Okra 'Clemson Spineless 80'

Abelmoschus esculentus

Family: Malvaceae (mal-VAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Abelmoschus (a-bel-MOS-kus) (Info)
Species: esculentus (es-kew-LEN-tus) (Info)
Cultivar: Clemson Spineless 80

York, South Carolina

Cedar Park, Texas

On Mar 30, 2012, lssfishhunter from Jonesville, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

On Mar 15, 2011, lewalcindortx from Dallas, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

I had great success with my 8 foot Okra "tree" in the summer of 2010. I did not expect such vigorous growth. In fact the plant spacing on mine was more like 24 inches. I ate a lot of okra last summer.

On Oct 24, 2010, messmeli from Cedar Park, TX wrote:

Bought 6 seedlings from a local nursery, these guys are awesome and doing well in a raised bed. They are now about 5' tall. I harvest at least once a week, fry them and have a nice appetizer for dinner! My only complaint are the aphids and sugar-like-ants that go after the sap. Also, next time I will space them more apart. Try not to let pods get too big, as they become tougher. I've been harvesting them when they are about 4-6" long. They have been a lot of fun and will definitely be a fall garden favorite.

On Nov 14, 2009, KJMurray from Fort Worth, TX wrote:

Plants finish 7-8' high, 3-4' diameter, with 3-4" diameter stems at base. Harvest is around 30 pods at 2.2 lbs per plant.

On Jul 4, 2009, WayOutMan from Thomasville, NC wrote:

Very easy plant to directly sow. About every seed that went in came up. I am already getting pods within 40 days, and that is about 3 weeks earlier than the package stated, so I an happy.

On Mar 7, 2008, CurtisJones from Longmont, CO wrote:

Clemson Spineless Okra 80 is earlier and more productive than the original 1939 All America Winner, Clemson Spineless. You donít have to live in the south to enjoy growing your own okra---it is easy to grow in most climates. Okra has so many uses! It is commonly known as the thickening agent in gumbo, but it can also be boiled, broiled, fried, roasted, steamed, canned, or pickled. The crunchy and tasty pods are high in Vitamin A and can be grown in almost any climate. Plants are 4í-5í tall. Related to the hollyhock, the beautiful flowers alone make it worth growing in your garden!