String of Bananas, String of Pearls, Banana Vine, Necklace Plant
Senecio radicans

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Senecio (sen-ek-ee-o ) (Info)
Species: radicans (RAD-ee-kans) (Info)

Groundcovers

Vista, California

Arvada, Colorado

Bradenton Beach, Florida

Brandon, Florida

Fort Lauderdale, Florida (2 reports)

Fort Walton Beach, Florida

San Angelo, Texas

Saint George, Utah

Roosevelt, Washington

On Mar 20, 2015, realityfaery from Delano, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

Last year my grandmother was thinning out her plant collection and gave me some of these in her pots. Not being too familiar with succulents I just treated it like my other plants. It took off! It even made its way into the neighboring flowerbed from its pot. Since moving I transplanted it into a hanging pot to get full view of it. It hangs 8' off the ground and its dangling about 4'. Every once and a while I clip it when its getting long and toss the pieces in the flowerbed below to let it establish itself there too. I'm highly impressed with this succulent. I've even started putting clippings in other hanging pots to get the same lovely cascade.

On Jan 17, 2015, anneberg1 from Saint Louis, MO wrote:

My Senecio radcans bananas are drying out near the soil. I tried to let the soil dry out in between watering and I also tried keeping the soil fairly moist. What should I do?

On Sep 30, 2013, JimiKrackKorn from Venice, CA wrote:

Does anyone know how long this plant will grow in a container? I keep having raise the pot I have mine in because it grows quicker than most succulents I own. When it was purchased in March, plant was about 12" and is now almost 14' . Its amazing.

On Feb 28, 2009, oddiebaby from Robbins, NC wrote:

Can I grow this in a container pot,it will be outside for the summers in N.C.?
Also,does it take the same care as string of pearls?Is it hardyer than string of pearls?

On Sep 22, 2008, tambo49 from Swannanoa, NC wrote:

I have a 6" pot of sting of bananas and I've enjoyed this plant so much. It is a BIG conversation plant for my area and very low maintenance. I have shared cuttings with several of my friends and that delights me as well as the plant. It loves to be shared!! Each time it is cut it grows 3-4 stems to replace the one I have removed! tambo49

On Apr 9, 2007, Kenotia from Bedford, TX wrote:

Easy to grow, and will put up with a lot. Smells slightly evergreen, and makes pleasant additions to hanging collection. Beware of putting this outside; I've had birds strip the 'bananas' off an entire established plant in less than a week.

On Jun 7, 2005, CaptMicha from Brookeville, MD (Zone 7a) wrote:

My plant has put up with a lot of abuse: mealy bugs, not watering enough, insecticide burn, not enough light, etc. but nothing really phases it.

String of bananas appreciate a "hair cut" once in a while.

Repotting is cumbersome because roots are shallow. You also have to hold the strings near the base of the plant which gets all the strings tangled together because of the beads.

On Aug 23, 2003, Happenstance from Northern California, CA wrote:

'String of Bananas' - Very easy to grow, easily propagated from cuttings/seed. Looks like tiny green bananas with windows. White flower shown in detail photo. Less common than Senecio rowleyanus - String of Pearls

On Apr 5, 2003, ohmysweetpjs from Brookeville, MD wrote:

No care plant. I water about once a week. It roots very easily and the blooms are pretty though I understand that's not what the plant is grown for. I'm not very into foliage plants but this has got to be one of my favorites.

On Jan 1, 2003, Robynski wrote:

Took a stem cutting from a friend and started in water on west-facing windowsill. Roots sprouted after 3-4 weeks. Changed water once a week.

On Oct 8, 2001, pinkphal wrote:

Grown as a houseplant, the String of Pearls seems to prefer the light exposure of a Western window. To propagate, take a strand of pearls and lay it on the soil, burying the lower section of the strand in the soil. Water very lightly until new growth appears.