Umbú, Imbu, Brazil Plum
Spondias tuberosa

Family: Anacardiaceae (an-a-kard-ee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Spondias (SPON-dee-as) (Info)
Species: tuberosa (too-ber-OH-suh) (Info)

Edible Fruits and Nuts

Not Applicable

Honomu, Hawaii

On Feb 4, 2010, foodiesleuth from Honomu, HI (Zone 11) wrote:

I was given a little tree in a pot and told that it was a Brazilian plum but also known as Brazilian cherry. When I search for a Brazilian cherry, the surinam cherry shows up, but when I search for Brazilian plum, only your post above shows up.
I would love to have photos to identify the leaves of my little tree.

On Oct 1, 2008, QCHammy from San Tan Valley, AZ (Zone 9a) wrote:

The name of this tree and fruit comes from the indigenous phrase y-mb-u, which means tree that gives drink. The productive cycle of this wild, spontaneously growing tree begins after ten years of growth. It bears fruit once a year and can produce up to 300 kilos of fruit in a single harvest when it reaches maturity. Due to its robust root system, a great network of tubers that can store liquid throughout the Sertão s dry season, the Umbu tree can hold up to 3,000 liters of water during the dry months.

The Umbu can be eaten fresh or made into jams or other sweetened preserves like fruit cheese. In the Sertão, it is cooked down until the peel and the pulp separate. Then, the liquid is poured off, it is mixed with sugar and cooked for another two hours. After the pulp has been ... read more