PlantFiles: Black-eyed Susan, Gloriosa Daisy
Rudbeckia hirta 'Cherry Brandy'

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rudbeckia (rud-BEK-ee-a) (Info)
Species: hirta (HER-tuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Cherry Brandy

Not Applicable

Scarlet (Dark Red)

Flowers are good for cutting

By pennefeather

Thumbnail #5 of Rudbeckia hirta by amorecuore

By angele
Thumbnail #6 of Rudbeckia hirta by angele

Thumbnail #7 of Rudbeckia hirta by amorecuore

Positive centrallanding On Aug 8, 2013, centrallanding from CHEBEAGUE ISLAND, ME wrote:

I saw this plant growing beautifully in North Haven, Maine a few weeks ago. Johnny Select Seeds carries it and lists it as Zone 8-10. Other vendors list it as Zone 5-8. I have a picture I could post. I am very interested in growing it as it was stunning when I saw it. Could it be that it likes the climate of coastal Maine?

Negative nconway567 On Jun 22, 2011, nconway567 from Valdosta, GA (Zone 8b) wrote:

I'm very disappointed also with the color of this variety. Not even close to the colors pictured in catalogs/internet nurseries. It's a deep burgundy in the center but the edges of the petals are a drab tan color. Ugly....considering ripping this out.

Neutral grapevinegarden On Jun 25, 2010, grapevinegarden from Alvarado, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

I read the feedback after purchasing this plant so I was curious about the color. The plant is a healthy, vigorous grower and has just begun to bloom. Well, the blooms are red, but not like the nursery picture. They don't have the depth or intensity of red. The grower's picture shows an outer ring of lighter red on the petals, my plant has deep dusky pink tips instead. Nice enough to keep the plant, however. I submitted a picture.

Negative kobwebz On Nov 11, 2009, kobwebz from columbia, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

I also was very disapointed in the color of this, drab brownish purple,

Positive stormyla On Aug 1, 2009, stormyla from Norristown, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

I quite like this plant. No, it isn't red. But it is very vigorus, has many blooms of a very interesting orange, brown and wine color combination. I guess brown is for brandy.

Negative perennialpete On Jul 22, 2009, perennialpete from Dallas, TX wrote:

I got a lot of variation in the bloom color of my plants as well. I did see some burgundy, but never saw the colors pictured in the catalog. I spoke to a representative of my seed supplier who took the issue to Thompson and Morgan. She said T&M is claiming 3 to 5% of the seed isn't true and they were working to clean it up. I think it needs a few more generations of breeding.

Neutral amorecuore On Jul 1, 2009, amorecuore from Ft Lauderdale, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

I grew 5 Cherry Brandy plants from seed and found inconsistencies in the bloom coloration. I'm rating this plant as a neutral. I don't mind the different coloration in the blooms, but neither is what online retailers are reflecting this bloom to look like.

Negative echinaceamaniac On Jun 30, 2009, echinaceamaniac from (Clint) Medina, TN (Zone 7b) wrote:

The marketing photos of this plant are obviously altered to make them look red. I have never seen one with red color at all. Mine were all brown with just a hint of a wine color in the middle. They are small blooms and look very drab. I asked for refunds for the seeds. Biggest disappointment of 2009 in my garden!

Negative angele On Jun 30, 2009, angele wrote:

I cannot recommend this flower. The plant is very vigorous but the flowers on my plants are actually a rather unattractive brown with just some hints of red/deep cherry. Several DG members have also reported this so it must not be my growing conditions or a one-time occurence. The plants I have were purchased as plants and were not grown from seed.

Divernon, Illinois