Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Tomato 'Tycoon'

Lycopersicon lycopersicum

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Tycoon

Liberty Hill, Texas

Wichita Falls, Texas

negative

On Jul 4, 2016, ennarose from Wichita Falls, TX (Zone 7b) wrote:

I planted my first Tycoon tomato in the early spring of 2015. In May 2015 we had seventeen inches of rain after an historic 5 year drought. The tycoon endured and produced small to medium-sized fruit. The taste was good; however production was limited.
I planted another Tycoon in early April 2016. The plant has produced large beautiful tomatoes with a wonderful flavor! The largest tomato, so far, is 13.25 oz. My soil is clay amended with compost and some expanded shale. I have milk jugs (with one ice pick hole near the bottom) buried in the ground next to each plant. Every other week I fill the jug with one gallon water mixed with liquid seaweed and fish emulsion.
My only regret is that I planted only one Tycoon. Most of the others are heirloom varieties.

On Nov 18, 2015, TexasBri from Little Elm, TX wrote:

My local nursery recommended this variety for my rooftop container garden since it is so heat tolerant. I started it very late, mid-May. Unfortunately with the exceptionally cool and wet spring we had in 2015 it got early blight. It put up a wicked fight and lived to produce a few small fall tomatoes, very hardy plant! Before it got diseased it did produce 2 enormous tomatoes that were excellent. This was my first try at vegetable gardening and I'll definitely grow this tomato again in the spring. Now that I am more educated about vegetable gardening I expect great things from this plant.

On Jul 25, 2014, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Rating neutral as new in my Fall 2014 veggie garden. Named Texas Superstar in March 2014.

UPDATE Nov 2014. Changed to positive as I liked the flavor. This year's Fall season seemed to start earlier than usual so I had to harvest green fruit in order to save from cold weather. I was pleasantly surprised that indoor ripened fruit was so tasty. While I won't be growing fall tomatoes again, (not worth the effort), I will definitely look for seedlings of Tycoon tomatos next spring.

On Jul 10, 2013, 1lisac from Liberty Hill, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

This is my first year growing this plant but it won't be my last. It is growing great and producing loads of large red globes, that are blemish free. I broke the plant in two by accident rooted the top and planted both. It doesn't have the great taste of my black heirlooms but it's high yield and dependability make up for that. Anything that will set fruit in triple digit heat is good to me.

Can't understand why it would get a negative rating for having a possible disease. That isn't a reflection of the plant itself.

On Jun 18, 2013, limestonegardener from Crawford, TX wrote:

Just planted one Tycoon. It produced large fruits which became mottled red and green and brown. Some fruits turned to dark brown mush on the vine. I have removed it and all the debris I could. After looking around on the web the problem seems to be most like a Tobacco virus. I bought it from our Grocery store and a smoker could have handled it. Never realized that would be a problem! Am sad as I lost a great many tomatoes on the vine and it could infect the others planted nearby.

On Dec 16, 2008, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

A large round red fresh market hybrid from Hazera. It has heat set ability and high tolerance tomato yellow leaf curl virus and tomato spotted wilt virus.