Floribunda Rose
Rosa 'Cinco de Mayo'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Cinco de Mayo
Additional cultivar information:(PP21709; aka Wekcobeju, Celebration Time)
Hybridized by Carruth
Registered or introduced: 2009

Class:

Cluster-flowered (incl. Floribunda & Grandiflora)

Russet (r)

Bush

Patented

Other Details:

Pruning Instructions:

Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth

From hardwood cuttings

Paris, Texas

Roanoke, Texas

Herriman, Utah

On Mar 18, 2015, HNemerov from Bastrop, TX wrote:

One of the toughest I've grown here in Central Texas. During a cool week in late July--part of our hottest season--it pumped out a quick flush of blooms. (Roses normally go dormant during our hot season.) It flowers late into fall, and is lush in the spring. Now it's established, I water it only during prolonged dry spells. It gets a little black spot during cool damp weather, but new foliage is burgundy and healthy. If you're looking for a low-maintenance, drought tolerant rose, this should be on your short list.

On Mar 16, 2015, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

The color is hard to capture in a photo, a rusty red-orange variably overlaid with a subtle smoky lavender. 3.5" flowers with 20-25 petals bloom in small clusters, in flushes throughout the season.

This is reliably cane hardy in Z5, and some report it wintering over in Z4.

Won an All American Rose Selection in 2009.

Parentage: Topsy Turvy x Julia Child

US PP # 21,709.

On Mar 13, 2015, islay from Long Beach, CA wrote:

It has a lovely dusky colour, grows very well in Z 10b and has a heavenly scent. I was given one as a gift and a year later bought another because it is so lovely. I am mystified that it's said to have no fragrance . I have just pruned mine back , they grow rather leggy , one is in the ground in half sun the other in a large pot in full sun.

On Jun 20, 2013, js4fun from Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b) wrote:

I live about a mile from the coast where it is often overcast. I bought my rose three years ago and it's been amazing. It blooms prolifically year-round. No diseases. No mildew. No rust. No pests. I never get tired of it.

On Mar 8, 2013, ChefMia from Kekaha, HI wrote:

I just purchased this variety at a garden center on Kauai. I had never seen this variety before but the color and the softness of the petals drew me in. I am a relatively novice rose grower, having never grown roses in Hawaii. I hope this bush will thrive well here, as I live on the sunny dry side of the island. I will post as to my progress on this journey. Aloha :)

On Jul 17, 2012, jazzy1okc from Oklahoma City, OK wrote:

I have not grown this rose but observed it very carefully all throughout spring in the nursery where I work. The flowers, form, and foliage are magnificent and so is the fragrance. While other roses seemed to struggle to recuperate from a hail storm, bouts of black spot, etc., this beauty took the same challenges in stride and never skipped a beat. I hate that I didn't buy one for myself and will definitely be poised to snag one next year.
I agree that, although it isn't noted in the official descriptions, this rose has a really lovely scent.

On Jun 11, 2010, curlygirlca from Orange, CA wrote:

I have three growing through a Shiny Xylosma hedge and it's beautiful when the various shades of color are poking through the hedge. It also smells very nice. The range of colors are lovely. I'm actually going to put one more to replace a lavender that croaked.

On Apr 28, 2010, PenelopeEC from Dallas, TX wrote:

Most people say that this particular rose doesn't have any fragrance but the one outside my front door does. It smells heavenly with that classic "rose" scent.