Brazilian Sky Flower

Duranta stenostachya

Family: Verbenaceae (ver-be-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Duranta (door-AN-tuh) (Info)
Species: stenostachya (sten-oh-STAK-ee-uh) (Info)

Seed is poisonous if ingested

Medium Blue

Orlando, Florida

Baytown, Texas

Manchaca, Texas

New Braunfels, Texas

San Antonio, Texas (2 reports)

On Jun 19, 2012, Mixalis from Orlando, FL wrote:

This is my second year to enjoy this plant. It was shaped into a tree and is profusely in bloom. It has full Florida sun with medium watering. I did learn the berries are poisonous. Quoted from a Texas website on the plant:

The attractive fruits and the foliage have saponins that are poisonous to humans. Both are considered to be bitter and while poisonings in the US were unreported in 1986 when Poisonous Plants of California was published (Thomas C. Fuller and Elizabeth McClintock, University of California Press, 1986), there were reports of children becoming ill from eating berries in Australia. This description is based on our research of Duranta erecta and our observations of it growing in the nursery, in our own garden and in other gardens.

On Mar 28, 2010, stevesivek from Seabrook, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Love this bush but the hard freezes from this past winter in SE Texas has killed all 3 of my huge 8 year old bushes to the ground. Hoping that they will return from the base. Only time will tell.

On Jan 31, 2009, Texasalsa from San Antonio, TX wrote:

This plant seems to be gaining popularity in our South Texas area. I have two and they are thriving as well as my neighbor's bushes. We are wondering if they can be propagated by the seed which grows profusely on the plant every fall. They are like tiny golden capsules of gel. Do they need to be dried or can they be planted off the plant as is?

I definitely want to grow more of these beauties!! Any info would be appreciated....SE

On Apr 28, 2003, gbateman1 wrote:

I love this plant. Grows about 3' high in Houston and are covered Spring until Frost with small butterfly loving flowers in blue or white form. Cut back after winter and comes back very bushy.