Shrub Rose
Rosa 'Sunny Knock Out'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Sunny Knock Out
Additional cultivar information:(PP18562, aka Sunny Knock Out, Radsunny)
Hybridized by Radler

Resistant to black spot

Resistant to mildew

Sets hips

Pruning Instructions:

Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth

From hardwood cuttings

Richmond, Virginia

Eau Claire, Wisconsin

negative

On Apr 16, 2015, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

Yes, it's vigorous, winter hardy, very disease resistant, and both prolific and near-continuous in its bloom. It does well without fungicide here.

But I don't like the way the flowers look as they fade---and they fade quickly. The petals eventually drop, but if I haven't deadheaded in a few days, the overall impression is that the flowers are tired and browning. It gives the shrub a dirty appearance.

The yellow bleaches quickly to white even here in the north.

I notice only a faint fragrance.

No knockout rose is commercially grafted or budded.

On Apr 15, 2015, littleragdoll from Eau Claire, WI wrote:

I've had the Sunny Knock Out rose in my garden for the past three years and it really has no issues. It smells nice. The roses start out yellow and age to white. When you have old and new flowers on the plant it reminds me of buttered popcorn. Very pretty.

On Mar 5, 2015, DaylilySLP from Dearborn Heights, MI (Zone 6a) wrote:

PP18562

On May 21, 2014, krainieri from Putnam Valley, NY (Zone 5b) wrote:

I have other roses that are doing well. I wanted a yellow rose so I tried the Sunny Knock-out 3 years ago. It never thrived and was often eaten by insects, who did not bother the other roses. This winter it died. I was not too upset, as I'm not a big fan of the blooms. I found them washed-out in color. I won't replace it.

On May 28, 2013, Southernbell421 from Ocala, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

I have had my Sunny Knock-out for 2 years now and it's doing well. It doesn't grow like the other knock-outs I have planted near by, but it does add a nice bit of color and fragrance. It does well Summer and Winter down here and I like that it's a tough little plant.

On Aug 2, 2012, Jenn323 from Satsuma, AL wrote:

I bought this plant at Lowe's as a sort of last resort. I knew I wanted a yellow rose but had not had good luck in finding the right one. I saw this and bought it as the final piece of my first rose garden. One of the reasons I went ahead and got it was because it was a knockout and my reading and observations (knockouts are in pretty much every subdivision entrance, shopping center, restaurant landscaping) had led me to believe that they were pretty easy to grow. Plus the final spot in my garden was not exactly ideal. We have a sloping backyard and had built a nice raised bed full of fresh soil and nutrients for the roses...but the far end was kind of ground level and didn't get all of that store-bought dirt and goodies. It was mostly just our south alabama red dirt and sand. Plus it's on... read more

On Apr 1, 2012, Sandwichkatexan from Copperas Cove, TX wrote:

Buds start out neon yellow and fade to near white as the flower ages. when the bush is in full bloom it looks like it has three different colors .

On Mar 9, 2011, gaclaygardener from Pembroke, GA wrote:

I love the sunny knock out roses. They are very fragrant in my zone 8b garden. I use them wherever I want a nice full shrub with color that requires no maintenance. I do stress NO maintenance. I don't have to fertilize at all and I didn't have to amend my soil which has sand and clay in some areas. I just planted them in the ground and watered them twice a week until the fall. I do cut off the spent flower heads to promote new growth and flowering. I have red, pink, double red, and double pink knockout roses also and they all are wonderful. They are perfect for beginners who want to grow virtually carefree roses.

On Jul 16, 2010, foreseen from Hamtramck, MI wrote:

This was my first year of gardening and I had spent around a hundred dollars on barefoot roses online in an attempt to get rare and fragrant roses...all of them either died or lost all buds due to disease.I found this plant on clearance in Lowes and thought "why not?" There were no buds on it. All I really had to go by was that it had good disease resistance and that it should flower continuously throughout the growing season. I brought it home, pruned it, watered it, and fertilized it for about 2 or 3 weeks. It has new growth and buds on every branch now, and a flower finally opened up yesterday. Imagine my surprise when I smelled its wonderful fragrance!! It's a Knockout rose with FRAGRANCE!!! The fragrance is a mix of spicy and fruity, I'm not a big fan of spicy smelling roses but this ... read more

On Mar 24, 2009, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

A yellow Knockout rose. Blooms start yellow but fade to a cream color. Hardy and low maint. as other knockouts. no fragrance. Mine is planted inground, shaded by some big tropical plants. Fall 2009: planted a tree version of it.

UPDATE May 2014: still have all these roses including tree, but they have slowly declined. Not bad enough to remove but certainly not nearly as strong as Red KO or Home Run. Still love the single petaled, soft yellow blooms