PlantFiles: Mexican Squash, Tatuma, Calabacita
Cucurbita pepo 'Eastern Delight'

Family: Cucurbitaceae (koo-ker-bih-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Cucurbita (koo-KER-bih-ta) (Info)
Species: pepo (PEP-oh) (Info)
Cultivar: Eastern Delight

Type:
Zucchini (summer)

41 to 50 days

Mature Skin Color:
Light Green

Size:
Less than 1 pound (0.5 kg)

Habit:
Bush

Powdery Mildew (PM)

Hybrid

By Julyfly
Thumbnail #1 of Cucurbita pepo by Julyfly

Positive dawnjerome On Jul 1, 2010, dawnjerome from El Paso, TX wrote:

I also live in El Paso, Tx. I have found seeds for this mexican squash at Dollar General of all places! I planted them in my garden and they have come up quick, I think I may have overwatered a little because they are looking yellow now.

Neutral Farmerdill On Jul 31, 2009, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

A 50 day hybrid version of the Tatume ( Mexican white squash). A pale green club shaped zucchini growing to about 9 inches long. Tolerant of Powdery mildew. Similar in size, shape and color to the Lebanese zucchini Magda,

Negative Julyfly On Jul 30, 2009, Julyfly from El Paso, TX wrote:

I have not been able to find seeds for this plant, called Mexican Squash or Calabacitas in my area. The little squash are plentiful in our local grocery stores but are too immature to collect seeds from. The best size to buy in the store are the ones that are 4-5 inches long. The larger ones may have tough skin when cooked. These do not have to be peeled for cooking. I would love to get some seeds as I think they would grow well in my part of the country, El Paso, TX.

El Paso, Texas