foot tall Mimosa is loaded, both with blossoms and newly forming seed pods.

Nothing growing in the North is prettier than sunset backlighting these hundreds of blooms. We get a ground die-back about every 5 years so we have a multi-stemmed trunk. After each die-back the tree comes back stronger than ever.

Positive hanna1 On Jul 23, 2004, hanna1 from Castro Valley, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

I have to trim mine a lot, branches get heavy and want to bend to ground. Worth all its trouble and mess!!!

Neutral turnberry On Jul 19, 2004, turnberry from Grass Valley, CA wrote:

I put neutral here because I have become resigned to the fearful mess my tree makes. It was planted in a patio area by people, us, who knew no better at the time. As a tiny seedling 25 years ago, it had been decapitated once by a horse and once by a child stacking wood. It has taken its revenge for these indignities by growing to massive proportions, cracking the patio in several places, and delivering tons of seasonal debris and billions of progeny. On the positive side, it and two of its children, located more auspiciously on the property, smell divine and are beloved of hummers and sphinx (I believe) moths. The shade is lovely and raking the debris to feed to the pygmy goats is healthy exercise. How's that for pragmatism.

Neutral melody On Jul 7, 2004, melody from Benton, KY (Zone 7a) wrote:

I can't bear to give this plant a negative rating even though it's weedy and invasive here in West Kentucky. Mature specemins are quite lovely. Smaller ones pop up along roadsides, fence rows and fields.

Another negative is that my hay fever arrives as this plant blooms and my eyes will get scratchy and 'crummy' if I'm around one very long.

I have fond memories of playing beneath my Aunt Irma's gigantic one (50 feet) We took the little blooms and made ballerina skirts for paper dolls.

Positive chicochi3 On Jul 1, 2004, chicochi3 from Fayetteville, AR (Zone 6b) wrote:

Here in Arkansas this plant is a pest. But I give it a positive. Just keep one or two in a place where you want them, and they're probably the most beautiful tree in the yard. The flowers are beautiful and have a wonderful scent. Butterflies and hummingbirds love the flowers. If they happen to take hold in your chain link fence, though, they're really hard to get rid of. The seedlings are all over the place and left to their own device, they become trees. If they're in the lawn, mow the rascals down. If they're in your flower bed, dig them up like a weed. As beautiful as this tree is, a little sure goes a long way.

Positive pokerboy On Jun 28, 2004, pokerboy from Canberra
Australia (Zone 8b) wrote:

I have one of these silk trees outside the kitchen window and it has grown to a large 8.5m. The tree has been attacked by borers and is rotting. Although the tree is rotting it is one of the most beautiful trees I have ever set eyes on. It's soft pink pom pom like blooms will make you drool with envy if you do not have on so go out and buy one as they are reasonably cheap. Definetly in Australia. Grow them only if they are not a weed in your area!!! I get plenty of volenteer seedlings and I usually pot them up and the ones I don't simply die because of the shade the tree gives. They are exteremly drought tolerant. A great one to try in Australia. pokerboy.

Positive WillowWasp On Jun 11, 2004, WillowWasp from Jones Creek, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I love this tree. To me it is so elegant and whispy just really a pretty tree to have around. I especially like the fact that you can plant anything under it and have nice filtered sunlight...
The only problem I have seen with it in this area is the limbs are cut off by the Girdling Beetle. So you have to keep it sprayed for them, otherwise it has been care free... :o)
Dee

Positive misspatrice On May 19, 2004, misspatrice from Tifton, GA wrote:

Mimosas or "silk tree" (never heard that one) are very common here in South Georgia. I love my mimosa which is planted next to my driveway. It is the most beautiful tree in the neighborhood. I agree with other commentors that it attracts all types of birds and nectar-collecting insects. In January of 1986, this tree was a sucker from a wild tree growing on an imbankment next to the interstate. It was 18" tall with only one thin stalk. I cut the runner root with a shovel, dug a crude hole at the direction of my 5 year old daughter and within 5 years, the tree was large, blooming and wonderful.

The only negative for me is the flowers fall profusely and if you cannot sweep them off the driveway before it rains, they become a slippery, brown, mucky mat. This probably would not be a problem on a dirt drive. I was very surprised to learn recently that these trees are prone to disease. Mine is 18 1/2 years old. It requires no pruning as far as I am concerned except to remove dying or peeling limbs and those that hang over the street in the way of traffic.

The pods are wonderful to me because in the autumn breezes, they rattle and make a wonderful "raining" noise. I do not mind the fall of the pods as the dried ones crumble and decompose easily. I do, however, believe that the seeds might be poisonous so small children should be taught never to put the seeds in their mouths.

For those of you wanting to plant a mimosa, don't go to a nursery, just dig a small one up or have a friend send you some seeds. You won't regret it!

Positive purefreedoms On Apr 28, 2004, purefreedoms from Brockton, MA wrote:

I live in southeastern Massachusetts where I bought my first house 10 years ago. Guess what the very first tree I planted was? Albizia julibrissin 'Rosea', of course--it is my absolute favorite tree. I have 7 now and it will be interesting to see how they fared after this year's brutally cold winter. I find these trees exotically beautiful, easy as pie to grow and even easier to propagate.

I find that the best place to showcase the splendor and grace of this beauty is to plant in an open sunny location in average soil where they can be allowed to grow outward in all directions. Then you get that fantastic umbrella shape. I wait til spring to clean up fallen debris, by then the tiny leaves have composted into soil and just the little twigs are left to rake.Plant cannas, castor beans, and mallows in the same garden and you'll get a tropical getaway in your own back yard!

Positive dlnorton On Mar 19, 2004, dlnorton from Riverside, CA wrote:

My folks and I live in Riverside, CA.

About 30 years ago, my folks bought a place with a couple mimosa trees in the front yard. Nice big canopies. Then my dad cut them down. They would have probably been dead by now if he hadn't. BUT..he's been kicking himself ever since for cutting them down. In the last 10 years...he's put in a jacaranda, which seems to have taken off quite well.

In my neck of the city, I see mimosas here and there. There's a house around the corner with a nice big mimosa growing in the front yard. Since I'm a bonsai enthusiast, I'd love to get my mitts on one..!!

They are prone to die-back and look very ugly when dead.

Negative Halfspied On Jan 3, 2004, Halfspied from Star, NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

A weedy non-native. There's one across the street from our private road. Thus we have to make regular maintenance runs to get rid of the volunteers. They're tough to pull up, and mowing doesn't discourage them much. They also sprout in our woods. Some people call them Formosas. I wish people wouldn't let them grow. There are lots of alternatives to attract butterflies.

Negative clarkie On Jan 2, 2004, clarkie wrote:

Just another non-native species that does not belong here. I spend a lot of time every year digging then up by the hundreds. They are nasty.

Positive faries50 On Dec 22, 2003, faries50 from magnolia, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

This is one of the most beautiful trees ever. It's a fast grower here in the south west. I just love it. I look at it all the time when out side. Very tropical looking. It protects my philodendrons my other favorite. Everyone should have one. Easy to start from seed. I've got seed.

Positive lewsadk On Jul 26, 2003, lewsadk from Paris, IL wrote:

I have one in Paris, IL and there are many more in this area. I purchased mine on Ebay from a grower in SC and have had great results this year. It was dormant for about a month after arrival, but has now taken off! There are other mimosas in my area that are over 10' tall, so these do grow in our zone.

Positive suncatcheracres On Jul 25, 2003, suncatcheracres from Old Town, FL wrote:

Despite it's invasiveness--this exotic tree grows all along the highways in Northcentral Florida--I have super fond memories of this tree from my childhood in Gulfport, Mississippi. There was a huge specimen just down the street in the side yard of a retired President of a nearby girl's "Junior College," and as a child I remember afternoon tea parties this woman held for the neighborhood girls, with tea, lemonaid and cookies attractively spread out, and all of us sitting on colorful cushions on old white lawn furniture on a small patio under this gigantic mimosa tree. It's delicate, lacy shade was very welcome in the pre-airconditioned South of the 1950's. This tree took up most of the South facing side yard of her house, delicately shading the house all summer. It must have been 40 to 50 feet tall, had a large base, and had survived many wind storms and hurricanes just a block and a half from the Gulf of Mexico! I remember she had a large, attractive "cottage garden" in this side yard, so she must have been a good gardener, and she always sent us girls home with bouquets of flowers for our mothers.

June 13, 2004
The mimosas along the roadways here in Northcentral Florida have been spectacular this month--the prettiest that I have ever seen them. I live in a very rural area, and the mimosas seem to especially like to grow along fences, where they don't get mowed, and their branches arch and hang gracefully over the "no-man's land" between a fence and the highway. When they are in full bloom they are a delight for all traveler's eyes.

As far as mimosas not being "native," so what? "Native" is an arbitrary designation, for some imaginary event over 400 years ago. Plants travel, just like people do, and "ecosystems" aren't static--they evolve as conditions change. For instance, here in Northcentral Florida we are losing our dogwoods--they are retreating northward--as our warming winter climate has made our area too warm for them. The same will probably happen with our redbuds, and then more sub-tropical plants will move into our area to take their place. And if the climate becomes cooler again, these delightful small trees might come back, or something else will move in that likes the current conditions better.

I am part Cherokee Indian, and I know that the woodland tribes managed their forests and their gardens just as much as their technology allowed them to, so America wasn't "pristine wilderness" with only "native plants" before the Europeans came. All plants have a place, and as gardeners we just have to find the right places for them. Personally I find a plant that fixes nitrogen in the soil and produces spectacular flowers in the heat of summer that also attracts beautiful wildlife, AND provides quick shade for our homes and patios to be a blessing.

Negative Larkie On Jul 9, 2003, Larkie from Camilla, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

Another pesky, yet very beautiful noxious weed that we grow so well here in south Georgia..I'm guilty!..I have several that I have left around the yard, one is over 40 years old and has a huge spread( my MIL, planted it.)..Every year, I threaten to get rid of it, but just cannot do it. The blooms are so gorgeous..The seedlings each year will make you talk real ugly..LOL..
Larkie

Positive gonedutch On Jul 8, 2003, gonedutch from Fairport, NY wrote:

My Mimosa is a door yard feature. It was planted on the south side of the house against a heated foundation wall or it would not survive our zone 5-6 winter temperatures.

To retain a diminutive size I pruned it back hard last fall. After a severe winter I was afraid that I might have killed it by pruning it too far back but in late May it bagan to show life. Today, six weeks later the new growth is 6-7 feet! And the new tree now has precisely the shape and height that I wanted.

There is still no evidence of flower buds but I am confident that they will soon arrive. The tree has always produced prolific flowering. I never felt a need for fertilizers or addional waterering.

The flower scent reminds me of exotic nutmeg which perfums the whole door yard. Mimosa's foliage is photo-sensitive and 'folds' at dusk. This allows more light into the garden from night time street lights. At dawn the foliage opens up to provide cool daytime shade.

I have not seen a single seedling in ten years but look forward to finding some.

All in all this is a very satisfying specimen tree.

Positive riverlady On Jul 2, 2003, riverlady wrote:

I have two 8 year old Mimosa trees in my front yard and I love them. I have also had people admire the trees and ask for seedlings. I live in southwest Ohio along the Ohio River and do have a problem with hundreds of seedlings. I have started several trees for my friends. You can start them either from seed or from seedlings that have sprouted. If you start them from seed, the seed should be soaked in water for 24 hours then nicked on one end before planting. If you start them from sprouted seedlings, just pull them straight up from the ground they were started in and put them in a pot with potting soil. Keep them watered so that the soil is moist but not wet. I put mine in the shade until they are about a foot tall. The seedlings you select should not be very big (2-4 inches). The seedlings develop a very long tap root quickly and become hard to pull up and to replant. I hope this helps.

Positive griffeyj On Jul 2, 2003, griffeyj wrote:

The mimosa grows wild all over Alabama. It can been seen routinely on highway right-a-ways. I planted seedlings in my backyard 12 years ago. They now reach up to 30ft in the air and provide exceptionally good shade. However, recently three of my 8-10 memosas suddenly lost thier leaves just as they bloomed. They have developed black (solid)spots of rather large demensions at various locations on the main trunk bark. Have I been lucky to get 12 years out of them? I may try trimming them back (in the fall when it is dry)to see if they will revive. They do make a mess in my yard, when the blooms and beans fall.

Positive tonyah On Jul 1, 2003, tonyah wrote:

I just went to Branson and this tree was all over Missouri. The farthest north I noticed it was just on the west side of St. Louis along the I-44. I first noticed it at the Sheperd of the Hills Fish Hatchery. I commented on how pretty it was to my family. Not being a tree lover or any kind of gardener, my husband thought I was ridiculous when I insisted that he pull over so that I could break off a piece of the branch with flower and leaves to find out what kind of tree it is. A local told me the name.

None of the nurseries here in Peoria, IL carry the tree. They say it isn't hardy up here. I say that our winters cannot be much worse than St. Louis or Branson's. It was just as warm and humid there when I was visiting as it is here now. I'm just in love with this tree!!! I've read everyone's comments and have room for it in my yard near the highway. I'm only worried about the fusarium wilt and someone's comments about fruit trees because I have a peach tree.

Neutral Greenknee On Jun 26, 2003, Greenknee from Chantilly, VA (Zone 6b) wrote:

All of the color cultivars of Albizia grow in this area, and reseed freely, many appearing alongside highways - easily seen when in bloom with the various shades of light pink to red. Attractive to hummingbirds. They are, however susceptible to wilt and therefore often very shortlived, though my father had a mature tree probably over 50 years old on the farm where I grew up in Prince Georges Co, Maryland (U.S.) We eagerly watched each year for the hummingbirds to return to it.

Positive GloryRaptor On Jun 26, 2003, GloryRaptor from Rocklin, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

My parents have some of these trees. They are nearly impossible to kill and grow like crazy. On the bright side, we cut one of them back right to its trunk and it didn't phase it a bit. It had a full size canopy the next spring. You'll want to watch out for those suckers, though. If you want a new sapling you'll have one asap. To give you an idea, there were a couple of suckers in the yard of my parents house that got away from my mother for a couple of seasons when she was dealing with cancer. Because they were already so large when she got back out to work with them, and because they had sprung up right where we had removed another tree, she decided to let them volunteer for the spot the old tree had left vacant. It's been around four years and they are now full fledged trees, with a trunk girth of around six inches.

Neutral daylilies On Jun 24, 2003, daylilies wrote:

We have always admired the mimosa during our trips to the coast, but short of digging up a seedling, we have had no luck in finding a nursery in this area that stocks them.

Positive dragoozootoo On Jun 24, 2003, dragoozootoo from Portland, OR wrote:

As the centerpiece of my front yard, I often have people double-park in the street to comment on my BEAUTIFUL silk tree. My tree was planted in the summer of 1996 from a one gallon bucket and now is the "umbrella tree" that allows our neighbors and friends to enjoy a cool drink, shade, enchanting aroma and each others company all summer long! I have over 20 seedlings sprouting in my lower garden!!!

Neutral Petsitterbarb On Jun 1, 2003, Petsitterbarb from Claremore, OK wrote:

Ahhhh...Mimosas! Just the sight of one, or the delicious fragrance, takes me back immediately to the late 40's and the 50's, when EVERYONE had at least one Mimosa in their yard! They do great here in hot/dry Oklahoma, and you see 'em growing wild sometimes. I love the fern type leaves and the little pink puffy blossoms are simply devine to the eye and to the nose. They don't live long though, and tend to split, like Bradford Pear trees do, so I have to rate them "neutral" for that problem.

Positive gaysunboy On May 31, 2003, gaysunboy from Seattle, WA wrote:

Also known as Silk Tree, Mimosa is fast growing, deciduous, but short lived (10 - 20 years) and the ferny compound leaves are huge (12 to 18 inches). Its natural range is from Iran to Japan in dry mountain woodlands. It leafs out late (often as late as July) and sheds early. The small leaflets disappear into the grass or flower beds.

It loves heat and dry summers. Be sure site is well drained. Drought tolerant, the wood is weak and brittle, developing 'V' rather than 'U' crotches, if over watered.

Fusarium wilt can be quite a problem and is fatal. It can spread to adjacent Mimosa trees by root contact. Do not prune during wet season. Alway sterilize pruning tools. Make clean, water shedding cuts and treat with broad spectrum fungicide. NEVER USE A PRUNING SEALER COMPOUND!

The tree is widely planted in Seattle area, where summers are nearly rainless. I have the variety 'Rosea' with deep pink flowers that attract hummingbirds from miles around. The tree is glorious viewed from above.

Neutral kzbgarden On May 30, 2003, kzbgarden wrote:

The Mimosa is very susceptible to a vascular wilt disease. I've read that the cultivar 'Charlotte' is resistant, although I haven't been able to locate this cultivar yet.

Negative BJT On May 30, 2003, BJT wrote:

My Mimosa tree grew very tall and was beautiful. It bloomed beautifully for several years. This year my tree turned green and died. The green bark peels off.

Positive Ravensmom On May 22, 2003, Ravensmom wrote:

My grandmother always had a Mimosa in her back yard in Louisville KY. She never had any trouble with the 40ft tree. Occasionally there would be volunteers to pull up or cut down. The farther north you are, the less trouble with volunteers there is. Fewer seeds survive the colder winters and therefore fewer sprout ;)
I can see where they could be a problem if you had hundreds of them. However I would do the extra work just to have one of these wonderful trees. In fact, I'm just now starting my own from seed. Wish me luck!

Neutral Kelli On Mar 23, 2003, Kelli from L.A. (Canoga Park), CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

They are messy, dropping flowers and dried pods for months, but they are attractive in bloom and form and the flowers smell good.

As far as I know, they are not invasive in southern California. "Mimosa" is the common name I hear used here.

They are prone to heart rot. Our tree had been severely cut back by previous owners and is now completely rotted out in the center. Otherwise, the tree is healthy and holds up fine to our annual 50+ mph wind gusts.

Update on June 25, 2003

The tree held up to 50+ mph wind gusts, but last night, in the dead calm, one of the trunks broke off.
Negative lgsherk On Mar 23, 2003, lgsherk from Vandiver, AL (Zone 7a) wrote:

In Alabama the mimosa is considered an invasive alien and a pest!
Linda in Alabama

Positive Aprill72 On Mar 22, 2003, Aprill72 wrote:

I love this "Dr. Seuss" like tree! The things grow wild all over Georgia and I love driving in the summer trying to spot them along the highway. Five summers ago my husband and I found two wild trees and planted them in the yard of our house being built. They have grown almost 8 feet tall despite our Labrador (dog) chewing the largest off about a foot from the ground the first year. They continue to thrive despite our cutting back the long arching limbs each year, but they never get pink flowers. They are still beautiful but I keep hoping for the Dr. Seuss flowers each year. Miracle grow, tree food and scolding aren't getting me flowers.

Neutral momarsha On Oct 30, 2002, momarsha wrote:

I transplanted a volunteer seedling about 12 years ago at my home in Missouri. We are zone 5 where mimosa can suffer and die back, but mine did very well on the East side of my home, nearby the driveway. I love the tree which grew quickly, bloomed in only a few years and which blooms nearly 2 months each summer. Both the hummingbirds and swallowtail butterflies flock to it and the scent is wonderful.

However, I would never recommend it nearby ones home. The seeds actually accumulate in the tracks of my sliding door. The volunteers come up in every flower bed and the cracks of the sidewalks by the hundreds, and each must be cut down repeatedly if not uprooted.

It is a gorgeous parent tree. I prune it both spring and fall to keep it in bounds, though I have read they do not take to pruning. Now in maturity, there has been wind breakage. I plan to do a more severe pruning to bring it back down to size, which may destroy it. I could recommend it only on large lots away from any garden beds. The seedlings are more aggressive, even, than our maples or cottonwoods in this area.

Positive ccallen On Sep 19, 2002, ccallen wrote:

I obtained a silk tree from a nursery. The tree had been trained to have a long trunk (about 5 feet) with branches at the top. This spring as the leaves started to grow, the weight caused the trunk to bend (the tree was upside down after a rainy, windy night).

I tied a 2x4 to the trunk to keep it straight, at about 5 different spots. I didn't have to dig a hole or anything (and disturb the roots), I just cut the board to just fit between the roots and the first branches. This is something they didn't warn me at the nursery, a skinny trunk and huge growth at the top!

Its a beautiful tree. At the end of this summer the branches have grown enough to create a nice canopy. Next year I expect it to really bush out.

Positive dragonlady0747 On Aug 18, 2002, dragonlady0747 from Troisdorf
Germany wrote:

This is the most wonderful tree in my garden. I got three little seedlings in '92 and planted them together. I seem to be the only person who grows it here in Germany. It is hardy in winter time and if it grows too big I can cut it and it still will grow nicely. People stop by attracted by its beauty and fragrance and ask for cuttings and seedlings. I tried that myself but never got a positive result. Though there are many seed pots and I put them out at different times it never worked out.

Positive woodspirit1 On Aug 1, 2002, woodspirit1 from Lake Toxaway, NC (Zone 7a) wrote:

I love this tree. Here in the mountains of North Carolina (U.S.), it blooms for such a long time, 6 weeks to 2 months. Yes the hummingbirds do love it.

The reason it is short-lived is because it contracts a fungus that is deadly. Mimosa is not native, I think it comes from Japan and this fungus does not exist there so it has no immunity.

There used to be a wide road in Savannah called Habersham (or perhaps Abercormbe) that had a wide median. It had 2 rows of Mimosa all the way down it for many blocks. It was a glorious sight; the trees arched out over the pavement so it was a cool, pink tunnel when in bloom. Then all of a sudden, one year, they ALL died! But that impression is still burned in my brain.

Positive Wingnut On Aug 1, 2002, Wingnut from Spicewood, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Butterflies simply LOVE these blooms! When mine bloom, you can see butterflies all over the blooms ~ quite a sight for "flying flower" fans. It's an especially nice sight when there's a light wind blowing and the canopy moves like a pink and green sea with the butterflies riding the waves.

I think the "weed tree" status of this tree is very undeserved. I don't find my two 30+ year old trees to be weak-wooded. The hackberries and pecans drop MANY more limbs than the mimosas during our violent thunderstorms. Same for the supposed messiness ~ Mom parks her car under it and hasn't complained once. Of course this is dry Texas ~ by the time the blooms fall to the cars, they are light little puffballs that blow right off instead of being wet and sticking. The dryness here may also account for the lack of seedlings. I've never seen any anywhere on this hundred acres except one that got started down by the creek in full shade. It's thriving despite the lack of sun and wet conditions.

I love this tree!!

Positive Chili On Jul 22, 2002, Chili from Raleigh, NC wrote:

One of the weediest plants I know of. Seedlings come up by the millions. Rumored to live only 15 years but one of mine is over 20 with a 60' spread. Unrivaled in bloom, fuzzy pink fragrant flowers attract hummingbirds. Spent flowers and seed pods make huge mess, especially after rain. Flowers stick to cars like glue. Often becomes lopsided. Form is variable. As a legume, it fixes nitrogen from the atmosphere; plants below the tree seem to benefit from this. Not recommended for most landscape situations. I would not have mine if it weren't for its age and rare perfect multistem shape.

Positive Terry On Sep 3, 2001, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

Often called "Mimosa", but don't mistake it for Acacia, which shares the same common name and family, but has white or yellow flowers.

Albizia julibrissin is, according to the books, a fast-growing, weak-wooded tree. The pink, feathery flowers appear in mid-summer, atop finely divided foliage that resembles the houseplant "Sensitive Plant" (Mimosa pudica, which is-- not surprisingly--a member of the same family.) Regular water will promote fast growth; if drought conditions are present, the tree may grow slowly and look yellowish.

The seed pods which form after blooming are messy; do not plant this tree near sidewalks or driveways (that's the voice of personal experience talking.)

On the positive side, having a tree that blooms in summer is a nice, tropical-feeling change of pace for those of us in non-tropical zones. Several years ago, we rented a house with several Mimosa trees, which fascinated a young neighbor boy - he called them our "feather trees".

Bertschikon Bei Attikon,
Capelle Aan Den Ijssel,
Setubal,
, Alabama
Atmore, Alabama
Auburn, Alabama
Birmingham, Alabama (2 reports)
Calera, Alabama
Eclectic, Alabama
Gaylesville, Alabama
Holly Pond, Alabama
Irvington, Alabama
Jasper, Alabama
Mobile, Alabama (2 reports)
New Market, Alabama
Orange Beach, Alabama
Springville, Alabama
Thomaston, Alabama
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Wetumpka, Alabama
Bowie, Arizona
Golden Valley, Arizona (2 reports)
Kingman, Arizona
Prescott, Arizona
Sedona, Arizona
Tucson, Arizona (2 reports)
Dermott, Arkansas
Dunnellon, Florida
Green Cove Springs, Florida
Hampton, Florida
Hialeah, Florida
Jacksonville, Florida (2 reports)
Kissimmee, Florida
Lake City, Florida
Leesburg, Florida
Madison, Florida
Niceville, Florida
Nokomis, Florida
Old Town, Florida
Pensacola, Florida (2 reports)
Perry, Florida
Cornelia, Georgia
Eastman, Georgia
Gainesville, Georgia
Griffin, Georgia
Hinesville, Georgia (2 reports)
Lula, Georgia
Saint Robert, Missouri
Salem, Missouri
Springfield, Missouri
Henderson, Nevada
Las Vegas, Nevada (2 reports)
Pahrump, Nevada
Hilliard, Ohio
Mount Orab, Ohio
West Chester, Ohio
Owasso, Oklahoma
Stillwater, Oklahoma (3 reports)
Alsea, Oregon
Hood River, Oregon
Lake Oswego, Oregon
Oakland, Oregon
Salem, Oregon
Talent, Oregon
The Dalles, Oregon
Altoona, Pennsylvania (2 reports)
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
Emmaus, Pennsylvania
Greencastle, Pennsylvania
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Milford, Pennsylvania
Mount Pleasant, Pennsylvania
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Roscoe, Pennsylvania
Scranton, Pennsylvania (2 reports)
Vieques, Puerto Rico
East Greenwich, Rhode Island
East Providence, Rhode Island
Riverside, Rhode Island
Wakefield, Rhode Island
Beaufort, South Carolina (2 reports)
Bluffton, South Carolina
Lexington, South Carolina
Mullins, South Carolina
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Pelion, South Carolina
Rock Hill, South Carolina (2 reports)
Summerville, South Carolina
Old Hickory, Tennessee
Paris, Tennessee
Pocahontas, Tennessee
Tellico Plains, Tennessee
Westmoreland, Tennessee (2 reports)
Alvin, Texas
Arlington, Texas
Austin, Texas (4 reports)
Baytown, Texas
Brownsville, Texas
Corpus Christi, Texas
Deer Park, Texas
Denton, Texas
El Paso, Texas (2 reports)
Fort Worth, Texas (3 reports)
Frisco, Texas
Poteet, Texas
Princeton, Texas
Red Oak, Texas
San Angelo, Texas
San Antonio, Texas (3 reports)
Spicewood, Texas
Jonesville, Virginia
Lexington, Virginia
Moneta, Virginia
Newport News, Virginia
Norfolk, Virginia (2 reports)
Richmond, Virginia
Roanoke, Virginia (2 reports)
Allyn, Washington
North Bend, Washington
Puyallup, Washington
Renton, Washington
Richland, Washington
Seattle, Washington (2 reports)
Amma, West Virginia