Early, Large-flowered Clematis
Clematis 'Rebecca'

Family: Ranunculaceae (ra-nun-kew-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Clematis (KLEM-uh-tiss) (Info)
Cultivar: Rebecca
Additional cultivar information:(aka Evipo016)
Hybridized by Evison-Olesen

No fragrance

Bloom Shape:

Single

Bloom Diameter:

Large - 5 to 8 inches (12 to 20 cm)

Pruning Groups:

Geneva, Ohio

Amelia Court House, Virginia

Ellsworth, Wisconsin

On Mar 2, 2011, LadyAshleyR from Oakland, MD wrote:

Mine is also more of a burgundy color, and I was disappointed as well. If anyone has a nice REALLY red one, please let me know!!!
The one I do have, however, did wonderfully, and bloomed on year 2.
Excited to see it go for year 3!!!

EDIT:
Later on in year two, it did bloom a few blooms that were more red in color. I'm starting to wonder if it depends on how old the plant is. That was later in September.

On Jun 2, 2010, gardeningfun from Harpersfield, OH (Zone 5a) wrote:

I bought this plant from Bluestone Nurseries last summer and didn't get any flowers, but this year it is doing wonderful. I have several blooms already and it is in Part Shade/some sun. I have it on the north end of our house, in the front. I planted it there before knowing it was best in full sun and wanted to see how it did. I am not disappointed. I wanted that punch of color there. It is also, not real red, but more of a burgandy-red. That might change over time, too? I water it any time it is real hot and it does fine in high heat then. It probably helps that it is in part shade when it is real hot, too. We had a severe winter here at the top of Ohio and it survived blizzards, tons of snow and high winds.

On May 25, 2010, Massgirl from Franklin, MA wrote:

I bought this plant through an online catalog company. It was shipped to me last fall and this spring, it has really taken off! It's already about 5 feet tall, and has two blooms, and another on the way! It seems to be super happy where it is located - full sun most of the day. It does get droopy on real hot days (90 degrees+), but bounces right back after the shade comes along. Gorgeous blooms, more a deep magenta color than red. I love it!

On Jan 29, 2010, BajaBlue from Rancho Santa Rita, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Plant Care
Pruning Type 2 - In this group all first flowering comes from last season's ripening stems.

In early Spring watch for swelling leaf buds beginning to show. Cut all dead material off above these swelling buds.

Be sure all growth is tied to the trellis, etc. at this time. Do not tie too tightly, so growth will not be hampered or cracked by tying too tight.