PlantFiles: Nasturtium
Tropaeolum majus 'Fordhook Favorite'

Family: Tropaeolaceae
Genus: Tropaeolum (tro-PEE-oh-lum) (Info)
Species: majus (MAY-jus) (Info)
Cultivar: Fordhook Favorite

Not Applicable

Red-Orange
Gold (Yellow-Orange)

Blue-Green
Leathery-Textured

Scarify seed before sowing

Positive MTVineman On Jun 11, 2010, MTVineman from Helena, MT (Zone 5a) wrote:

I have had this nasturtium do very well here in Montana. It seems to like poorer soil than most plants. If you over water and pamper it, it won't do well at all. Leave it alone and only water when necessary as well as plant in the poorer soil and you should get excellent results. Mine have climbed up to 5-6 ft and bloomed like crazy! I have been looking for the old fashioned climbing nasturtium for a long time now and this is the only one I could eventually find. Seems like all the other nasturtiums you find in stores anymore are the little bushy hybrid types that don't climb or get long and trailing. Or you find the variegated variety which I am not fond of. I was thankful to finally find this variety and have it preform so well for me. They smell heavenly and make a great addition to salads if you can bring yourself to pick the blossoms and seed pods.

Neutral tom8o On Jul 22, 2009, tom8o from Pueblo, CO wrote:

This plant is said to be a climber and also to trail over walls, etc. so far it has not done much of either. The weather has been 90+ and wetter than usual and due to watering new sod, I may have over-watered it. The plants at south end of the row have grown better than at the north end even though no significant difference in exposure exists, only about two-thirds of the seeds germinated, the center ones mostly did not germinate.
Only the plants at the south end have blossomed. This is my first experience with nasturtiums so I hesitate to say it is not my fault. Planted 5/7/09, today is 7/21/09.

Pueblo, Colorado