PlantFiles: Shrub Rose
Rosa 'Sunny Knockout'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Sunny Knockout
Additional cultivar information: (PP18562, aka Sunny, Radsunny, Sunny Knock Out)
Hybridized by Radler; Year of Registration or Introduction: 2007

Resistant to black spot
Resistant to mildew
Sets hips

Pruning Instructions:
Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth

From hardwood cuttings

By DaylilySLP
Thumbnail #6 of Rosa  by DaylilySLP

By DaylilySLP
Thumbnail #7 of Rosa  by DaylilySLP

Positive Southernbell421 On May 28, 2013, Southernbell421 from Ocala, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

I have had my Sunny Knock-out for 2 years now and it's doing well. It doesn't grow like the other knock-outs I have planted near by, but it does add a nice bit of color and fragrance. It does well Summer and Winter down here and I like that it's a tough little plant.

Neutral Jenn323 On Aug 2, 2012, Jenn323 from Satsuma, AL wrote:

I bought this plant at Lowe's as a sort of last resort. I knew I wanted a yellow rose but had not had good luck in finding the right one. I saw this and bought it as the final piece of my first rose garden. One of the reasons I went ahead and got it was because it was a knockout and my reading and observations (knockouts are in pretty much every subdivision entrance, shopping center, restaurant landscaping) had led me to believe that they were pretty easy to grow. Plus the final spot in my garden was not exactly ideal. We have a sloping backyard and had built a nice raised bed full of fresh soil and nutrients for the roses...but the far end was kind of ground level and didn't get all of that store-bought dirt and goodies. It was mostly just our south alabama red dirt and sand. Plus it's on the far end and is the last to get out of the shade of house and get full sun. While it does eventually get enough sun, it doesn't bask in it nearly all day like its "big brothers" do. So anyway, I planted it there and it looked good for a few months. Its flowers smell SO GOOD. It surprises me to often see this plant's scent defined as lightly fragrant. My little sunny knockout blooms have the strongest and most wonderful fragrance of all of my roses! It has started to thin out and look kind of shabby lately, but it's still trucking along. I know that it's not doing so great because of its location, but that's why I put it there. It's true that it's hard to kill a knockout! I am cheering it on and doing my best to keep it going. It is a sweet, cute little plant that would absolutely brighten up any garden!

Positive Sandwichkatexan On Apr 1, 2012, Sandwichkatexan from Copperas Cove, TX wrote:

Buds start out neon yellow and fade to near white as the flower ages. when the bush is in full bloom it looks like it has three different colors .

Positive gaclaygardener On Mar 9, 2011, gaclaygardener from Pembroke, GA wrote:

I love the sunny knock out roses. They are very fragrant in my zone 8b garden. I use them wherever I want a nice full shrub with color that requires no maintenance. I do stress NO maintenance. I don't have to fertilize at all and I didn't have to amend my soil which has sand and clay in some areas. I just planted them in the ground and watered them twice a week until the fall. I do cut off the spent flower heads to promote new growth and flowering. I have red, pink, double red, and double pink knockout roses also and they all are wonderful. They are perfect for beginners who want to grow virtually carefree roses.

Positive foreseen On Jul 16, 2010, foreseen from Hamtramck, MI wrote:

This was my first year of gardening and I had spent around a hundred dollars on barefoot roses online in an attempt to get rare and fragrant roses...all of them either died or lost all buds due to disease.I found this plant on clearance in Lowes and thought "why not?" There were no buds on it. All I really had to go by was that it had good disease resistance and that it should flower continuously throughout the growing season. I brought it home, pruned it, watered it, and fertilized it for about 2 or 3 weeks. It has new growth and buds on every branch now, and a flower finally opened up yesterday. Imagine my surprise when I smelled its wonderful fragrance!! It's a Knockout rose with FRAGRANCE!!! The fragrance is a mix of spicy and fruity, I'm not a big fan of spicy smelling roses but this really has a beautiful scent. I am very happy with my purchase, and I would recommend this to anyone who loves flowers for their fragrance. I also love the color of this flower, i wish it had more petals but oh well...nothing is perfect.

Positive vossner On Mar 24, 2009, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

A yellow Knockout rose. Blooms start yellow but fade to a cream color. Hardy and low maint. as other knockouts. no fragrance. Mine is planted inground, shaded by some big tropical plants. Fall 2009: planted a tree version of it.

Saraland, Alabama