Moringa
Moringa stenopetala

Family: Moringaceae
Genus: Moringa (moh-RIN-guh) (Info)
Species: stenopetala (sten-oh-PET-al-uh) (Info)

Blue-Green

Self-sows freely; deadhead if you do not want volunteer seedlings next season

Direct sow as soon as the ground can be worked

From seed; germinate in a damp paper towel

Hemet, California

Thousand Oaks, California

Bradenton, Florida

Goodland, Florida

Largo, Florida

Sarasota, Florida

Tampa, Florida

On Jul 24, 2014, DesertDance from Riverside County Unincorporated, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

I know of two varieties of Moringa, and am growing them for their health benefits. Being quite lazy and impatient, I find stripping Olifeirra of it's leaves much like stripping thyme leaves from the stem!!

SO, I have now planted Moringa Stenopetala (bigger leaves..better tasting) with my fingers crossed that it will live through our winters. We are in a micro-climate. I have fig trees that never went dormant. Mild winters here. Olieferra stopped growing last winter, but shot up like a geyser this spring. I still worry about Stenopetala. I have it planted close to a concrete wall with a concrete driveway close to it to reflect heat during winter. One of my seeds, obtained on Ebay, has germinated and is really cute! I will do what I can to protect this one in winte... read more

On Jul 22, 2010, MoringaMorey from Bradenton, FL wrote:

I grow Moringa Stenopetala, also called the African Moringa, and Moringa Oleifera. The root bark contains a poweful neurotoxin; nevertheless, many people worldwide eat the root, as a substitute for horseradish. Too much can be fatal - no one seems to be specific as to what "too much" is. My advice is: do not eat the root of the Moringa tree - any Moringa tree. Horseradish is easily obtained, and eating the root will certainly kill the tree, so it is not wise to eat the root, even if the root bark appears to have been totally pared away.

That is the only part of the plant that is potentially toxic, although there are many cautionary statements, about eating Moringa Stenopetala leaves as the sole source of greens. See previous grower's comments.

The Moringa Sten... read more

On Sep 30, 2009, ChayaMan from Largo, FL wrote:

Please see my comments on Moringa oleifera elsewhere on this site. M. stenopetala is very similar, although the leaves are larger and easier to harvest. While edible and very nutritious, M. stenopetala leaves should not be eaten as a frequent or single dietary source of food because of a higher incidence of organic acids in the leaves.

In my garden (Zone 9b, microclimate 10a) M. stenopetala does not thrive as well as M. oleifera, although that may simply be a soil preference issue. It seems that M. stenopetala always seems to need more water than M. oleifera.