PlantFiles: Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Hank'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Hank

» View all varieties of Tomatoes

One member has or wants this plant for trade.

Ferment seeds before storing

By catman529
Thumbnail #2 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by catman529

No positives

Neutral catman529 On Mar 11, 2009, catman529 from Franklin, TN wrote:

Prolific yielder of small (2-inch) flattened, pinkish-red fruits. At one time I had 40 ripe fruit from 3 plants that got only about 5hr of sun per day.

Flavor is a very acidic old-fashioned tomato flavor; sometimes so acidic I thought I noticed a bitter edge. Letting the fruit completely ripen helped to remove the bitter edge, which seemed to come from any green part of the fruit.

The fruits were also VERY seedy. Seeds would go everywhere if I wasn't careful when I ate one. This kind of bothered me; I prefer a less-seedy tomato.

I noticed the foliage was a shade lighter than the usual dark green. All 4 plants I grew were the same in this way.

Unfortunately, I won't be growing it again. I'm going after some better varieties this year. If you like a very acidic tomato and don't mind a lot of seeds, give this one a try.

Franklin, Tennessee